Hoodie Day?

Wearing a hoodie in Congress
Mt. Hoodie
B-Boy art at NDSS

Mr. Paul told kids in our school that today was going to be "hoodie day", a day to wear hoods to remember the second anniversary of the Trayvon Martin incident.

So I wore my hood today, but as the Art teacher in the school, I also got curious about the art of hoodies, a kind of new thing in the fashion world. When I went looking on Google images and Bing images, I found some pictures and decided I will create a lesson in my class where kids will make hoodie designs.

This could be designing a hoodie for people to wear, or an artwork that uses hoodies in it to make a statement. My students already drew hoodies this year when we did B-boy designs. See the art here:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/105893984794958670160/albums/59532065...

But I wanted to go further because I saw some shops downtown in Manhattan selling designer hoodies for $130 a piece. I also see hoodie designs for bands at stores like Spencer Gifts or Zumiez or Hot Topic.

It sure would be nice to be making money on hoodie designs, so I want my students to explore this.

One design I saw was of the founding fathers, imagined in hoodies. This reminded me that the USA is changing, and that the government could change with the people. But the leaders in Congress don't like hoodies - when Representative Bobby Rush from Illinois wore a hoodie to make a statement about the Trayvon case, they made him stop talking because they thought the hoodie was inappropriate. That's cold.

I wonder if my students can create hoodie designs that will make them money?

Share your hoodie design links or images with our Art class at https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/112591330525635053958

I really found this interesting.....

19zukowskip's picture
Submitted by 19zukowskip on Wed, 2014-02-26 20:22.

Dear Jake:
I am astonished by these designs they are really quite interesting and by showing the options of a career in hoodie designs is very unique and different. Your post about this project was very different and seemed to stick out to me, it gave me a turn on perspective and the designs were amazing, especially the skeleton hoodie. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "It sure would be nice to be making money on hoodie designs, so I want my students to explore this” I think this is very interesting because I have never thought of hoodie design as a career and it puts thought into this.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it was very interesting to read and I would gladly like to see the student’s reactions to this and if any designs really stuck out.

This is really cool!

Submitted by RobbyHanlon on Thu, 2014-02-27 13:14.

This is really interesting! I thought all your students' drawings were fantastic and I wish I had half the skill that they do. Its really good that you want your students to get interested in designing hoodies even for a living. It would be spectacular to see the country's leaders change their opinions on hoodies. Hope all goes well for you and your students!

Dear Jake Jacobs: I am

Submitted by JarretEBCHS on Fri, 2014-02-28 12:19.

Dear Jake Jacobs:

I am showing interest about your post "Hoodie Day" because I like how you was using it as a topic for class to design hoodies. Then flipped it into as thinking about making money by selling them.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ This could be designing a hoodie for people to wear, or an artwork that uses hoodies in it to make a statement”. I think this is a brilliant idea because its nice for people to have different designs from little kids thoughts. also the different statements from other people emotions and understandings.

Another sentence that I was fascinated about was “When Representative Bobby Rush from Illinois wore a hoodie to make a statement about the Trayvon case, they made him stop talking because they thought the hoodie was inappropriate”. This stood out for me because people wear hoodies for their different purposes and not to intent for them to be bad.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I have worn a hoodie as in under garment with my coat to be warmer. As I was going to the store the cops thought I was a threat because I had it on and did not think of it as me keeping my head warm.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I like how you spoke about the society we living in. Also how judgemental people can be from what you wear. Sometimes what you wear is because you like it, represents something, or even express themselves.

i think there killed caues he

ramos's picture
Submitted by ramos on Wed, 2014-03-19 13:09.

i think there killed the boy caues he was a wearing a hooied