The History of Skateboarding

by: Sp3nce.

Skateboarding hasn't been the most amazing sport of our history. It's always been down at the bottom by BMX and Freestyle Motocross, while basketball, football, and soccer are at the top. Most people are just automatic critics about skaters and there are tons of stereotypes about them. I for one, being a skater, most of those stereotypes aren't true. Most people think we're just a bunch of punks that like to destroy property, mess around, listen to punk rock and metal, and are inconsiderate of other people. But I for one, I'm not like that. I mean, i listen to punk rock and stuff, but i don't like to destroy property, I'm not inconsiderate, and I respect people. I think I'm a pretty nice person and I respect everyone that respects me. If I hurt somebody or vandalize something or someone, I apologize and help out. I don't be an inconsiderate person about it and just walk away.

Due to its fluid nature, skateboarders keep their stories, shoot their own films and snap their own photos. It's not often that someone documenting skateboarding doesn't skate and when a non-skater does it comes out all stupid. But in the past, while magazines clung to these stories and the average skater on the street had no way to get their thoughts or opinions out past the five to ten friends they knew, technology has given new forums to those groups of friends or bored skate shop employees to cover the parts of skateboarding that they enjoy.

Skateboarding - High Tech History - ESPN

Skateboarding has saved some peoples lives, and helped a lot of people out. It's not just a sport, it's a hobby, a time-killer, a way to lose weight, a way to earn money, a way to have fun, and especially, a way to meet new people. For example, I was at the skatepark one time trying to land a casper flip, but I just couldn't get it. This random guy saw that i was having trouble doing it and he taught me the right technique and way to set up your feet, flip the board, and spin your body. Eventually, with his help and him guiding me along the way, I landed my first casper flip. Skateboarding is a great way to meet new friends, and make new enemies. But mostly make friends. It's a lifestyle. Some people wake up and go skate. It's their passion and that's what they live for. They skate for the fun of it and the joy and happiness that comes from it, not for the money or the fame. Tony Hawk, Ryan Sheckler, Bob Burnquist, Rodney Mullen, Jereme Rogers, Joey Brezinski, Greg Lutzka - These are all skaters that have a passion for skating. They skate for the fun of it, not for the fame or fortune, but after all the practice, hard work, and perseverance, they've made it to the top. Skateboarding... It's not just a sport. It's everything you've never thought it was.

Spence, your work is

Submitted by Maxxjones on Tue, 2009-02-17 17:42.

Spence, your work is something really special.  It makes me feel good in a special place when I read your work.  Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.