How Does Self- Esteem Work With Teenagers?

by: mennor

As I became a teenager, many questions started to thrust in my mind. One question that constantly captures my attention is self-esteem. Wikipedia shows how self-esteem can be defined as a person’s overall evaluation of his or her own worth. I constantly have one question in my head: “Can self-esteem affect your everyday life as a teenager?” It was time to find some potential answers to my questions.

In the blog post, “Why Do People Have Low Self-Esteem?”, the writer expresses that he believes that discriminating specific ethnic groups is a way of lowering someone’s self-esteem. I believe this is a valid idea because a smart remark can affect a person’s confidence greatly. We should take into consideration how people may feel about certain remarks.

I personally have a low self-esteem. Constant remarks about my weight have caused me to be extremely insecure. Although people may talk jokingly, I take the remarks seriously. Over years I’ve tried to feel comfortable in my skin. It’s an extremely hard task. I don’t believe anyone can know how it truly affects your decisions in life until they’ve actually felt that hurt themselves.

Going through Youth Voices, I noticed many posts that coincide with my feelings towards self-esteem and the teenage life. This can affect how a teenager lives their everyday life. A teenager with a low self-esteem is highly more likely hold back from showing who they truly are. As teenagers and young adults, we should be more considerate with other people’s feelings and confidence. We should try to embrace each other’s uniqueness, rather than bringing it down.

Dear mennor I loved your post

aloema's picture
Submitted by aloema on Wed, 2012-04-04 23:11.

Dear mennor

I loved your post "How Does Self- Esteem Work With Teenagers?" because i was just talking about this today. everyone has there own self esteem i believe some better then others. One sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is "I personally have a low self-esteem. Constant remarks about my weight have caused me to be extremely insecure." I think this is good because you know what you need to improve in and not taking it out on other people.

Another sentence that i liked was "Over years I’ve tried to feel comfortable in my skin." This stood out to me because you might not because the only one with that insecurity there are many people like that.

Your poem reminds me of a movie i was watching the other day that the girl was the same way as you until she overcame those things

Thanks for your writing. It was very interesting reading about this topic and yourself.

Self Esteem

bidorl's picture
Submitted by bidorl on Thu, 2012-04-05 00:58.

Dear Mennor,

I enjoyed reading your post "How Does Self- Esteem Work With Teenagers?" because it was interesting, it made me wanna learn more about teens' self esteem. One sentence that stood out for me was "the writer expresses that he believes that discriminating specific ethnic groups is a way of lowering someone’s self-esteem." because I believe this is true, many people do feel certain type of way because of discrimination against their nationality. I think I could say I'm a witness of an individual putting down someone by discriminating their race.

Another sentence that stood out for me was "Constant remarks about my weight have caused me to be extremely insecure." This stood out for me because I don't think you're the only one; many other people don't feel comfortable with at least something about themselves. When it comes to weight, I feel like women are more insecure about their weight than men, I hear women say they're fat when they're really in good shape.

Thanks for your writing, I really enjoyed the post, I look forward to reading more of your post, this one was interesting. Just my thought... I think that people shouldn't have low self esteem, they should always think of something positive, never negative thoughts. Think about how happier and relaxed your life would be without stressing anything because of low self esteem.

I love that you choose this

krystalm's picture
Submitted by krystalm on Thu, 2012-04-05 10:57.

I love that you choose this to think and talk about, many teenagers now and days have low self-esteem mainly because the trend to be like everyone else but can't sometimes, the increase in the following instead of the leading in teenagers now. But your question " Why Do People Have Low Self-Esteem?' in probably in most teenagers head, and yet the answer for many is still to come. To me is all a mind thing, everyone has the right to control themselves, thoughts, and decisions, so to have self-esteem is when you allow your mind take control over your thoughts and decisions. But if you just put as much effort as you do to thinking about this question into changing the way it's makes you feel and you'll find yourself giving you , your own answer.

¿Hola, cómo estás?

reeparr98's picture
Submitted by reeparr98 on Thu, 2014-04-24 13:11.

¿Hola, cómo estás Nordalys?

Your post on “How Does Self- Esteem Work With Teenagers?” was interesting to me because one I am a teenager and psychology has been my study of interest. In my grade some students have a low self-esteem and chose to follow other people.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Although people may talk jokingly, I take the remarks seriously." I agree with you because all my life I have been hearing the phrase “Sticks and stones may hurt my bones but, the words will never hurt me.” The words that people tell do hurt in reality.

Another sentence that was intriguing to me was: "Over years I’ve tried to feel comfortable in my skin.” This stood out for me because as a teenager I still trying to figure out who am as a person and sometimes I hit roadblocks in my life. Every time I encounter a roadblock in my life I just move forward.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I found your post really interesting to me and I hope I get to read more of your articles.