How Too Much Homework Can Actually Hurt

by: 21harrism
Calvin and Hobbes: Homework Hurts

Homework, in small portions, can be a good thing. It helps us review material from class, and gives us new challenges to think about. However, it seems that many schools are now providing homework simply as a way to grade a student.

Calvin and Hobbes: Homework Hurts

Although it might not eat you, too much homework can hurt your mind. Experience has shown me that when the amount of homework gets over a certain amount, students end up staying up much later than they should be staying up. Studies show that not having enough sleep can affect your memory, whichmakes it harder to do homework and classwork. This can end up making you stay up until after midnight or later. Many students must wake up at 6:00 to 6:30 AM, so they get only about 6 hours of sleep if they go to bed at midnight. 

So, if your teachers are giving you too much homework, do something about it. Even if  doing your homework will raise your grade, not being able to do it because of memory loss and lack of sleep will only lower it. 

Relevant links:

http://www.edutopia.org/blog/homework-sleep-and-student-brain-glenn-whitman

Dear Matteo : I agree with

Submitted by 21enge on Tue, 2016-03-01 17:38.

Dear Matteo :

I agree with your post, "Too Much Homework Can Actually Hurt," because... many other students, as well as myself have experienced many inconveniences from doing homework. I, myself, have experienced headaches from lack of sleep because I stayed up too late doing homework myself. Also, homework itself is boring itself.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Even if doing your homework will raise your grade, not being able to do it because of memory loss and lack of sleep will only lower it. " I think this is true because homework places more stress on you than it helps you. This is why I don't study for tests, and even so I feel like I do better than the grade that I would have gotten studying for the test.

Another sentence that I agree with was: "Many students must wake up at 6:00 to 6:30 AM, so they get only about 6 hours of sleep if they go to bed at midnight." This stood out for me because many students also neglect their responsibility as a student, and complete their homework in school, which helps their sleep schedule, but harms their grade, while students complete their homework at home and end have a terrible sleep schedule.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I had to stay up until 2:30 doing a homework assignment that the teacher had forgotten to tell us about, and was worth a big chunk of our grade. I had to wake up at 5:45 later to go to school, and missed most of the day's lessons.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because many students can identify with this thought. Especially with students at BSGE, who get assigned lots of homework everyday. If you put off everything till the the last minute, the load can get extremely overwhelming.

Dear Matteo: I am happy about

Submitted by 21lodhp on Tue, 2016-03-01 17:55.

Dear Matteo:

I am happy about your post, "How too much homework can actually hurt" because it proves something I have been trying to prove for a long time. I told almost all of my past teachers that too much homework is not good but they don't care. They say they do but they really don't.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Studies show that not having enough sleep can affect your memory, which makes it harder to do homework and classwork." This stands out for me because it shows something that happens to all students. Sometimes I have a test the next day and the teachers give us so much homework that I could barely study. I truly believe in this quote because I have personal experience.

I do agree with you Matteo. I think that you are right about everything you said and I have personal experience proving everything you said. I also agree with you because teachers need to stop giving us a lot of homework. I always get tons of homework from English class and sometimes a lot of homework gets annoying because you may have a test the next day or may have to go somewhere.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I like what you think. I like that you feel that the teacher's are wrong about some things and I hope your next post is also something that is wrong about school. I hope to see a comic strip like the one you put also and I would also like to see another pun. I hope that you post soon and I will want to read it.

Matteo, I agree homework can

21punwania's picture
Submitted by 21punwania on Tue, 2016-03-01 21:12.

Matteo,
I agree homework can be a burden. Too much HW can limit progress. I can see many of my classmates agree with me, I hope this discussion is read by teachers(all of them), they probably want less work too grade too.

Dear Matteo: I am happy about

Dear Matteo:

Dear Matteo: I am happy about

Dear Matteo:

I have been sleeping later

Submitted by 21chene on Tue, 2016-03-01 18:13.

I have been sleeping later and later because of homework. I'm really glad you posted this Matteo. Does anyone think our teachers might see this? Any slim chance we could get less homework?

I have been sleeping later

Homework Does Hurt

Submitted by 21rothmans on Tue, 2016-03-01 19:57.

Dear Matteo:
I totally agree, with the message of your post, because I am solo tired of getting too much homework. And honestly it does hurt. The lack of sleep makes it hard to concentrate in class and enjoy my days overall.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Your book ate your homework, hmmm? That's a new one." I think this is funny because I am so tired of people making excuses about not doing their homework. They didn't have to suffer through the rigorous task of completing it, yet they want credit. It's always hilarious when the teachers shut them down and give them a 0 anyways. However, the excuse used in this case is quite amusing.
Another sentence that I liked was: "How's you math homework going?." The reaction to this comment is very relatable because I hate being distracted when working on my homework.

