God Save The Queen

by: zeegeewee

My topic of monarchy is important because it deals with the big issue, does society need a figurehead, a monarch, a guiding family with good intentions for the people? My answer is yes. C.S. Lewis once said, “Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison.” Monarchies are important because they stand as important figureheads, a reminder of traditions and eras past. As Tim Stanley writes, “The Queen’s reign encompassed an extraordinary breadth of social history, covering both the highs and lows of British life—throughout all of which, the Queen was the one constant... To review her history is to review a history of ourselves: like flicking through an old family photo album... In an age of economic crisis, largely spurred by visions of social reform that spiraled hopelessly out of control, her 1950s conformity brings comfort.” Many people believe that the monarchy is outdated. I agree with them in the fact the a monarchy should no longer be a form of government, but aside from politics, monarchies are important. Without them, a country can forget it’s background and roots. Monarchies provide a sense of comfort and tradition. If lost, a country will simply turn to celebrities for the same sense of awe and leadership. The problem with this is celebrities tend to be bad role models and get overwhelmed with power. With a monarchy, the entire family has been raised to serve the people and perform their duty to their country. Monarchies are just as important today as they were hundreds of years ago. Stanley claims, “the monarchy has proven to be Britain’s spine of steel throughout a century of decline and declension...God save the Queen for as long as is humanly possible.”

Your post brings up an

Submitted by changes on Tue, 2012-03-06 17:19.

Your post brings up an interesting point: if we lack a figurehead we begin to worship millionaires. I think this has definitely happened in America and although I don't know if this has happened in England or not I do not think that it is as big in England. I think that we do need an example even if they don't actually rule the country. Your paper sounds very interesting and I would love to read it.

That is a good point. I think

Submitted by zeegeewee on Mon, 2012-03-12 11:51.

That is a good point. I think it would be beneficial to me as well as my paper to research the British Monarchy from an American point of view as well as points of view from the United Kingdom. As an American, it is hard to keep a unbiased view, whether it's for a yearning for the comfort and tradition of a monarchy or a pushing away from it to support my own American democracy. This will definatly change my view of my sources and prompt me to find some better and more diverse articles. Thank you.