How success is measured?

by: rodjen

Something that I have been interested in learning more about how success is measured. I remember talking about it with my friends in the lunchroom, but at the time I did not want to know more about it. Lately, the issue has caught my eye again. I know that people may feel that success has many definitions because there are different types of success.Success is something you want to achieve and you have to work hard for.From what I have heard, many people have different opinions about success, but it depends on their perspective . Some people believe success changes as time goes. For example, I heard that in the past success for a woman was being good wife and mother; however; women now measure success as having an education and being a professional. Success can be measured at any age from being a small baby to an old person. An example that I heard was that when a baby starts walking that is a success for them, or when an older person gets to do everything they wanted to do and are satisfied. The definition of success may differ with each person’s perspective. Now that’s just what I’ve heard, it may or may not be true.

One thing that I know for sure about success is that it’s something we should feel proud about. Sometimes to have a success on something is really hard, many people have to work hard and have obstacle, but they keep on. Success is an achievement. Now, I’ve studied my share of “How success is measured”, I believe success is composed of many characteristics. For me, success is something that you achieve or work hard for. Success was an important topic for me in the past. I really wanted to understand the real definition of being successful. Success is defined in many ways, but for me it’s what someone achieves.

As I searched for blogs and news articles on Google, I came across this one article: “How do you measure Success”. This article provided a lot of information and opinions on success. Some people felt that success is measured in different ways. A quote from the article is as followed: “Everyone measures it differently. Some measure it by how much money they make. Others measure it by their career path and corresponding title. Then you have the people who measure it by the things that they have such as the size of their house, their art and jewelry, and the number of cars that they own. Others measure it by the state of their health.” This statement did not really surprise me all that much, but it did make me feel more informed. I feel this article explained how success is really measured. Success has many definitions and topics that are included with it. Success is like the many branches in the tree; they are all success but in different ways.

In another article, there was this one statement that made me nod my head in agreement with Jonathan. It was: “ If your business efforts provide a substantial monetary reward but you don’t enjoy what you do, can this really be called success?” This is so true because if someone does not enjoy what they do, then how that can be measured with success because the person is doing something that they don’t even like or enjoy doing.

I came across this article: “How Do You Measure Success”. This article was about success in business and the person. A quote from the article is as followed:“Measuring your success isn’t difficult. It just takes a little strategy, planning and forethought.” This stood out for me because I agreed with the statement made. Success should not be hard to measure. Success is measured by the way the person thinks he achieve his goals. I think everyone has a different way of measuring success, it all depends on how the person is.

Another article that I came across was: “How Will You Measure Your Life?” A statement that make nod my head in agreement was:“The choice and successful pursuit of a profession is but one tool for achieving your purpose. But without a purpose, life can become hollow.” This is so true because to do something you want;you have to have a purpose ,so you could succeed. The purpose someone has can help them succeed in many ways.

In another article there was this one statement that made me shake my head in disagreement with the writer McLaughlin Sean. It was: “I’m here to tell you success is most accurately measured by the people and the lives you’ve touched.” This is untrue because success is measured by the achievement someone make no has to be touched for what you had done. If someone worked very hard on something and nobody got impacted they still succeeded because the accomplished what they wanted.

All of this makes me think that success is defined in many different ways. The measure of success is different for each person. Success is like a tree with many tree branches that are the different perspective and characteristics success has.I learned from the articles, success is composed of many different things. Success for each person is different . For me, success is the accomplishment someone achieves with hard work or by their actions.

Works Cited

1.Giovanni ,Katharine.” How do you Measure Success? ” AuthorsDen November 22 2010. April 2, 2012.
http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewArticle.asp?id=16059

2.Jonathan, “How Do You Measure Success?” AdvancedLifeSkills. April 2, 2012
http://advancedlifeskills.com/blog/how-do-you-measure-success/

3.Miracle, Dawud. “How Do You Measure Success…and Why You Should” Dawud Miracle January 8 ,2012. April 3, 2012.
http://dmiracle.com/marketing-strategy/how-do-you-measure-successand-why...

4.Christensen, Clayton. “How Will You Measure Your Life?.” HBR. July 2010. April 2, 2012
http://hbr.org/2010/07/how-will-you-measure-your-life/ar/1

5.McLaughlin Sean. “How Do You Measure Your Success?” ST. August 6, 2011. April 3, 2012
http://www.chicagosean.com/2011/08/06/how-do-you-measure-your-success/

Success in Business

Submitted by CarterHendrickson on Tue, 2013-09-24 11:36.

Hello Rodjen,

I also have put a little time into a topic along the lines of yours; What is the most successful business in the world? I noticed how you focused on what exactly defines 'success' for a person or a business. For the research I did, it was based on revenue (as where Royal Dutch Shell would have raked in the big bucks for this year). I do agree with your agreement on the article that said 'Success is measured by the way the person thinks he achieve his goals.' There is obviously more to success then just the numbers, it's how likable, or 'happy' a company, or person in this case, can be.

Makes me wonder

kedeciachristopher's picture
Submitted by kedeciachristopher on Thu, 2014-03-06 16:37.

Dear Jennifer:

I was very intrigued while reading your post. Success is a very interesting topic. You ask, “How is success measured?” However, the larger question is, what is success? We must determine what it is first before we can measure it. Many people perceive that success is solely earning large income and salary, or just having an immense amount of money. However, that may not always be the case.

Success is subjective. For that reason, I totally agree with your statement, “I think everyone has a different way of measuring success, it all depends on how the person is.” Success is based on the individual, and individuals measure success differently. What is it that they are measuring? Success is satisfaction and comfortability. It can refer to being financially comfortable. Many people flaunt their belongings and revel in material things. They may view success as having many and/or most expensive things such as, house(s), car(s), name brand clothing, etc. Success can be the ending of a seemingly endless pursuit of happiness, a career, love etc. Success can be achieving long-terms goals and accomplishing ambitions. One can discern success as the number of lives he or she has impacted. It may just simply be earning a name and fame. Success can even be a combination of several factors.

The sentence, “One thing that I know for sure about success is that it’s something we should feel proud about,” stood out to me. Success has many characteristics, and I believe that this displays on important factor. Success is about being proud or oneself, and maintaining self pride. Success is confidence. Success is being pleased with one’s ego.

This reminds me of a film that I had watch. in the film, and interview was conducted among a diverse group of people. The main question that each interviewee was asked was “Do you see your life as being successful?” I found their responses very interesting, and furthermore the differentiation in responses was enticing. A homeless man was asked the previous question and responded, “Absolutely. I don’t have to pay rent. I have no teeth to clean, and I have a front row seat on Armageddon, the end of man ‘unkind’.” A teacher claimed that education was the key to success. Another man said, “It’s no the party, the car, the house, or the shoes. It’s what’s inside; we the party.” The interviewer stated that the end, “With all the people we interviewed, it became clear that true success is an individual thing.”

Thank you for writing. You have given me the chance to think profoundly about success. Since I have concluded that the meaning of success is subjective and individual based, I look forward to hear what success means to you.