Gun Control

by: gnakamura

Gun control is a big issue in our country. I think guns are a very important part of our society, but have been taken advantage of by many people around our country. Although it can be for the safety of people, it can also take the lives of a person or group of people.
There are many negatives in not having enough rules on guns in America. Policemen for example, are pulling the trigger more than they really should be. Also, there are massive shootings at schools and churches and all different kinds of places with many innocent people involved. It is sad we can't trust our society wherever we go and always have to be on the lookout for something suspicious. Either our government has to make stricter gun rules or we need to get rid of guns completely. "If government can't protect you, you should have the right to protect yourself.”
Even though there are many conflicts that come with guns, they can also be used in a good way especially for safety. A study has shown that nations that have more guns actually have less crime, so why should gun control be an issue? It is the irresponsible people who have the guns that are the ones causing shootings and deaths and why it has become such a big issue. I think it is okay for people to carry around guns for personal safety, but there is no guarantee that that person is going to be responsible enough to use it only for safety reasons. Our society has so much power these days and it is sad to see some of us take advantage of it like that

Utah only state to allow guns at college
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/18355953/ns/us_news-life/t/utah-only-state-all...

Facts that prove that guns make us safer
http://jpfo.org/articles-assd03/18-good-gun-facts.htm

Annotate the Gun Article with me using Hypothes.is

I agree that gun control is a

Submitted by tina188 on Fri, 2016-02-19 11:22.

I agree that gun control is a big issue. I think that even though guns are used for 'self defense,' that privilege can be taken advantage of. It is hard to tell whether or not people are 'stable' or capable of owning a gun. And it can be contradicting because some people are protecting themselves from harm like guns yet using guns to protect themselves. It is like an endless cycle.

The thing that is hard about

Submitted by allyschloss on Fri, 2016-02-19 11:33.

The thing that is hard about this subject is that we can't just get rid of them as much as I or others would want to. Someone could always sneakily keep one, so I think there should be way more laws on guns to keep everyone safe because people recently have been using guns to harm others not protect them.

The thing that is hard about

The thing that is hard about

No. Just No.

Submitted by kirbym19 on Fri, 2016-02-19 11:35.

It is completely crazy to claim that guns make a country safer. They don't protect lives, they just cause more death. And I wouldn't really go as far to say that JPFO is a reliable, unbiased source.

Some Counterpoints

Submitted by Roan522 on Fri, 2016-02-19 11:45.

I would like to disagree with the argument that guns make us safer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_...
According to the United Office on Drugs and Crime, sourced by wikipedia, the United States has the 11th highest body count of intentional murders caused by firearms in the world, with approximately 12,000 murders involving guns each year. The only "developed" countries who this places us behind is Brazil and Russia, both of whom have massive problems with drugs and organized crime. Sorting by per capita murders puts us farther down the list, at 121 with approximately 3.8 murders per 100,000 people. While this may a very small number, the only "developed" countries we are behind are Russia and Brazil. So, America is not safer. America is not protected, and especially not with guns. I'm not saying that guns are all of the problem or the be all to end all, or that all guns could possibly be removed from dangerous people, but when you have 12,000 dead Americans every year, you have a problem.