How has the issue of cyberbullying developed over the past 5 years?

After researching this topic, I found an overload of articles and information on the topic of cyber bullying. An interesting article I found contrasted the profile of a bully in the 80s or 90s to the bully of today. A decade ago, bullies had the reputation for physical harassment; kicking, punching, pushing kids into lockers, etc. With computers, everything has change. It has become easier to type something hurtful towards someone and it has become something anyone can see--and that's what makes it more hurtful. The wall the computer screen creates can be dangerous. Kids are able to say whatever they want, whenever they want with little to no consequence. I would like to research this even more and see the studies that have been conducted regarding this topic and any other information on the current issue of cyber bullying.

article: http://magnificentlivingforteens.wordpress.com/2013/05/05/how-do-you-def...

Agree

Submitted by kubieliz on Tue, 2013-10-22 10:17.

I am excited by your post "How has the issue of cyber bullying developed in the past five years." because I think that bullying has changed too. It is a lot different from today because today most of the bullying going on in on the internet.

One sentence you wrote stood out to me is "A decade ago, bullies had the reputation for physical harassment; kicking, punching, pushing kids into lockers, etc." I think this is weird because I didn't think that many people uses fish all abuse.

Another sentence that I liked was " Kids are able to say whatever they want, whenever they want with little to no consequence." This stood out for me because if I ever did this I would get in a lot of trouble. I don't see why someone would even want to do this because it wouldn't be very nice and you wouldn't want someone to do it to you.

I do agree with you that cyber bullying has. Hanged in the past five years because people are doing it on the internet instead of fiscal. Another reason I agree with you is that I would also like to research it more because I think it is a very important topic.

Thanks for writing, I look forward to what you write next because i really enjoyed you piece about cyber bulling because it is kind of personal to me. I also look forward to what you write next because I know it will be just as good.

Agree/disagree

Submitted by brunalex on Sun, 2013-10-13 21:24.

Dear Sydney:

I am shocked by your post, "how has the issue of cyber bullying developed over the past 5 years," because kids can hide behind the computer screen and say things but the other person can report the bully for harassment and there are serious charges for that kind of stuff. It's now against the law to bully so if you have proof that it came from that person they could get into some serious things. Most bullying happens on social networking and by signing up for that you always take the risk of that stuff happening.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "A decade ago, bullies had the reputation for physical harassment; kicking, punching, pushing kids into lockers, ect. With computers everything has changed." I think this is interesting because kids don't wont to get bullied at all, but if they could choose either sitting behind a computer screen and reading things or actually getting punched, kicked, etc. I feel like they would choose the computer. Bullying is wrong, any type but there's nothing we can really do to stop it.

Another sentence that I liked was: " the wall that the computer screen creates can be dangerous." This stood out for me because it can sometimes kids get to comfortable behind the screen. They feel they can say anything and nothing will happen.

I don't agree with you that computers have made it easier to bully someone. One reason I say this is kids get bullied either way, if it's on computers or physically hurting them, no matter what we do we can't really eliminate bullying for ever because bullies will find a way to do it. Another reason I disagree with you is there's punishments for cyber-bullying, they do the same things with cyber-bullying as physical bullying. So either way kids do get punished for it .

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you stuck to what you believed in and I really liked that about this paper. You supported your belief with evidence, and you were quite explanatory in your paragraph about what was going on.

Agree

Submitted by knapkayl on Tue, 2013-10-22 10:12.

ELA Comment
Dear Sydney,
I am aware of about your post "How has the issue of cyberbullying delvolped over the past 5 years?" Because I witness and expiernce bullying everyday and to see how the situation has grown over past years not even face to face but over the internet. Also it interested me because people can now say things more easily and hurtful over the internet than in person because their not face to face, its over their device screens like most things are these days.
One sentance you wrote that stands out for me is "Kids are able to say whatever they want, whenever they want with little to no consequence." I think this is horrible because bullies can hurt others little to without punishment and can keep it going and or make it worse over the device screen which I believe is awful.
Another sentance that got me into this post was "A decade ago, bullies had the reputation for physical harrassment; kicking, punching, pushing kids into lockers, etc. With computers, everything has changed." This stood out to me because of how the change to technology these days is making bullying easier and a bigger issue, whcih needs to be taken under control otherwise who knows what will happen 5 years from now!?
I do agree absolutely agree with you that the internet and technogoly change in this decade has made bullying easier and worse. One reason I say this is because I've expirenced online bullying myself and I see that its easier because what was said to me was something someone wouldn't say to my face so they kide behind the computer screen to say it to me. Another reason I agree with you is that the device screens and internet are dangerous. I agree with you on this statement because something that is posted online, can never be taken off even if you click delete.
Thank you for writing I enjoy to see more by you because this post really caught my attention and I really enjoyed it very much. Also I hope you read more articles and get more info about this topic because your first post was great.

Agree w/ link

Submitted by hansjord on Tue, 2013-10-22 17:55.

Dear Sydney,

I am surprised by your post, "How Has the Issue of Cyber Bullying Developed Over the Past 5 Years" because it shows just how much bullying has changed over the years. I realized that there is a radical difference in how people bully each other and how much easier it is to bully.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "It has become easier to type something hurtful towards someone and it has become something anyone can see--and that's what makes it more hurtful." This sentence affected me because I never really thought about the fact that everyone can see what the bully said to you. This means that more people can make fun of you at school as well as online.

Another sentence that I thought was important was: "Kids are able to say whatever they want, whenever they want with little to no consequence." This benefitted the piece because it shows that through the computer screen, it is much easier to hurt someone. It doesn't take as much courage to type something mean. There is rarely ever anyone who will do something about the comments.

I agree with you that bullying has changed drastically over the years. One reason I say this is that people used to be bullied physically. Cyber bullying may be worse because everyone can see the comments, and they can't be deleted from the internet. Another reason I agree with you is that it is so easy to just type your thoughts. It is easier to hurt someone online than to their face.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you had very good thoughts and opinions. I loved reading about this topic and you presented it in a way that showed me a new perspective.

https://sites.google.com/site/cyberbullyingawareness/traditional-bullyin...

Agree/ Disagree

Submitted by olecbroo on Wed, 2013-10-23 12:52.

Dear SydenyAustin,

I am shocked about your post "How has the issue of cyberbulling devloped over the past 5 years" because of cyberbulling is something that is growing constantly in the nation. Also that it has been very fatel to tenns and young adults from crying to even suicide. Suicide attempts have been sky rocketing because of bullying of any kind.

One sentence that stands out to me is "Kids are able to say whatever they want whenever they want with little no consequences" this stood out to me because it is very true and the kids parents dont do anything about it, even if they hear or get a call from what their child has done.

I do agree with you on this one reason is because it is killing many teens and young adults. Every minute kids are thinking about suicidal attempts. Another reason I agree is because and bullying should stop. What if it was them getting picked on. I dont think they would bully if they truly knew what could happen to kids and what they could do to their selfs.

Thanks for the writing, I look forward from more posts to see what you type next.