True Equality = Gay Marriage

by: jade2016

“If we cannot now end our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity.”
-John F. Kennedy.

This quote shows the basis of the generalized fundamental understanding that the people who inhabit the earth are amazingly diverse. Looking back on the history made by the human population, diversity has not been a celebrated thing as it should have been, but rather it has been scorned and mistreated. Those who were seen as inferior became the minorities of the people, and were (and are) treated as such.

Today these minorities include those who identify as LGBT, as they are not awarded the same equal rights and opportunities as their heterosexual and cisgender (meaning a person whose self-identity conforms with the gender that corresponds to their biological sex) counterparts. Standing for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender, those who identify as LGBT remain widely oppressed as they are not given equal rights in the eyes of the American government. I believe that every person deserves equal rights and opportunities regardless of their sexual orientation, and until marriage equality is achieved in the United States, true equality amongst the people is impossible.

One of the most prominent issues for the LGBT community in the United States is the lack of representation and normalization of the lifestyle both in the media and in everyday life. These things determine how much is known about a particular subject portrayed in the media, and not enough people in the U.S. are properly educated on the subject of homosexuality.

Representation in the media is very important to the reputation of a person or a people these days, and the LGBT community is given a very poor representation. Commercials featuring gay couples are rare, children’s television shows portraying gay couples is almost unheard of, and when a character on television is gay, their role is more than likely “the gay best friend.”

There are few television shows that accurately portray the normal lifestyle of an LGBT family, which means homosexuality will not become as normalized as heterosexuality in the United States. Though there has been much progress made over the years, in order for the LGBT community to command equality, it’s representation must begin to be normalized.

Another key issue that contributes to the oppression of the LGBT community in America is the lack of equal job opportunities for those who identify as gay. As there is no federal law banning the discrimination of workers for their sexual or gender identity, it is legal in 29 states for a person to be fired, denied a job opportunity or promotion, harassed, or otherwise discriminated against simply because they are gay.

According to studies, between 15 and 43% of LGBT people in the U.S. have experienced harassment or discrimination in their workplace, and 90% of transgender people alone have experienced this kind of harassment. About 3.5% of the adult population in the United States identifies as LGBT, making that around 9 million people who fall under the umbrella term “queer.”

All of these people are susceptible to a type of rejection or harassment in the work industry simply because of their sexual orientation. Until there is a non-discrimination law set for sexual/gender orientation, the unfair treatment of LGBT people in the workplace will continue. Without these laws deeming LGBT people equal to the rest, they will continue to be treated as inferior and unequal. In order to promote equality among the American people, those who identify as LGBT must begin to be given equal protection and opportunities as their counterparts.

The final major issue that dehumanizes the LGBT community is the argument over marriage in the 50 states. Since the first legal same-sex marriage in 2001, over half the states have moved away from their former views of “traditional marriage” and adopted full marriage equality. In 13 remaining states however, Michigan included, it is still illegal for a person to marry another of their same sex.

As of today same-sex marriage legalities are determined by the states, but the matter has recently been taken up by the supreme court. If the high court were to rule marriage equality for the 50 states, a major step towards the normalization of the LGBT community will have been made. Equal treatment will begin with the legalization of same-sex marriage, but until that day those who are LGBT will remain a minority group in the United States.

Minority groups throughout history have fought for their rights and won. Huge progress has been made starting with the people who decide that enough is enough, and begin to fight back. With this mindset, racial and gender equality movements have succeeded and been written into law. The fight for equal rights of the LGBT community has become the next minority movement that will not end until marriage equality is present in all 50 states.

Studies show that 30% of LGBT youth attempt suicide around the age of 15, and an LGBT individual is two to six times more likely to commit suicide than a heterosexual. These statistics are greatly influenced by the way LGBT people are treated in the United States, and in giving equal rights and opportunities to the LGBT community these numbers could begin to go down. Until the day that every person is held equal to one another, no one is truly equal.

