Glory

by: Dstahulak

In silence of the lambs director Jonathan Demme tells the story of a group of SS officers brutally stripped from their families, tortured and gassed at the hands of a vicious corps of Jewish cleansing agents... Or so the movie would have gone if Quentin Tarantino had gotten his shot at writing history. "EARLY IN THE spring of 1944, when I was quite a bit younger than I am now, I parachuted into Nazi-occupied Poland as the leader of a team of Brooklyn-born commandos. We landed in a field not far from the train tracks that fed Jews to the gas chambers of Auschwitz. My team laid explosive charges on the tracks, destroying them utterly, and then I moved quickly on foot to the death camp itself, where I found Josef Mengele, the Angel of Death, in bed. I shot him in the face, though not before lecturing him on his sins. Before I killed him, he cried like a little Nazi bitch." Jeffery Goldberg, writing for The Atlantic describes a childhood dream of avenging his fallen kin, which summarizes the purpose he perceives in Inglourious Basterds. Mr. Goldberg goes on to describe his conversation with Tarantino “The Jews are always the victims!” Jeffery describes the mutual frustration Tarantino and he share in the classic role of Jews in cinema.

Goldberg agrees with the atrocities committed against Nazis in the movie as necessary, for the most part. During his day with Tarantino Jeffery began to question whether or not a Jew would commit some of the acts portrayed in his movie. While filled with a sense of fulfillment from bashed in Nazi skulls it seems as though Jeffery was at the same time wondering if put in this situation even the most righteously furious Jew would carve, into the head of an enemy combatant, the symbol most closely associate with Nazi Germany these days. “I would still shoot Mengele in the face. That would be a moral necessity. But I wouldn’t carve a swastika into his forehead. That just doesn’t sound like the Jewish thing to do.” With all due respect Mr. Goldberg, you have made a fine argument, you have presented your moral standpoint, but this is a Quentin Tarantino movie…. What did you expect?

Inglourious Basterds is a

Submitted by JRamirez on Thu, 2009-12-17 10:16.

Inglourious Basterds is a Tarantino film that dealt with much controverey but recieved a lot of praise. Known as a spagehtii western, I will have to agree with you, Dstahulak, that the film deals with the idea of what if the Jews rebeled back and acted violent and cruel just like the nazis as well.

"This is a Quentin Tarantino movie... what did u expect?" I liked when you said this because persoanlly, as a Tarantino film worshiper, the film dealt with  alot of great work and if only Tarantino got a shot in writing history in reality. 

"A group of hardened Nazi killers stalk their prey in Nazi-occupied France as a Jewish cinema owner plots to take down top-ranking SS officers during the official premiere of a high-profile German propaganda film. As far as Lt. Aldo Raine (aka Aldo the Apache," Brad Pitt) -- is concerned, the only good Nazi is a dead Nazi. Raine's mission is to strike fear into the heart of Adolf Hitler by brutally murdering as many goose-steppers as possible, or die trying. In order to accomplish that goal, Lt. Raine recruits a ruthless team of cold-blooded killers known as "The Basterds" which includes baseball-bat-wielding Bostonian Sgt. Donnie Donowitz (aka "The Bear Jew," Eli Roth) and steely psychopath Sgt. Hugo Stiglitz (Til Schweiger), among others. When the Basterds' secret rendezvous with turncoat German actress Bridget von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) goes awry, they learn that the Nazis will be staging the French premiere of "The Nation's Pride," a rousing propaganda film based on the exploits of German hero Fredrick Zoller (Daniel Brühl), at a modest theater owned by Jewish cinephile Shoshanna Dreyfus (Mélanie Laurent), posing as a Gentile after the brutal murder of her family by the ruthless Col. Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz). As the Basterds hatch an explosive plan to take out as many Nazis as possible at the premiere, they remain completely oblivious to the fact that Shoshanna, too, longs to bring the Third Reich to its knees, and that she's willing to sacrifice her beloved theater in the process." ~ Jason Buchanan, All Movie Guide

Dear David, I enjoyed your

Submitted by tkim on Thu, 2009-12-17 12:32.

Dear David,

I enjoyed your post, "Glory," because Inglorius Basterds is one of my favorite movies. The movie was hilarious. I do not think that was the exact way Hitler died but it was still funny. The most brutal soldier was probably the Bear Jew. The way he bashed the guy's head in with a bat was brutal.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "During his day with Tarantino Jeffery began to question whether or not a Jew would commit some of the acts portrayed in his movie." This stood out for me because I agree, what kind of Jew would do those things that were showed in the movie.

Another sentence that stood out was: "'The Jews are always the victims!'" This stood out for me because it is true. Throughout history, the Jews were blamed for everything and some were killed. The Holocaust was not the only event in history that had slaughtered the Jewish people.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.