How To Become A Walk On, On A College Team

In the article “The Definitive Guide To Making The Basketball Team As A Walk On” essay, by Jeff Hornacek, from http://personal.crocodoc.com/XvT7hyc, the author “How do you get a basketball scholarship? Or make the basketball team as a walk on?”

When we consider the issue of making a college team without having a scholarship. some might wonder: how to be a walk on, on a college team by having no experience from the coach? addresses this question because... it states on the website that you have to write letters and don’t stop at one.

One thing they said on the website was write letters to the coaches. They said don’t send just one you have to send more than one letter its like a girl you want and you wont stop till you get her. Also you have to send videos to them of how you play on court and you can have your coach try to reach out to them for a plus. “ I understood some secrets about “basketball persuasion” others didn’t so i when i sent out recruit letters to college coaches, my letters got read while others were ignored. ”

This is basically saying that there is a certain way to write your recruiting letters so college coaches will read your letter. ALso there saying send a video with your letter to boost it up and have a better chance of the coaches reading your letter.

This might make one wonder what they did wrong or how to write a perfect recruiting letter?

I'm pretty sure this is accurate because it also states on another website some of the similar steps from the 1st website. Similarities like making a video on court , talking bout the school and what you could do for the team. http://www.stack.com/2012/03/23/college-recruiting-letters/

Another point Alex Maroko makes in his blog post is: "Walking-on and you learned that sharing stories was way better than telling facts?” Its saying when you write a letter tell them your story and how determine for the game. Also tell them what you think you can do for the team to help them out.

A third point addressed by Alex Marko is: " No stops being no , and instead became not yet." This is also important because... its saying don’t give up if you see a no just keep going and don't give up.

Some might not agree with Marko that... Don’t take no for an answer One reason is... the coaches go out looking for people to recruit and if they don’t see your game they won’t have no clue who you are so you have to let them know you on and off court.

What we can appreciate about this writer's work is they took time out they life to do this good website on how to make a college walk on basketball team. We can look forward to seeing what he writes next because i hope he make a new one with people he helped out and used his advice. One thing the author could do is add pictures under everything he was saying on the website. Also add a picture of how a good letter looks.

I am interested about When we

mortiz's picture
Submitted by mortiz on Mon, 2014-03-31 12:44.

I am interested about your post When we consider the issue of making a college team without having a scholarship.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “one thing they said on the website was write letters to the coaches. They said don’t send just one you have to send more than one letter its like a girl you want and you wont stop till you get her.”

Another sentence that I like is “This might make one wonder what they did wrong or how to write a perfect recruiting letter?”

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was playing Basketball with my brother and I hit 5 3 pointers in his face and I was hype.

Thank for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I like this post.

The day I met Toby Knight

Mr. Jacobs's picture
Submitted by Mr. Jacobs on Mon, 2014-04-28 11:58.

I went to high school in 1985 and had a class in economics, which is all about money and business. One day we had a guest and it was Toby Knight who used to be a forward for the NY Knicks (yes, he was tall).

He was drafted by NY in the 2nd round after graduating from Notre Dame. This was when Phil Jackson was on the team.

He explained to our class that he was only in the NBA for a few years when he had an injury that ended his career as a player in 1982. He even showed the video of the injury!

Then he explained what he was doing now, visiting schools and working in business. He said he thanked heaven that he finished college a degree in business management. He was doing fine even though he was no longer a pro athlete.

Then he asked the class how many of us wanted to try out for the NBA. Almost every boy raised their hand. He told us that even if we are the lucky enough to get picked in the NBA draft, that the average player is finished by age 36 or so.

Then he told us that 60% of NBA players go bankrupt within five years of retirement because they didn't save enough and no longer have a job.

So the lesson that day was that college is more important than basketball - even those who get to the NBA need to think about what they will do in their late 30s, 40s, 50, 60s and beyond.

And of all the kids in my class that day, none ended up in the NBA, but those who finished college are doing okay.