Hansel and Gretel

by: 16shenw

I created the Scratch animation tHansel and Gretel as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story are stories that can be related to your life or it can be based on fantasy. However, the all of the stories show how the character has learned a lesson that can be relavent to your life.

The lesson it teaches you can change your perspective in what you think of the situation as if you were there.
My story is about a poor family with a stepmother and 2 children and a father. The two children, Hansel and Gretel are wondering in the woods and stumble upon a gingerbread house, since they were so hungry they started to eat the Gingerbread house. Then the witch that owns this house captures Hansel and wants to have both Hansel and Gretel to be her dinner. However, Gretel outsmarts the witch to help save Hansel. One of the ethical decisions I had put for the player is to choose whether or not to push the witch into the stove. And if they made a bold decision then Hansel will be free and they would be able to return home. However, if they didn’t push the witch to the stove then the game ends.

My story was inspired by the story of Hasel and Gretel and the ideas I had when I was reading the plot of the story and I knew about what the ethical decisions I could make and I had an idea about the backgrounds and what characters should look like.

I think I was successful in creating my story because the requirements that I had for the storys that I has a plot that 13 year olds can view and I have two endings based on the ethical decision the player makes, the game is interactive, the story has an ethical decision that the player can interacte, and I did give credit to the author that I had used their script for my project. However, the unsuccessful part of my story is that my story isn’t 3 minutes long.

Kayla

16langk's picture
Submitted by 16langk on Thu, 2012-01-05 00:00.

I liked the drawings, and I also really liked how you made the sprites talk.
I I noticed that your ethical story isn't at least three minutes long, so you should add more.
The ethical dilemma in your story is that Hansel is captured by the evil witch and you have to help Gretel decide whether to push the evil witch into the fireplace or not. If you push her in, then you free Hansel. The mechanisms to make the decision is good, but the unethical decision isn't really tempting. Also it's kind of weird that the right thing to do is to push someone into a fireplace, although it's to help Hansel.

Silvia

Submitted by 16camposs on Fri, 2012-01-06 00:12.

I liked how your animations talked and we could hear actual voices instead of just reading in our heads and some people read slower than others so that was really cool.
I noticed that towards the end the characters were talking to fast and at the beginning it was all slow and at the end it went by fast. I think to solve this problem you should just expand more time for dialogue.
The ethical dilemma in your story was sort of confusing because at the end the right choice was to push the old lady into the oven and if you didn't push her then you made the wrong choice, which in my opinion is very confusing and gives a really funny ethical lesson. The lesson most likely sounds like something sort of like if someone hurts you or someone you love then you should hurt them back? That is why I'm not sure what the solution would have a positive influence to the viewers but I still thought it was cool.

I liked how you made the

16islamr's picture
Submitted by 16islamr on Tue, 2012-01-24 16:01.

I liked how you made the characters talk and the characters that you used are really cute, even the witch!

I noticed that you didn't really show an ethical decision. From what I saw, it looks as if it is good to push people into ovens to save yourself and others. In real life terms, does that mean self defense is always the right thing to do? You have to explain that more in your story so that its clear on what the ethical decision is.

Based on what I previously said, your ethical decision wasn't that clear in my opinion. The choices weren't really tempting either. However, the mechanism for making choices was very clear.

I liked your animation a

Submitted by 17levkoviche on Tue, 2012-04-24 14:02.

I liked your animation a lot.
The ethical dilemma was definitely to decide whether or not to push the evil witch into the oven.
I got to interact in the animation by getting to decide whether or not Gretel would make that decision.
At the end I tried both choices to see how the story would end.

Your animation was

Submitted by 17loraa on Wed, 2012-04-25 21:23.

Your animation was entertaining. It allowed the viewer to make an ethical decision that decided the direction of the story. I also liked how you made voices, which made the text easier to follow. However, some actions and sounds overlapped,which could have been corrected. I would have also liked to be able to make more decisions, but overall, this was a very good animation.