Great Gatsby 2013 Movie

by: Sami2016

The 2013 version of The Great Gatsby is an impressive depiction of the events that take place in the novel. A major theme throughout the story is the importance of materialism in the 1920's. From the extravagant lifestyle blatantly shown and talked about in the story, to even the colors and contrasting lighting, I think that the importance of materialism is represented quite well. Beautiful, expensive clothes, his expensive car and castle-like home, material items are obviously important to Gatsby. Flashy and desirable, Gatsby puts on an extraordinary show, attempting to win Daisy’s heart. However, there are not just obvious examples of materialism. The colors in the film are unusually vibrant, which I believe is meant to emphasize physicalities. Lighting is also significant. Darker, greyish tones are more prevalent in the valley of ashes, or the poverty-stricken part of town. Whereas, light, colorful tones show up more in the wealthier areas. Content itself is not nearly enough to make an exceptional film. I truly commend the makers of this version of The Great Gatsby I thought the main points of the novel clearly pulled through into the movie, which is not such a simple task when you are missing narration from the novel.

Photo from: www.imdb.com

The Great Gatsby

Submitted by shum.sara on Fri, 2014-11-21 09:09.

Hi Sami, I have read the Great Gatsby and watched the new movie as well. I definitely thought the director, Baz Luhrmann, did a great job in portraying the intricate details and themes from Scott Fitzgerald. I like how you mentioned lighting in the movie, “Darker, greyish tones are more prevalent in the valley of ashes, or the poverty-stricken part of town. Whereas, light, colorful tones show up more in the wealthier areas.” While watching it I did not notice that aspect, however next time I do, I will take a particular interest in the lighting. Along with what you said, a place I think the movie really coincides with the book is when we are first introduced to Daisy. The book mentions the room and flowing curtains in such great detail, and the movie puts those exact words into images in that scene.

I really liked your outlook

Submitted by angelinatermunde on Sun, 2014-12-21 18:20.

I really liked your outlook on this movie! I have watched this movie so many time I began to lose count! I believe this movie is a brilliant movie because like you said it does show a lot of accuracy that the book had. The contrasting of colors between the rich and the poor you noted was a very awesome analyzation. In the movie too I also noticed that the main theme of the green light was very important in the movie just like the book, which was very cool!