The Hunger Games Obsession

by: ostart

This addiction to fiction started with Harry Potter. Then there was a frenzie over the Lord of the Rings and Twilight trilogies. Now, everyone is on to The Hunger Games. Each plot has the similar two elements of fighting and romance. So why, when we've seen it before, is everyone going crazy once again? There have been over 26million copies of The Hunger Games sold. Add eager preview fans to the faithful readers, the number of people excited for the March 23 primere are immense. Maybe the more extreme plot is what draws fans in. This is a story of survival, rebelling against authority, and possible finding love through it all. There is violence, killing of kids, teenagers. A disturbing idea has attracted so many. One article says,"There's no schoolgirl crush happening here, the stakes are too high for that. This isn't about a first kiss. This is life and death."

I'm guilty of being apart of this craziness. A few friends and I made sure to purchase midnight release tickets before they sold out. I can't believe the hype that this has created and what a diverse fan base it has attracted.

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2012/03/18/the_hunger_games_is_s...

Fellow Obsessor

Submitted by sydrich__10 on Sun, 2012-03-18 12:38.

Hello Olivia,

I too am a fellow obsessor of the series Hunger Games. I also wonder why people are so obsessed with these genres even though they come out so often. I think what appeals to me about Hunger Games is the fact that it is somewhat different than Twilight or Lord of the Rings. I mean kids are killing each other! That is something you don't read about everyday. Even though it is a little brutal, it stills drew me in and I couldn't stop reading. GO HUNGER GAMES!

Excited to read more from you. Oh...and see the midnight premiere, holla!

Syd

Not So Much

bondel's picture
Submitted by bondel on Sun, 2012-03-18 13:10.

Dear Ostart:

I enjoyed reading your post, "The Hunger Games Obsession," because I as well have read the books like the millions of people that are addicted to it. To say the least this is not one of those books that I say I'm addicted to. That award goes to the Lightning Thief series. One sentence that stand out to me is: "Add eager preview fans to the faithful readers, the number of people excited for the March 23 primere are immense." The movie looks alright but it was not what I expected so I will not be seeing it I will just probably wait till it comes out in DVD then watch it. I do want to see how it would turn out to be but I doubt it will be good.

Another sentence that stood out to me is: "Maybe the more extreme plot is what draws fans in.: This is what actually got me to read this book. I read the first copy back in 2010 (Original Fan) when no one knew about this book and I just picked it up because the name sounded cool. So then I was amazed by how interesting it was from the action, rebellions, and the society's.

Thank you for sharing. I looks forward to reading your next post because I think it will be just as interesting as this one. Also I would like to know which one is your favorite book of the series?

Response to: The Hunger Games Obsession

Submitted by baetir on Sun, 2012-03-18 19:20.

Dear Ostart,

I was interested in your post, “The Hunger Games Obsession” because I some what agree with your descriptions. Also I appreciate the ways you talked about the topic and ideals towards the concept.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ Each plot has the similar two elements of fighting and romance” I chose this sentence because I agree with you that every concept of these great stories contain both violence and romance. It’s as if we were being introduced to the same things over and over again just different characters and setting.

Another sentence that I liked from your post was: “So why, when we've seen it before, is everyone going crazy once again?” I chose this sentence as well because I also agree with this statement and also wonder why we feed so much attention to these series of stories. Could it be that the media inspires us to be addicted to them or the characters from the series?

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was anticipated to see Harry Potter the first part of many to come and went out of my way to see it. I was astonished with the movie, but as time passed I began noticing the same things over and over again. Now years later she regrets it deeply and I some what feel to blame for telling her it was her decision. Now looking back at those times, I grew tired of those types of movies. They played out to me and I don’t look at them the same as I use to.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I like your point of view on the topic. Also because it’s obvious you’re a great writer who shares your thoughts and is honest with reality. I would like to see your views on another certain topic of your interest.

The Hunger Games Obsession

reywin's picture
Submitted by reywin on Sun, 2012-03-18 19:43.

Dear ostart:
I enjoyed reading your post,”The Hunger Games Obsession,” because I just finish reading the first book and I loved it so much that I can’t wait to see the movie. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "There's no schoolgirl crush happening here, the stakes are too high for that. This isn't about a first kiss. This is life and death." I agree with this because is true that is not about a first kiss is about fighting for your life is about life and death. Also is about how you will survive. Another sentence that I enjoyed was: “A few friends and I made sure to purchase midnight release tickets before they sold out.” This stood out for me because I did the same thing I brought tickets before they sold out. Your post reminds me of something that happen to me. One time I was in my advisory and I notice that people were saying that the Hunger Games is a good book to read. So what I did is I started reading the first few pages and I found it boring, but then I kept reading and reading and I started loving it that I couldn’t stop reading until I finish it and now I want to read part 2 and part 3 because I got so into the book now. When I heard there was a movie coming out I got super excited and happy that I can’t wait for March 23. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I truly loved your post. Thank You!

Dear ostart: I enjoyed your

espjos's picture
Submitted by espjos on Sun, 2012-03-18 20:20.

Dear ostart:

I enjoyed your post “the hunger games obsession” because I agree with the post and what it attempted to say. I also appreciate it because it is informative. A sentence that stood out to me is “This addiction to fiction started with Harry Potter. Then there was a frenzie over the Lord of the Rings and Twilight trilogies. Now, everyone is on to The Hunger Games.” because that is very true. Another sentence that stood out is "Maybe the more extreme plot is what draws fans in." This is interesting because it is very true. I agree with Ostart. Thanks for writing. I look forward to see what you write next because your posts are very interesting and they are also very insightful.

yay, hunger games!

penkia's picture
Submitted by penkia on Sun, 2012-03-18 21:40.

Dear Olivia :

I was eager to read about your thoughts and opinions on the Hunger Games in your post, "The Hunger Games Obsession," because I'm surrounded by the crazy hype as well. But I can't lie, I'm apart of it as well.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Each plot has the similar two elements of fighting and romance. So why, when we've seen it before, is everyone going crazy once again?" In a way, the Hunger Games is different from Harry Potter and Twilight, the main idea wasn't about love. This is all about survival of the fittest and competition and maybe we might come across love. Thank god it isn't the main focus though (I've had enough of those.)

Another sentence that I liked was: "Maybe the more extreme plot is what draws fans in." I agreed with this, the Hunger Games has a lot more action than most of the usual series. That's why I (and probably everybody else that is anticipating the movie) is so drawn to it. :)

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I can't wait to see what the other two books are going to turn out to be, I'm so excited!