Link to audio of the essay: https://soundcloud.com/jadeseiler/sets/this-i-believe-audio

LOVE IT

Submitted by Qfrazier on Mon, 2015-03-30 12:12.

I love it just on a personal note, because my mother and grandmother are gay. How is that possible? Well as they explain to me is that the bible says all a woman has to do is have at least one kid so that is what they did when they felt they was ready to have a kid. You should put in some facts about how happy they are just to be them. Also you should tell readers where you got the data from. Later on when you have to do a huge paper or senior project that is going to be a problem so better get used to it now right. Other than that there are some really good facts and I hope you are proud of your work cause I am. IF you ever want to talk hit me up. GOOD LUCK

THANK YOU

Submitted by jade2016 on Wed, 2015-04-01 13:04.

Thank you for your suggestions, I'll take them into account. I really enjoyed your personal insight on the topic, I love hearing about those kinds of things! I'm glad that you could connect to it. Also, thank you for the positive comments! They're much appreciated.

Liked it

Submitted by mgomes on Fri, 2016-06-03 11:08.

I agree to you because it think that if she had added a little bit more info we all that read it could of had more understanding but other wise i think Jade did a good job explain why we should believe in our self.

Jade2016, You did a

Submitted by angelinatermunde on Tue, 2015-03-31 16:36.

Jade2016,
You did a tremendous job on presenting your information! I enjoyed reading your post because I too agree that these "minorities" should be treated with the respect and dignity that they deserve. They are no different than us and should not have to vote for their rights it should be given. I also really liked the quote you started off with by John F. Kennedy that really grabs peoples attention. All your information was also very insightful for what these people go through. I would also perhaps suggest maybe taking a look at the other side, like why people do not like the LGBT community. Good work!

Thanks!

Submitted by jade2016 on Wed, 2015-04-01 13:11.

Thanks so much for your positive comments! And for your opinion. I am glad that you feel the same way! It's good to hear agreement from others. I spent a lot of the time I spent working on this trying to find the right things to say and points to prove in order to get my message across. So I'm happy to get positive feedback. Also, thanks for your suggestion! It's been noted.

Wow this was so great !

Submitted by eurena on Wed, 2015-04-01 11:18.

Wow this was so great !

I thought this was a great

Submitted by kaliawells_22 on Wed, 2015-04-01 15:26.

I thought this was a great argument, and I completely agree. The fact that we still cannot see diversity as something to value says a lot about this country, especially because of the heavy criticism we give to past generations for the way diversity was viewed. Although we have come a long way, there is still a long way to go - starting with the acceptance of the LGBT community. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome Research

Submitted by Chrispayne on Thu, 2015-04-02 19:56.

Jade, that was an awesome post. If this is for a research project or something like that, it's clear you've done your research. I completely agree with everything you said, especially your point on how lack of education is one of the biggest problems right now. I know I get excited every time there is a gay couple in a movie or book, but that's just depressing for several reasons. First of all, it shouldn't be surprising or novel to see gay characters. I know you found that 3.5% of adults in the U.S. are LGBT, but I suspect that the number would be much higher if everyone felt free to be themselves. Second, it is only ever gay characters. While gay characters are becoming more common with growing acceptance, it is still very rare to find bisexuality, transgender, or other sexualities and genders in popular media. We have a long way to go.

Great writing! I completely

Submitted by Connormorgan7 on Sat, 2015-04-04 14:13.

Great writing! I completely agree with your opinion on this issue, and all the facts that you used added credibility to your argument. My one suggestion for making your argument stronger would be to further examine the legal issues that homosexual people face. According to the 14th Amendment to the Constitution, all people are guaranteed equal protection and due process, and states aren't allowed to make contrary laws. Based on this, I think that, for example, there is a federal law that indirectly protects against workplace discrimination and marriage equality. The problem is that some states make unconstitutional laws that limit the rights of LGBT people. Sadly, the inequality won't be really fixed until enough people make stands in the US Courts—these people shouldn't have to do that, but the states are forcing them too. Luckily, based on decisions from the past few years, I think that we're on the right track toward equality.