Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, by JK Rowling

by: Bryan L.
The cover for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is the fifth book in the Harry Potter series, written by British author JK Rowling. This book takes place following the events in the fourth book, the Goblet of Fire. Key words and phrases in this book are "Harry, Voldemort, Umbridge, corrupt bureaucracy, Sirius, sudden death, Snape's worst memory, Educational Decree, biased media, government intervention at Hogwarts, Department of Mysteries, and abuse of power. Below is a summary of the summary of this book. Why is it the summary of the summary of this book instead of the summary? Because this book is the longest book in the entire Harry Potter series at an amazing 870 pages in the US print version. Summarizing the entire book would take a ridiculous amount of time to make and read.

The Summary of the Summary:
Harry Potter is stuck in Privet Drive. As usual, his step-family are a bunch of jerks to him (although Harry does insult them quite often). All of a sudden, a piece of spoiler-worthy plot happens and Harry is extracted from Privet Drive. After a series of plot, Harry arrives at Hogwarts, and he and his friends meet their new Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher, Professor Umbridge. Umbridge was assigned to her position by the Ministry of Magic so they could manipulate what went on at Hogwarts, and she is inherently evil, as discovered by Harry while he was in her detention. She also happens to be the most worst teacher ever, making her students read a textbook to substitute for her clear lack of teaching skill. Some more plot happens, and Harry continues to has this reoccurring dream of a door in the Department of Mysteries. Harry and Co. also get fed up with lackluster teaching style, and form a Defense Against the Dark Arts Club, which they name "Dumbledore's Army", as the Ministry fears that Dumbledore will use the students at Hogwarts to overthrow the government. After some more plot, Harry gets a vision that forces him to stop what he was doing and get to the Department of Mysteries. He reluctantly lets the other members of Dumbledore's Army go with him, and they set off to the Ministry building, to confront Dumbledore's greatest fear.

I've sawn the movie before,

eric_yu2001's picture
Submitted by eric_yu2001 on Sat, 2016-01-09 15:35.

I've sawn the movie before, but I haven't read the book before. From what I know from the movie is that this summary is extremely well constructed, quickly reviewing the details rather than describing every single object. What I appreciate is the fact that you ended your summary with a tad bit of suspense, possibly helping readers become more engaged with the book that they might possibly read. Nice job!