How Important Is it to Finish School?

by: 18rahmani

How important is it actually finishing school?

For some people school can be very difficult, which leads some to drop out. But the question is how much are you really affected by dropping out. Throughout life students here that they can not be “successful” without dropping out. We aren’t talking about geniuses like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, or Mark Zuckerberg. Not everyone who drops out turn into a billionaire. Statistics show that 1.2 million students drop out of high school. If you think about it, it turns out to be one student every 26 seconds. 25% of high school students don’t even finish school in time. The question is how will they “survive” in the real world without a high school diploma.

In an article called, “A Place Called School. Prospects for the Future” say that kids do not value the importance of education because many simply do not understand the curriculum. Its not always that the person who drops out is mentally challenged but some just do not find the need. Many are also confused entirely. Circumstances in students live led many of them to drop out. For example, the teachers, students, or family problems may be some but not all the reasons kids drop out. High school dropouts should not be looked down upon but instead their voices should be heard by the people. Their voices may help show the United States how to improve the education system or entirely find out what causes people to drop out.

You may be asking how does dropping out of high school affect the job you get. Certainly dropouts will not get the brightest jobs and their paychecks won’t be even close. Statistics show that an high school dropout makes an average of $29,848. It is hard to make a living with that amount. It is less compared to the amount you can make with finishing high school If you have a high school diploma you can make an average of $41,288. I believe that many students drop out because they do not know the dangers/consequences of dropping out. The reasons are endless because it could just be that in the neighborhood or environment they are in. Many kids tend to drop out because they see other friends/family doing the same.

Is there any way to stop high school students from dropping out completely. I believe that it will be impossible to stop everyone from dropping out but there's a way to limit the number of people who drop out. A book from Ralph B. McNeal, shows that it is possible to keep students from dropping out by providing more extracurricular activities that will keep many students attached to school and give them a urge to come to school on a daily basis. Not only this but their should be speakers who come to schools across the country and teach kids the consequences of dropping out. Even though we can not end it we can limit it.

In conclusion, it is always good to remember that not all high school dropouts are bad. Many of them have reasons that cause them to do such actions. Kids may have to provide for their family and in order to do so many will have to drop out. To limit the number kids should be taught the cons of dropping out and how it can affect your life greatly.

Links:
1. http://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED236137 (Scholar)
2. http://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED513444 (Scholar)
3. https://studentaid.ed.gov/prepare-for-college
4. http://blog.4tests.com/case-becoming-high-school-dropout/
5.http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2112764?uid=3739832&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21106137226541 (Scholar)

I think you made some very

Submitted by Clairecook on Sat, 2015-04-25 17:05.

I think you made some very interesting points here and that they are many people who drop out for many different reasons, but I agree with if you can and are able to get a proper education it will former help you out in the long run with jobs and being an active member in society.

Possible Research Idea

Submitted by RaquelMarkham on Sun, 2015-04-26 16:44.

Rahmani, that is very interesting what you have found out about the importance of finishing school. I have never realized just how large of a percentage of high school students drop out, as I have been fortunate enough myself to not be affected by many of the factors that cause students to do so. It would be interesting to look into the various factors that are part of the problem in this large high school drop-out rate, such as coming from a low-income family. I know there are various programs that have assisted in helping students receive the education they need, as nowadays many jobs require people to even have received a bachelors degree. If you are planning on researching this more, maybe you could look into programs such as QuestBridge which assists in helping students from low-income and disadvantaged families attend top colleges, as well as other programs like this.

Great!

Submitted by gyoung on Mon, 2015-04-27 00:32.

Hi! This is an awesome topic and I'm sure you are finding it very interesting. One thing I would suggest it to clarify when you say school in your question at the beginning. Are you focusing on high school or college for your topic. After I read further into your post I understood you were talking about high school but I was unsure at the beginning. I liked the paragraph where you talked about how dropping out of high school directly influences the job that you are able to get. I think you are right in saying that if you don't have a high school diploma it is very difficult to get a good paying job. I also think it is true that student who are considering dropping out aren't thinking of the consequences it will have in the future. This is a great topic and post. Here is a link to an article that I found interesting that might add to your research! http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmarshallcrotty/2013/03/13/motivation-ma...

Hello! I think this topic is

Submitted by gabby.paul on Mon, 2015-04-27 11:17.

