How to be a better role-model for siblings

Submitted by coolzero on Thu, 2012-02-09 11:29

Ever been in that situation where you relies that your siblings are following you around? This comes at the point where your siblings look up to you to see how they should act. They want to be just like you in every sense. "there's growing evidence to suggest that siblings shape each other in important ways," says Laurie Kramer, a professor of applied family studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana, Champaign. So to make sure that your brother and/or sister are the best people they can be make yourself their best role-model. "Some evidence suggests that when kids have good relationships with siblings, they're more likely to develop good relationships with their peers." said Laurie. One way that this can be accomplished is by bringing them with you when you go to places or hang with friends to show them how to talk and “be cool” as its put. During days that you are not do any thing to do talk with them. Find some common ground between each other so that you can always trust one another. While talking is good nothing is better the spending time with one another. Just being around for your sibling and hanging out with them will be a great positive influence on them.

But there are also the bad habit that could influence them as well. Drinking, smoking, delinquency, are all things that your sibling could pick up on from you. "If you have a sibling who is participating in those types of activities, then you're at higher risk for participating yourself," says Katherine Jewsbury Conger, an associate professor of human development and family studies at the University of California-Davis who has studied those effects. If you truly wish to be a positive role-model to your siblings then give up on this things and change your life around for the better.

Lyon, Lindsay. 7 Ways Your Siblings May Have Shaped You, U.S. News Health, July 31, 2009, web. February 9, 2012

Miller, Kate, How to Have a Better Relationship With a Younger Brother, wikiHow, October 1, 2011, web. February 9, 2012

Coolzero, I liked your post.

Submitted by phickman3 on Wed, 2012-02-15 12:49.

Coolzero,
I liked your post. I'm guessing you have siblings since you are interested in this? I have 3 siblings, so this article is very relevant to me. I definitely agree with certain things in this post, like how much of a role we play in our brother and sisters development. I see it everyday, particularly with my little sister. I don't know how much she looks up to me, but she certainly is influenced by me. One thing that makes me notice this is when I play my music in the car, and then a few days later I'll walk by her room and hear her playing it, or when she starts watching the same tv shows as me.

I thought your article was

Submitted by acorbett on Wed, 2012-02-15 15:59.

I thought your article was very interesting and far more unique than anything I have read on here. I have two younger siblings and I can see some of the things I do reflected in them and it is bizarre! I liked seeing what your opinions were and what the different studies said. It makes me want to be a better sibling to my younger sister and brother.

Siblings Reply

Submitted by ostart on Thu, 2012-02-16 10:26.

I can relate to your post because I have three younger siblings. Sometimes I wonder if I'm always the best role-model and your post has reminded me of ways to become that. There are times when they always want to hang out and I can get annoyed, next time I'm going to ask if they'd just like to come with me where ever that is. One sentence that I liked was the evidence you used, "Some evidence suggests that when kids have good relationships with siblings, they're more likely to develop good relationships with their peers." I never though of my influence impacting other parts of my siblings lives like with their friends. Because I have three younger siblings, I'll have to remember to be the best role-model for them, hopefully making a positive impact on their lives.

a role-model for siblings

Submitted by monisa on Wed, 2013-04-03 14:48.

Dear Troy,
I strongly agree with your post, "How to be a better role-model for siblings," because I’m the oldest of three young siblings. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “This comes to the point where your siblings look up to you to see how they should act .” I think this is true because as the oldest, siblings are like spies who check every move. Every time I get a good grade in a test, they try their best on their upcoming test.

Another sentence that I agree was: "Some evidence suggest that when kids have a good relationship with siblings, they are more likely to develop good relationship with their peers." This stood out for me because my siblings are frequently asking me questions or suggestions on how to become a better friend.
Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was getting ready for a family party, and I was putting my hair into a ponytail. My sister, who was next to me, also put her hair in a ponytail. A Few minutes later, I decided to put my hair in a bun. Next thing I knew, my sister changed her hair into a bun as well.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because it seems like we are going through the same situations when it deals with young siblings. I actually learned new techniques to help me become a better older sibling.