Gentrification

by: dwright1
Change in Oakland

Gentrification has slowly changed Oakland into a brand new city but like with in positively negativity comes along with it. Gentrification is also slowly tearing down the true culture of Oakland. In 2004 lots of people move into Oakland due to the cheap living cost. Foreclosed homes were being bought and flipped and were sold or rented out at high prices to the incoming middle class. Crime and murder rates stated to drop as well. But police brutality rates are still high.

Even though gentrification is supposed to be the process where a city is being renewed or rebuilt and potentially being the city back to life. Basically gentrification is supposed to make urban neighborhoods much nicer with more options, better housing, jobs, local businesses, and more opportunities.

These positive changes can't be afforded by the average person living In Oakland. Rent and food prices have increased tremendously over the past few years. The average rent price can range between 800$ - 2000$ for a one bedroom apartment which is very unaffordable for the low income residents of Oakland. Also some local businesses are unaffordable on a low income budget but some food places do set their prices at affordable rates. Even though race is an issue with the population of blacks have drastically increased over the years while the population of white increase day by day. This change in population and culture is due to the bittersweet changes caused by gentrification.

In 2004 Oakland had a large amount of foreclosed homes in the area that were being bought and sold or rented out by the income middle class. The incoming middle class was basically the new middle class was moving In while the old moved out. Since then the rent prices are outrageous. Just in two years in time rent prices as increase by 35 percent. For example in 2010 a large studio styled apartment with a balcony, parking, and the blinding was in a very popular area in Oakland. The apartment was advertised for 800$ per month and two years later the price increased to 1150$ per month.

Even though the rent is considered relatively affordable compared to other neighboring cities such as San Francisco. Also the room prices are causing a big population change in Oakland. In the last 10 years the population of whites grew 4.2% on top of the already 31.3% that was already living in Oakland. Years passed while the population of African-Americans residues has increased 7.7% in the past 10 years. Average African-American residence due to further cities such as Pittsburgh, Stockton, Antioch, ect because the rent and housing prices are set at way lower prices compared to Oakland.Oakland has always been seen as a well known city for the high levels of diverse city. Especially in the West Oakland area. You can see all types of religions, cultures, races, and ethnicities.

But once the uptown area was form it was seen as an exclusive community that was basically a much nicer and rebuild area that consists of many local businesses, opportunities, jobs, etc. The now considered downtown area of Oakland is the more one down part of the city. This invisible border calls so if you between the two parts of the city.

This passive aggressive feud mainly consisted of not welcoming the residents of the downtown area of Oakland into the uptown area. Even though the uptown area is really tear even though the uptown area is relatively very diverse and welcoming place but only welcoming of relatively very diverse and welcoming place but only welcoming of a fewCrime rates has also dropped a lot in Oakland. But the amount of police brutality has increased since gentrification hit Oakland.

The police stop rates for black has in 2015 was at 62%. Even Though police brutality is a problem in almost every state Oakland is one of the first cities to go from a ghost town with barely any protection to a police filled city with a several offices on duty ready to make Oakland a “safer” place. Before the city was renewed residents could barely get help from local police. Though crime rates have lowered the police brutally has increased slot over the past few years.

The sine gentrification hit Oakland the number of officers grew from 10,000 to now 409,723 officers on duty.Gentrification had cause many good changes but it causing a lot of problems in the process of this change. Gentrification has brought Oakland back to life. The city is slowly improving into a new place. But the city has become very expensive over last few years.

This change has basically brought life to Oakland but yet bring problems along with it that could potentially harm the true culture of Oakland. Local landlords and business owners should take in consideration that everyone in Oakland is not living in wealth and take that to make Oakland an even better place.

Your speaking about an

Submitted by Douglas Gosselin on Fri, 2016-01-29 13:18.

Your speaking about an important issue, and I can tell through your writing that it is something you truly care about. Your work flows very well and I think that through your writing your voice can be clearly heard. Great job.

I am intrigued to learn about

Submitted by leximaggelet on Fri, 2016-01-29 15:56.

I am intrigued to learn about the issue concerning gentrification in Oakland and surrounding areas. I really enjoyed reading your essay and learning about this problem. I knew there were situations like this occurring; However, I had no idea how large of an impact they had on many people in the lower classes. Thank you for writing such a thought provoking, and informational piece on this topic. I loved how you used very specific fasts and numbers to support all of your claims.

I like how you weren't biased

Submitted by HeilmannChase on Fri, 2016-01-29 23:59.

I like how you weren't biased in this essay and it was much more pure information. I had no idea that gentrification was going on, and it's been happening seen 2004. Gentrification sounds like a good idea in theory, it's pretty much just raising property values, real estate will be worth more, but that's part of the problem as you said. Properties' values will still go up even if they haven't been flipped, just by virtue of the fact that the properties around them will be worth more. This will push people that can't afford these new rent prices or pay their mortgage on their house. Obviously gentrification can be good, but I feel like the city's education and employment force should be built up before large-scale gentrification can occur, just so people will be able to afford it better. I'm sure that this gentrification will eventually help these people that are getting pushed out though.

Clear Ideas and Powerful Topic

Submitted by MariaS on Sun, 2016-01-31 21:31.

I liked reading your post a lot. It brought light to both sides of an issue that impacts so many people. The ideas you wrote about made sense and were explained well. However, it might be good to define gentrification a little more specifically early on. Nevertheless, your writing expressed the results of gentrification thoroughly and precisely, and clearly showed the problems with it in addition to how you see it impacting Oakland. I thought your ending was very well written as it acted as a good summary while offering alternative actions.

Clear Ideas and Powerful Topic

A Job Well Done

lovebugleen's picture
Submitted by lovebugleen on Mon, 2016-02-01 23:47.

You have expressed yourself and your thoughts well in this informative piece of writing. You brought to life the antagonization of the middle class by a movement known as gentrification in which urban planning is bieng skewed for greed. Your paragraphs flow nicely and include statistics which help bild credibility in you as a writer. However, to improve, you could include in-text citations to directly back up your claims and have a more defined explanation of gentrification. Overall, this is a job well done.

As mentioned in previous

Submitted by Carlo on Tue, 2016-02-02 20:28.

As mentioned in previous comments, it would be best to define the term gentrification. This way readers will have an expectation before you describe the phenomena. Besides this, your data and evidence are well organized. You also see the positives and counter arguments to the issue which takes different perspectives into consideration.