Hello! I think this topic is very intriguing and you made strong arguments for both sides. I was unaware of the percentage of students who drop out of school, for various reasons, and I was shocked to find out that it's one student every 26 seconds. I personally believe that if one has the opportunity to finish school and persevere through hardships that it is most beneficial for their future to get a proper education. However, I can also see how it may be difficult to finish school due to certain circumstances. I think your post was very informative and I enjoyed learning about this topic!

Good point

Submitted by zarch2018 on Wed, 2015-04-29 07:37.

I am in high school right now and it is difficult for me to get through it. I think that everyone can get the right mindset and push through the struggle. I think that if you drop out you should have a plan of what you are going to do in the future

I like your post

18elemaryy's picture
Submitted by 18elemaryy on Wed, 2015-04-29 16:37.

Dear Ishnad :

I am in awe with your post, "How Important Is it to Finish School?," because I think this is brave because in many households, finishing school is a given. There is no second option other than to finish the schooling career.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "In conclusion, it is always good to remember that not all high school dropouts are bad." Society has a preconceived notion about those who drop out of school. It is prejudice and not correct to do so.

Another sentence that I admire was: "Statistics show that 1.2 million students drop out of high school. If you think about it, it turns out to be one student every 26 seconds.." This stood out for me because those are a lot of students with uncompleted schooling careers.

Your post reminds me of something I read. One time, I read the story about Steve Jobs. I was in awe with his capability to become so successful without a completed schooling career.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you write about very controversial topics. This is quite the daring thing to release to the public.

How Important Is It to Finish School?

Submitted by Awesome101 on Thu, 2016-03-17 13:25.

There’s
a huge academic in today’s society about many teenagers dropping out of school.
Some reasons are because school is too hard but the one that seems to be the blame
for drop outs is to help out with family bills. Some people who drop out of
school believes that it doesn’t matter because of certain famous people such as
rapper Jay Z and Apple owner Steve Jobs who did not complete their education.
Although, the results aren’t for everyone some people are just that lucky.
Statics shows that from a 2008-2012 survey many (563,000) teenagers drop out
left school to work. That does not guarantee that everyone who do finish high
school will have an A++ job but, that it for sure will be better than not
having any diploma.

In
the article “Alarming number of teenagers are quitting school to work” 16-18
year old male Hispanics ended their education either and the beginning or the
very end of the school year.  Even though
in a two year range it has been shown that there has been an increase of high
school graduates within the Hispanics community with 71% in 2011 and in 2013
and increase to 75%, study shows that Hispanic males are still prone to risks.
Molly Scott a senior research reporter from the Urban Institute stated that
since kids are working to help in the household it is a lot of economic
responsibility for teens at a young age.

Dropping
out definitely reflects on the type of jobs you will get in the nearby future.
You are more likely to get jobs that are in restaurants, construction sites
and/or cleaning jobs. The payout is less than $10,000 a year, which is barely
enough to survive on. It is much less compared to a person with a high school
degree which makes way more. People who drop out of school fail to realize that
they would forever be in a cycle of poverty. They'll soon be poor just like
their parents and their kids would have to do the same drop out so there family
can make ends meet. 1/3 teens contribute more than 20 % of their total annual
income to their households while 1/10 contributes a whopping 50% study shows.

Now
that this problem of drop outs are taking more notice in the world some
programs made to help teens families without the risk of leaving school are
programs like youth employment, which are summer jobs where students can earn
money without having to leave school altogether. Policymakers also recommend
for there to be interventions such as parents training, job placement or access
that can help take out some economic stress. Oddly enough households who are in
a poor economic status fail to take advantage of safety net programs such as
food stamps or cash assistance.

Even
though dropping out of school may not be the best decision. People who drop out
should not be looked down upon. They’re taking a risk in helping their families
continue to pay bills by sacrificing their own education/future which will only
lead to their downfall as well. Their actions seem heroic but, they need to see
the big picture that dropping out should only be a last resort. Besides there
are many government based programs to help with financial issues so that
dropping out of school wouldn’t have a huge rate that it has now. 

Is HS graduation that important?

mariaacedo's picture
Submitted by mariaacedo on Sun, 2016-03-20 15:54.

In today's globalization, if someone wants to live comfortably without sacrificing their health and sanity, a high school diploma is a good start. However, college would be a better chance of having a solid life coupled with transferable skills necessary to work in the 21st century unless one is in the likes of Bill Gates or Zuckerberg etc.

High school diploma nowadays is a NECESSITY FOR MANY OF US in the 99%.