How to Stop School Shootings

The problem of school shootings is on an alarming rise in America. They are so common that the average citizen can’t even keep track of the names of the places where they occur anymore. It is really important to address the issue to prevent future incidents of shootings and the loss of innocent lives. The United states of America is the country with the most school shootings in the world. It is the need of the hour to put an end to this crisis.

We need to create higher security in schools by employing armed and trained guards. Shooters are well aware of the vulnerability of a school and they do not care if the school is a “gun free zone” or not. Staff must be trained and well armed to handle this situation. Metal detectors must be put in use to enforce security. It is alarming that it is harder to get on a plane in an airport than it is to bring a weapon to school. In my opinion, An armed place is very unlikely to get attacked and even if it does, It will be stopped quickly with minimum loss of lives compared to an unarmed place getting attacked.

School shootings are caused mostly by mental illnesses like mood and anxiety disorders. During my research, a thing I discovered is that the shooters are only males. Therefore, we need to look into the factors that are causing young men to do such acts. In my opinion, young men, especially, teenagers should be encouraged to participate in masculine sports like boxing, wrestling and football to channel their energy into productive outlets. Men who shoot up schools are usually repressed right from their adolescence with no outlet to vent their energy and therefore resort to violence, and commit crimes in general to unleash their bottled up frustration and anger.

Social factors must be taken into consideration when dealing with preventing crime. Lack of strong father figures and broken households are also a reason behind this. 85% of the children who show behavioral disorders come from fatherless homes. This is a crucial point to be considered because no amount of gun laws can stop a unhealthy social environment and parental values from producing criminals.

Sources :
“85% of the children who show behavioral disorders come from fatherless homes”
http://www.npr.org/sections/theprotojournalist/2013/09/24/225689775/why-...

“ shooters are only males.”
http://time.com/114128/elliott-rodgers-ucsb-santa-barbara-shooter/

SHOOTING

Submitted by HarshaTheBrave on Tue, 2015-12-08 18:34.

Yes, many schools have no strict laws so people do stuff to other people

Well done

Submitted by Ramyahmed on Fri, 2015-12-18 14:52.

A well done essay with good points being brought up. One piece of advice though is to not consistently use generalizations. For example you said "Shooters are only males" although this might be true, it might sound better to say they are mostly male.