A History of Gaming

How Has gaming grown and evolved throughout the years?

Gaming started back further than what most people think. Most people when what you ask them when gaming started they’ll say that it was when pong first came out, that isn’t exactly right.

Pong was the first commercial success that really got the gaming industry kicked off. It also is what brought gaming to the public attention. In reality gaming has been around since the 50’s to be used as simulation and training for the military, there were some public and civilian games but it wasn’t until the Magnavox Odyssey came out in the 70’s that video games became a huge commercial item. That’s when gaming truly began to become the billion dollar industry that it has become today.

Gaming then really became a huge success when Atari came out with the game Pong A game that everyone knows. That was only a start and still not the home games that we see now. It started a generation of games to be known as arcade games which were found in all sorts of places from restaurants to arcades themselves.

This began the revolution and industry that has taken the hearts of many millions if not billions of people all across the world. Throughout the years since it's creation it has gone from starting as simulations to arcade games and from arcade games to consoles that set up to your television all the way down to virtual reality systems that we have with the HTC VIVE and the Oculus rift.

Works Cited

"The History Of Gaming: An Evolving Community." TechCrunch. Web. 31 Oct. 2015. https://via.hypothes.is/http://techcrunch.com/2015/10/31/the-history-of-...

Wowza!!

Submitted by dominiquebird on Fri, 2016-04-08 13:08.

Great piece Sean :) I never knew where gaming originated, I was like most people and thought it was with the advent of the Atari, little did I know. I thought one thing you did well was being specific. The examples you provided were detailed by you using company names and brands, such a Magnavox or Atari. However, I feel like you could apply this technique better by using even more examples. Maybe go into other early video game systems and games and what the military would use for their training. Still, very well written and interesting!

Military Impact on Tech

Submitted by tlarson07 on Sun, 2016-04-10 13:26.

That is super interesting how the military is always is connected with the leading of technology often times. I know your topic is on gaming, but my guess is you are interested in VR, virtual reality, as well. If you have time check out the research that the government and big companies are doing with it. Customers are getting glimpse with I'm sure (similar to video games) the military has been implementing this tech for a while now!

cool topic!

Submitted by charissaboniface on Thu, 2016-04-14 11:23.

Hi Sean! I like your topic. It is really intriguing because I never knew that gaming began before Pong! My best friend's grandfather invented Pong so I always thought that was the first game. I like how interesting you make your subject! Very reader friendly! I would maybe add some quotes to back up your topic.

Strengths

Submitted by Nikolah.Kershisnik on Mon, 2016-04-18 21:14.

This is such an informative and interesting piece! I think you did an excellent job of keeping the reader's attention. As someone who knows nothing of your subject matter, I found it amazing that not only were you able to summarize your research well, but you were also able to pare it down even further for the average reader's eye.