Of history and sentiment

I am knowing. I am wisdom. I am a woman sitting alone in a dark room with a crystal ball in her lap, looking at the days to come. I am the hill that children climb up, only to roll right back down, screaming their heads off. I am all these things. My name allows it. Kendra.

It provides an explanation in my thirst for knowledge and my desire to simply look down and be able to see the world before me. My last name is pure information. It tells me where I'm from. A stream in Scotland is where I will someday return. It’s where I belong. My name demands it.

Between the wise prophetess and the Scottish stream, a Germanic red flower grows. A Rose. It grew off of my great-grandmother’s bush, and was clipped from her branch to be passed down to me.

My name is unique and has it’s own singular meaning. It has significance and reason. I have no nicknames because I need none. My name alone gives definition to a splatter-painted canvas of history and sentiment and, without it, I would only be a muddy mess of confusing colors.

Poetry

Submitted by macklegend on Fri, 2014-10-03 12:46.

Wow, this is really moving Kendra. I like that it isn't super literal, more poetic and figurative. It makes you think about how the name doesn't make the person, the person makes the name.

Your Name!

JustinOHS's picture
Submitted by JustinOHS on Fri, 2014-10-03 17:50.

Kendra, I think you did a great job on your poem! I feel like it is much more poetic than my own prose poem, and has a very deep meaning as to what your name means to you. I really appreciate the line stating that you have no nicknames because you need none, as it is not very common that a person completely likes the name given to them, and understands the reasoning behind there name, whether it was thought about or not when the name was chosen. I also feel like the sheer amount of simile and metaphor in this piece really makes it easy to visualize what your name represents to you. Just one question, what is the hill supposed to represent? Stubbornness? Overall, great job on your prose poem!

High Hill

KendraPOHS's picture
Submitted by KendraPOHS on Sun, 2014-11-16 13:17.

Hi Justin. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I really appreciate all the comments you made (as well as everyone else's) and they have encouraged me to write more. Responding to your question about what the hill represents, it doesn't really symbolize anything except for one of the meanings of my name. One of the definitions is literally 'high hill.' Still, I think it's interesting how you interpreted it as 'stubbornness'. Once again, thanks for commenting and I hope this clears things up.

Amazed

Submitted by ddelgado on Thu, 2014-10-09 13:45.

SmileI am honestly amazed with what I have just read, I didn't want to stop reading it it was so interesting and attention grabbing... I loved it.

Dear Kendra:I am happy with

RMorales's picture
Submitted by RMorales on Wed, 2014-11-05 11:39.

Dear Kendra:
I am happy with your post, "Of history and sentiment," because it describe the way your are,I also like poems and i really like this one.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "My name is unique and has it’s own singular meaning. It has significance and reason." I think this is awesome because it says things that your name means and i think its perfect the way you said this.

Another sentence that I was interested was "My last name is pure information. It tells me where I'm from. A stream in Scotland is where I will someday return. ." This stood out for me because the first thing i can say is that it rhymes and as i said before its perfect.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I wrote a poem and i got all of this awesome comments from my friends saying that was really good i'm just lying.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i hope to see more poems from you.