Your post reminds me of whenever I work on my homework. One time it took me an hour to complete something that was supposed to be a 5 minute task. Unfortunately, this happened because I procrastinated.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I enjoyed reading this post. I have always loved Calvin and Hobbes and hope to read another one some time soon.

I agree we must take a stand

Submitted by 21lij on Tue, 2016-03-01 20:39.

Dear Matteo,
I am agree with your thoughts about homework and how it can affect your life. "How to too mouch homework can actually hurt you." We all faced this common dillemma at home. Wether its science, english, or even technology. I am a victim too this but maybe we're just procrastinating.

One thing you said that stood out was"Many students must wake up at 6:00 to 6:30 AM, so they get only about 6 hours of sleep if they go to bed at midnight." This has happened too me and I believe many others. Though, we should stand up and should have homework that should only last 30 min max, combined. I myself don't have a lot of time. I have things like piano classes, swimming, afterschool clubs too. And I believ many people can relate.

Another sentence that I thought weas memorable was "Even if doing your homework will raise your grade, not being able to do it because of memory loss and lack of sleep will only lower it." Though this has'nt happened to me ,yet... I believe it is true. People may be just lazy or they really have no time. This was really deep and I can't paraphrase it but it really is a big issue in school, and we can't stop it unless our teacher's know for certain that we understand the lesson well.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this article as a whole was linked with my life. I am a victim and like your cartoon "Calvin and Hobbe" maybe he was victim too. We should fight for less work and as the students we should have the right to go outside and enjoy ourselves rather than being restrained by the thought of getting a bad grade.

dear James and Matteo

21punwania's picture
Submitted by 21punwania on Tue, 2016-03-01 21:04.

dear James and Matteo homework does hurt, but there is not much we can do I agree with James and Matteo. too much homework can be cumbersome and be a nuisance{vocab word}.

I agree, But I don't

Submitted by 21manzim on Tue, 2016-03-01 20:53.

I agree that a lot of homework can be a lot to handle but not in the way you speak of. Sure homework can keep you up past your bedtime but when you wake your brain immediately restarts giving you energy I know when you wake up and you're all groggy it may "prove" that wrong but its really just you want to stay in bed. But I digress the real purpose is that if you do your homework you're fine if you don't the stress of knowing you're going to miss that homework is what's unhealthy. It can be scary because you don't really know how they are going to react when they miss it: They might yell at you, They might look at you dissapointedly or they may do nothing it is very stressful (trust me I know) So overall we can agree to disagree; Homework can hurt you but not in the way you speak of.

I agree, But I don't

How too Much Homework Can Actually Hurt

Submitted by 21tanasem on Tue, 2016-03-01 21:30.

Dear 21harrism,
I am joyful about your post "How Too Much Homework Can Actually Hurt" because I completely agree with it. Teachers give us to much homework because they feel they must find a way to give us a grade on what we have been learned. Now with all this homework I feel as if I'm taking a mini test at our house about every subject.
One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is: "Even if doing your homework will raise your grade, not being able to do it because of memory loss and lack of sleep will only lower it". I think this is wonderful because this quote symbolizes how I feel about hw. Even though I'm not staying up until Midnight doing hw, I finish around 10:00 and then sleep at 10:30 but wake up early in the morning to get ready for school. That causes me to feel tired an forget things I must accomplish.

Another sentence that I liked was "Experience has shown me that when the amount of homework gets over a certain amount, students end up staying up much later than they should be staying up." This stood out to me because this quote represents me and many other friends I know who have to constantly stay up to complete assignments.
I do amazingly agree with you that Too Much homework for the brain can actually hurt. One reason I say that is because I have experience with to much hw. I had to stay up until midnight one night doing hw because I had a lot of it and when I got up in the morning I was extremely tired. Another reason I agree with you is that I hear everyday in the hallways of my school kids complaining about all the homework they had and how they got little to no sleep.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it seems like we like to talk about the same topics about school and how it affects us. Also I can't wait to hear more about your opinion on everything school related.

Dear Matteo I am intrigued by

Submitted by 21TakenakaY on Tue, 2016-03-01 22:52.

Dear Matteo

I am intrigued by your post "How Too much Homework Can Actually Hurt," because most schools I have been too feel like they give to little homework. Only when I started going the BSGE last year have I felt actually challenged. I feel that generally homework in other schools I have been to is low.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I felt that too much homework had been imposed on one day in 6th grade. I feel that on the other days, homework was light and could be done easily, while on this one day multiple projects were due, as well as there being tests the next day, which I needed to study for. I slept at 2:00 in the morning, and I was extremely tired.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I enjoy posts like these. They make sure that I am not the only one who feels like this, and that other people have thoughts like this as well.