Courage for you and others

by: Jordan2.0

External video: 

See video

I believe that courage plays a very big role in my life and even maybe many others as well.

I believe that courage has more than one meaning to some than others. To me, courage means that if you fear something, you face that fear and look past it. In my life, courage has taken me so far and I wouldn’t be where I am today without it. The person that I am just revolves around the idea of courage. Courage isn’t something that you just automatically have, but something that eventually everyone will find.

A big problem that almost all teens go through or have witnessed, is bullying. It doesn’t matter whether they were the bully, or they were victim. Everyone has gone through it. The topic of bullying makes me cringe but it is just a topic exploding with the idea of courage. People need to learn how to stick up for themselves and for others. It takes, courage to do that and that’s why people need to find where their courage lies. I know it may be hard to get the courage to stand up for yourself or for one of your peers. Even for someone that you don’t know.

Now a days I have seen videos on YouTube where there is a kid or even an adult being bullied and no one around them even bothers to step in and stick up for what they think is right.
Here is a video of a young kid who has been getting bullied most of his life and finally sticks up for himself : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isfn4OxCPQs

After I watched this video, It made me happy because this kid has been bullied for so long and he finally gained the courage to stick up for himself. This short clip inspired me to help other realize how important courage is and how it can really affect their lives. I know courage has changed my life and has made me who I am today.

Reply

18mazumderr's picture
Submitted by 18mazumderr on Wed, 2015-04-01 11:46.

I really agree with the message your trying to send. I know that people today should be defending themselves and not let other people in their lives just gain control of them. This ruins the way that people think and believe. I believe that students really shouldn't try to fight back or try to stick up for themselves because that could easily lead to violence. I believe that the right option for people is to help other, younger and older become more educated on conflict resolution. This will help them to stand out and fix problems without having it be resorted to lower methods.

I agree with your statement

18rydingm's picture
Submitted by 18rydingm on Wed, 2015-04-01 11:48.

I agree with your statement that people need to stick up for themselves and their peers because it is important for people to feel safe. What do you think someone should do if they do stick up for a peer and end up getting bullied themselves?

same

18iguavillamarinj's picture
Submitted by 18iguavillamarinj on Wed, 2015-04-01 11:49.

I have also watched this video before and i have to agree with your response because it was exactly my response when i watched it. It made me feel sad that these kids have to be bullied just because of the way they look. I dont exactly agree in the way that bullies should be punished physically, but i understand that sometimes it is the only option. I myself have witnessed a victim of bullying being defended by innocent bystanders and it made me happy not because the bully was being punished but because others were standing up for him. This is what it is all about, people need to stand up when they see someone get bullied, because the person in that situation might be asking for help and you can be the one to save him.

Courage conquers all!

18tsamadosg's picture
Submitted by 18tsamadosg on Wed, 2015-04-01 18:04.

Dear Jordan2.0,

I agree with your statement that courage can change not only our own lives but other peoples' lives as well. Courage is not an easy characteristic to have, it takes skill and facing your fears more than once or twice. Courage is about facing your fears. So many people don’t do what they want in life or they don’t do the right thing because they are afraid. Fear holds us back so much and if we push past it, which is not easy, we can accomplish anything! It really worries me how often bullying happens today and how so few people ever stand up for themselves or even stand up for others when they clearly know what is going on. not standing for the right thing comes from fear. It's easy to do what is wrong but it is not easy to do the right thing. I agree that people need to stick up for others but also that people need to learn how to stand up for themselves. If people acted more confident and strong and unafraid, bullies would be scared to attack because victims are usually the weakest people. You need to learn to stand up for yourself and love yourself so that others respect you.

General Discussion Response on Courage

18chub's picture
Submitted by 18chub on Wed, 2015-04-01 21:55.

Dear Jordan2.0 :
I am happy with your post, "Courage for you and others," because it strengthens the idea that everyone has courage it is just a matter of finding it.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Courage isn’t something that you just automatically have, but something that eventually everyone will find." I think this is true because I agree with this statement that everyone has courage. The biggest problem is having doubt which lessens peoples courage.
Another sentence that I liked was: " I know it may be hard to get the courage to stand up for yourself or for one of your peers." This stood out for me because I also feel like bullying is a big issue but what I find more absurd is the people standing by and watching. I know people don't want to get hurt which is why people are scared to stick up for others.
Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I saw some kids getting bullied at my school. It was only a social experiment but I helped the kid afterward. I felt bad because I had not helped him sooner when the bullying was happening.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you seem to be very confident and brave yourself. I would like to see what you write about because it gives me confidence and courage in my life.

Agreement

18rahmani's picture
Submitted by 18rahmani on Wed, 2015-04-01 22:32.

When I watched the video I realized that there was still some faith in humanity left. Courage is an important part of peoples live that everyone should have but not many people do because they are scared. What I saw in the video was a act of standing up for what is right. I agree with the idea of looking past fear which you included in the discussion. Bullying should be fixed throughout society and if people help each other out; others will have courage to stand up for what is right. Courage can be accomplished by facing your fears one on one. The bullying video shows a prime example of a kid learning to stand up for what is right and people who don't have courage should get advice on what to do

Cowardly Lion

Submitted by PedalPusherParent on Sat, 2015-04-04 20:33.

I think what you said about courage is mostly true. It is important to find courage and be able to stick up for oneself and their peers. However, I wouldn't say that bullying helps people find their courage. I think bullying is inherently malicious and although it may create situations where courage is easily visible, that doesn't make even the slightest bullying tolerable. Courage I think is better found on a life journey or a trying moment in our lives like the Lion from The Wizard of Oz. He wasn't bullied to find his courage, but had a journey through life to find it in a way that gave him aplomb. Bullying doesn't raise self-confidence, rather bullying degrades it.

Good Ideas

Submitted by ndklebba on Wed, 2015-04-15 17:09.

Jordan2.0 I like how you bring up the idea of courage. I like where you say that courage is eventually something we will find. To me this makes sense because you earlier define your definition of courage. By finding our own courage means that in life we have to find what we fear. I takes situations in life to realize that we might be scared of things. Some tie courage and being adventurous in the same category, which isn't wrong, but maybe that adventurous person climbing a mountain side is scared of driving a car or riding a bike. We are all individual people and have to have our own moments in life to understand our courage. Great essay and I believe in what you are saying too.

This is a very cool topic. I

Submitted by wilkinsonk16 on Mon, 2015-11-30 08:33.

This is a very cool topic. I find that courage also plays a very important role in my life and also wrote a paper on it. I think that to elaborate and make this piece better is to elaborate on all different types of courage. I think it is cool that you focused just on one topic (bullying).

This is a very cool topic. I

This is a very cool topic. I

I also agree that having

Submitted by connorc on Thu, 2016-02-18 13:19.

I also agree that having courage is very important. It's important to believe in yourself and have confidence in what you're all about. That's how you become a successful person. I think having courage applies to much more than just bullying. Having courage every day to push yourself to do new things and improve your life is necessary to be a successful person! Do you agree? Have a good one!
Connor