Getting a chill from The Invisible Man

by: XLiu

Recently I read pages 7- 58 in “The Invisible Man”, by H.G.Wells, and I enjoy the book just as interesting as I thought it’s going to be years ago. I believe I was in 7th grade when I look up to the blackboard and saw a poster of “The Invisible Man” among the other book posters. It stands out to me because it was designed in a mystery looking way, urging my nosy sense. I did try to look for the book in that class, but it turn out that there was none! If you don’t have certain books, why post a poster of them?! However, I slowly began to forget about what my nosy sense long for, maybe until last week after I saw the book lying on the desk.

One line from this part of the book that stands out for me is: “But then I began to wonder why, if he had no arm, what was keeping his sleeve up and open as he showed me how he reached….No, there was nothing in his sleeve.” I think this is a part where readers began to wonder about an explanation for that, or even trying to identify the man with their imaginations. It gives you the chill as well, if you only read this sentence without other description the old doctor gave.

Another line that caught my interest was: “He ignored greetings from villagers on those walks and seemed to enjoy scaring children who teased him.” This stood out for me because sometime I enjoy scaring little kids as well. Not that I’m a freak or that I have mental issues, it’s just a sort of a small revenge for those I was annoyed by (there were others who did nothing, but was lucky enough to be there), you know how little kids are just so annoying sometime.

This section of “The Invisible Man” reminds me of something that happened to me. One time turn off the bathroom light while I was leaving, and eventually I heard little kids scream. Since I not that much of a jerk, so I decide to go back in to turn the light on………………….....and off, on, off, on, off, on, off and more screams. During Halloween, I would cover my face with my hair, hide behind a corner and jump out whenever a little kid passes by. Sometime I would call up my friend with hidden number, and I would fake out my voices to bother them. Okay, okay, I admit I’m a bit immature sometime.

What's probably going to happen next is that the villagers would find out the invisible man’s secret, and maybe they’ll try to hunt him down due to their fears. The main character would have to continue his research while hiding from the villagers, anything could happen to him if he gets caught.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of this book because I believe the story has just began to go uphill a bit. I’m curious about the identity of the invisible man, what’s his experiment about, and why is it so important? How did he became invisible, why did he came into this village? Which hopefully will be solve as I read on.

The Book is Interesting and Also Confusing as Well

Submitted by ctai on Thu, 2009-02-05 10:07.

I think what you are saying is all true and it is very interesting as well. I agree with you that this book is really interesting and that this book really makes you think about what is going to happen and what is going to happen next. I also wondered the same thing that you wonder as well. I was wondering how he had no arms and stuff toos. I just think that it is really freaky and that he has no head as well. Also the invisible man is trying to scare people and I dont think that is right and I don't even know why he is doing this. I am aslo looking foward to reading the rest of this book because people are in fear right nows and I want to see what happens and I hope someone solves it as well and that what is so important.

O MY GOODNESS!!

Submitted by 14castroi on Tue, 2009-02-10 12:52.

This book sounds extremely kewl maybe i'll give it a little look see, but do i get it at the library? would they have it? hope so. You're right it does give you the chills and i didnt even read it.

;? =} ;? =] ;b Isabel C. Baccalaureate School For Global Education

It kind of turn out that the

Submitted by XLiu on Thu, 2009-02-19 13:58.

It kind of turn out that the book isn't so much of a chilll, well, at least to me. It's more like a record of all the crimes an insane man had done, it'll mess up your mind if you read too much of it.