A Hunter's Revenge

by: 16trottic

I created the Scratch animation “A Hunter’s Revenge” as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story in which there is a decision that involves doing the right thing. The right thing is the decision that does not hurt others. In an ethical story, a character has to decide whether to do the right thing or the thing that benefits or satisfies himself/herself. This decision is called an ethical decision.

My story is about an old hunter who lives in the woods with his two children. Since he lives on the outskirts of the village, he has no friends. Therefore, he greatly cherishes his two children. One day, he leaves the house to hunt when a wolf travels to his house and eats his children. Due to the hunter’s intense love for his children, he is infuriated. He organizes an angry mob of villagers to kill the wolf. They track the wolf down to one spot where it is trapped, suffering from starvation. The angry mob remains behind, leaving the hunter to face the hunter alone. The ethical decision, which the player can make, is the choice to kill the wolf for revenge or let it go. Revenge is the bad decision, so it has negative consequences. Letting the wolf go is the right decision, so it has positive consequences. If the player chooses revenge, the hunter kills the wolf and the angry mob approaches. They claim that the hunter is the real monster for choosing revenge, so they kill him. If the player chooses to let the wolf go, the hunter sends the mob back to the village. Then, the wolf pack led by the wolf king approaches the hunter. They reward the hunter for letting the wolf go by giving him his children back. The moral of this story is to never choose revenge.

My story was inspired by the concept of revenge. I thought that when ethical decisions involve revenge, it is so much harder to make the right choice because revenge, the wrong choice, is so satisfying. Therefore, I wanted my story to include a tempting decision regarding revenge. Since many stories for young children include animals, I thought that I should include animals. Therefore, I thought of using a wolf as the villain of the story. Since wolves live in woods, I decided to have a hunter living in the woods as my main character. I wanted the wolf to do something bad to the hunter so that the ethical decision would be the hunter’s choice to kill the wolf or not. I thought that the wolf should eliminate something valuable of the hunter, so I thought it should eat the hunter’s children. From this original idea, I worked out the details.

I think I was successful in creating my story because I fulfilled all of the requirements of this assignment. The first requirement is that each ending of the story must be at least three minutes, and both of my endings are longer than three minutes. The second requirement is that the story must be interactive, and my story is interactive because the player is able to make the ethical decision for the character. The third requirement was that the player must be able to make the an ethical decision with two choices and in my story, there is one ethical decision and two choices. The player can either choose revenge or letting a bad creature go. The fourth requirement was that there must be at least two branches of the story based on the ethical decision and I know that in my story, there are different consequences for each decision, which lead to two endings. These are the two branches. The fifth requirement was that the student must give credit to all sources of material if the student modified or used existing material. Since I created this story by myself and I did not modify or use existing material, so I do not need to give credit. The last requirement is that the story must be appropriate for children up to 13 years old. I know that my story is appropriate for children 13 and younger because there is no blood in the story. Since I have satisfied all of the requirements, I think I was successful in creating my story.

I liked the story of your

16ngj's picture
Submitted by 16ngj on Thu, 2012-01-05 15:43.

I liked the story of your animation and how the animation was presented. I liked how everything was so smooth like the transition between the backgrounds.

I was confused by what happened after I chose the wrong choice. I know the lesson is to not take revenge, but the townspeople agreed to take down the wolf, and the main character did, but the townspeople killed him because he killed the wolf.

The ethical dilemma in your story to not take revenge on anyone because you will be the monster. The wrong choices were tempting. The mechanism for making choices were clear.

I liked your story :)

16wanga's picture
Submitted by 16wanga on Thu, 2012-01-05 17:15.

I liked your unique story plot and how you hand-drew all the characters and backgrounds.
I was confused by your nonethical decision's effect. Why would the villagers, who wanted to kill the wolf, kill the hunter for killing it himself? I think you should've made the wolf king go after him.
The ethical dilemma in your story was very tempting. I really wanted to choose the wrong one at first (I mean, who doesn't like revenge?). And I agree with the lesson learned from the ethical decision, revenge is never the answer.

Comment

16chowdhurym's picture
Submitted by 16chowdhurym on Thu, 2012-01-05 20:45.

I think that this story has a good plot. Also the story goes along smoothly. I didn't find any bugs in this story. It worked quite well and actually was interesting.

Great Job!

Submitted by 16savinone on Fri, 2012-01-06 06:58.

I liked the story plot snd the way the story itself was displayed.

I noticed that the wolf had just moved backwards but the wolf king had turned around and walked away.

The ethical dilemma in your story is to not take revenge on anyone because they won't be the only ones losing. The decisions to be made were very clear and they were tempting and the mechanism for making the decisions was good.

I couldn't believe they were both drawn by you!

16kokoszkar's picture
Submitted by 16kokoszkar on Tue, 2012-01-24 15:47.

I really liked your story and one thing I noticed is how much time you took to actually draw everything by hand in the paint section of Scratch. When I first saw the transition between the man and the man with the rifle, I couldn't believe that they were both drawn by you. The story was also really well thought out for the decision making. Good job :D

Great Job!

Submitted by 17suek on Wed, 2012-04-25 21:29.

I really liked how you put together this story to signify mercy or revenge. One thing you could have improved were that the wolf would have a pack too so the other hunters would be busy and therefore there was only one way for the hunter to go.

wthical dilemma

17kimjm's picture
Submitted by 17kimjm on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:59.

i like the plot. the ethical dilemma is either avenge his child or let him go.