Healing with Music

by: slewis
What I'm good at
Career goals

Music isn't just for entertainment anymore.

Scientist are currently working on finding more information on the link between music and your health. Part of this research has resulted in a relatively new career called Music Therapy. Those in the field of Music therapy are discovering that music can be used to "help cancer patients, children with ADD, and others, and even hospitals are beginning to use music and music therapy to help with pain management, to help ward off depression, to promote movement, to calm patients, to ease muscle tension, and for many other benefits that music and music therapy can bring." (http://stress.about.com/od/tensiontamers/a/music_therapy.htm)

The American Music Therapy Association defines Music Therapy as:

"an established healthcare profession that uses music to address physical, emotional, cognitive, and social needs of individuals of all ages.  Music therapy improves the quality of life for persons who are well and meets the needs of children and adults with disabilities or illnesses." (http://www.musictherapy.org)

I say this is a relatively new job in the medical field, because the first music therapy degree program in the world wasn't founded until 1944, where it was housed at Michigan State University. Currently there are only about 70 degree programs in the nation. About half of the programs available offer a Master's degree, and it is the only graduate level degree that can be earned in Music Therapy.

I am greatly looking forward to seeing some of the medical advances we as a society can make with Music Therapy once it becomes more widely recognized and implemented as a means of treatment for patients. There's a whole new world of medicine out there, and it all started with a little music.

Music Education

Submitted by AmoraWHS12 on Thu, 2012-02-09 11:13.

I saw this topic and liked the sound of the title. When I looked further into it I started to get fascinated with the subject. I just wrote my first blog about wanting to increase my education of music in my future and looking into music therapy would be an excelllent opportunity to learn more about music and broaden my potential for a career in a music-related industry. I'm sure you are aware of the effect music has on the muman psyche, emotions and functions and I am also in agreement that this effect can be used for beneficial purposes.

music

Submitted by heryan on Sun, 2012-03-18 22:09.

Dear Stephanie,
I enjoyed your article “Healing with Music” because I find music like a way of relzxing yourself. Theres a song for everything; love, family, friends, problems, and many more. Every time that theres something wrong with us we will always find a song that describes it. Songs describe the way we feel went we cant.

One sentence from the article that stands the most for me is “help cancer patients, children with ADD, and others, and even hospitals are beginning to use music and music therapy to help with pain management, to help ward off depression, to promote movement, to calm patients, to ease muscle tension, and for many other benefits that music and music therapy can bring," I agree this sentence because music helps alot. One of the things that music helps with is anger problems. When I am angry i listen to music to calm down. We all listen to music for everything, music is the answer to the problems that seem impossible to solve.

Another sentence that stand out for me is “I am greatly looking forward to seeing some of the medical advances we as a society can make with Music Therapy once it becomes more widely recognized and implemented as a means of treatment for patients," because i will also like to see how this music in therapy works. I personally think that it will work great, because it helps me a lot.

Thanks for this article. I really look forward of reading your response to my comment, because I would like to know what you think.