Hurricane Sandy: Storm Stories

I never really noticed Hurricane Sandy until Sunday, October 28, 2012. I heard about it from my parents watching the news and the radio but no one at that point really talked about what they thought would happen until Sunday. I'm not blaming anyway or anything, I'm just telling you about my point of this story. On Sunday, when new information of Hurricane Sandy was coming in, and the mayor canceled school I realized that this was huge and was something not to be taken as a joke. Soon, schools were canceled for a week although not that much damage happened in my neighborhood though just really strong winds. And I happen to know that for a fact because on October 30 because everyone in my family had cabin fever. We only stayed out for about 10 minutes before rushing outside. Even though I know it's really crazy to go outside at that time we were dressed warm but the wind was blowing us so hard we were about to blown away with it. Later that week, it was on the news it showed all these stories about people with blackouts and people that need help. O basically for hurricane Sandy I did what anyone else would do, curled up hoping I could help those stuck in the storm but also to keep myself safe.

Hello Sabrina- I have to say

Submitted by Jimnordlinger on Mon, 2012-11-05 21:19.

Hello Sabrina-

I have to say I very much identified with the way you expressed the mixture of awe in recognizing the Sandy's power, while remaining connected to something very personal, in your response. You seemed to enjoy being connected to your family in such a tumultuous time, while also recognizing others were experiencing great challenge. This felt honest and acutely aware of the smaller and larger community in which you live. That reminded me of what it takes to be a human. This response made me feel very good about us humans. Thank you.

Hi, thanks for replying. I

Submitted by SabrinaKhan on Wed, 2012-11-07 14:32.

Hi, thanks for replying. I have to say thank you because it was a hard time but luckily we weren't affected that much like other people did. I am just glad that everything is coming back together in New York.

Sabrina- I am really sorry

Submitted by Elle D on Wed, 2012-11-07 14:51.

Sabrina-

I am really sorry to hear about this. at first i had just heard comments and things about the hurricane and i didn't think much of it. after reading this and realizing it afffects real people, people like me, i thought much more of it. it's really sad how some people are making jokes about it, and pretending it's no big deal. when really, it is. When the tsunami happened in Japan, any people started programs to help donate and help them. But thid happened in the U.S., where we live, and not many people are doing anything about it. I really hope that everything turns out alright for you.

Hello

Submitted by anonymous on Wed, 2012-11-07 14:58.

Hi,

Over the past few weeks many people across the country have heard about "The Perfect Storm" on the news.I live in California and I just wanted to say I wish I could help all of those suffering out east. We on the west coast haven't really experienced anything that big ever. I would like to tell you to try and stick through the tough times and I hope you are all doing better.

hurricane sandy

Submitted by Anonymous on Wed, 2012-11-07 15:01.

this sucks. i wish i was there to help.

I'm Sorry!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Spencer on Wed, 2012-11-07 18:05.

I am so sorry for what happened. I really hope you are okay. The wind seemed really fast and maybe even scary. I am asuming you are in middle school right now. I am al least. If I was you I would super sacred. I am also happy to hear that your town or house did not get to meesed up and you can still live there. Stay safe Spencer Grayson Drennan

Stay Safe

Submitted by Claire on Thu, 2012-11-08 01:59.

Hello Sabrina,

I really hope everyone in your family and community are safe. I hate to admit but, i wasnt well aware of how bad Hurricane Sandy was. I live in California and i go to Joaquin Moraga Intermediate School (JMIS) so everything i know is from internet sites and the news. It must be stressful and scary with all the strong winds, cancelled school days, etc. I wouldnt be happy if school was cancelled, although many would be, they dont realize that with school cancelled you are stuck in your house the whole day with no friends and much contact from your community. Stay safe and be well.

Good luck,

Claire

Stay Safe

Submitted by Claire on Thu, 2012-11-08 02:00.

Hello Sabrina,

Good luck,

Claire