I am really interested in Pacific Crossing

by: WPereira

Recently I read  pages 1 to 18 in Pacific Crossing, by Gary Soto, and I am really interested in this book. This is because it is about two boys that are in a student foreign exchange program. They live in San Francisco and are going to Japan for 6 weeks. I like this because I am interested in Asian cultures and it would be nice to read it from a perspective of a kid close to my age.There are also some funny parts.

One line from this part of the book that stands out for me is: "Nine thousand miles from home, thought Lincoln, and Tony's acting like a regular vato," because there are so far away from home and he is acting like if he was back home. This is kind of funny because he may not follow Japanese culture and at the end he will be kicked out of the program. HAHA.

Another line that I liked was: "To Lincoln Tokyo was disappointingly modern." I can relate to this because I also thought that Japan is like what they show in tv and movies. You know with samuries, ninjas, traditional clothing, etc. At one piont Japan was like that but then got modernized when the Europeans went over.

What's probably going to happen next is that Lincoln would meet the Ono family. Maybe Mr. Ono's kid would want to be friends with Lincoln and would want to learn some American culture while Lincoln would like to know some Japenese cultures.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of this book because it is a great way to see from the eyes of a kid what Japanese is like from America. I would also like to se what happens to Lincolns friend because he is acting so vato.

I liked your Literature log,

Submitted by mshah on Mon, 2009-05-04 10:40.

I liked your Literature log, " I'm really interested in Pacific Crossing," because I am also reading this book. You're actually right this book is really interesting. The characteristics in the book are funny. I am bit ahead of you. If you
read more then you'll find more interesting then right now.

One line from this part of the book that stands out for me is: "Nine thousand miles from home, thought Lincoln, and Tony's acting like a regular vato," I think this really funny his acting like a child even though his traveling away from his house to some strangers family.

Another sentence that I liked was; ''This is because it is about two boys that are in a student foreign exchange program." This stood out for me because these boys are really going crazy in Japan. They we will have a mexican food party for their host family in Japan.

Your Literature log reminds me of something that happen to me. Last summer when I went to Florida I was going crazy like the character in the book. I was acting like a little kid and I was so happy.

Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I want to know if you can learn some Spanish and some Japanese.