I Love College?

Recently an artist, Asher Roth, produced a new song called I Love College. This song discusses the "fun" of college life. It goes into detail about drugs, drinking, and of course, the opposite sex. Most teenagers I know are drinking in the lyrics, looking forward to their own college "experience", and some hope it'll be identical to Asher Roth's definition. Others fear the pressure to do things they're not ready for.
"(chorus)
that party lastnight was awfully crazy
i wish we taped it
i danced my ass off and had this one girl completly naked
drink my beer and smoke my weed
but my good friends is all i need
pass out at 3 wake up at 10
go out to eat then do it again"
          -lyricsmania.com

Just last week we had a drunk driving and hazing assembly. it was possibly one of the most depressing assemblies that I've ever attended. The saddest part of the assembly was the fact that it was focused on college frats, drinking, etc. And all of that had to do with one of our former students, Michael Starks, who died from hazing, and drinking at a fraternity initiation.
"Alcohol-related consequences for college students between the ages of 18-24i:
• Death: 1,700 die each year from alcohol-related unintentional injuries, including motor vehicle crashes
• Injury: 599,000 are unintentionally injured under the influence of alcohol
• Assault: More than 696,000 are assaulted by another student who has been drinking
• Sexual Abuse: More than 97,000 are victims of alcohol-related sexual assault or date rape
• Unsafe Sex: 400,000 have unprotected sex and more than 100,000 report having been too intoxicated to know if they consented to having sex
• Academic Problems: About 25 percent of students report academic consequences of their drinking including missing class, falling behind, doing poorly on exams or papers, and receiving lower grades overall
• Health Problems/Suicide Attempts: More than 150,000 develop an alcohol-related health problem
• Drunk Driving: 2.1 million drive under the influence of alcohol each year"
            -madd.org   

Many new college students also decide to try drugs for the first time; mainly marijuana. Now I've had conversations, and debates about the affects of marijuana. I've always grown up thinking that it kills your lungs, brain cells, and that it's just plain bad for you. Some smarty-pants friends of mine have told me that they researched it, and in fact, none of that information is a threat. A lot of medical studies show that marijuana does in fact have a harmful affect on someone's body. Some long effects have to do with the heart, brain, and lungs. So wherever those kids got their information, they should probably look again because it's wrong."

Short-Term Effects

The short-term effects of marijuana include:

• Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch)
  • Problems with memory and learning
  • Loss of coordination
  • Trouble with thinking and problem-solving
  • Increased heart rate, reduced blood pressure"

-alcoholism.about.com

The fact of the matter is that college isn't all about the parties, the booze, the drugs, and the sex. Sure that's all fun, until someone dies! Basically, just be smart and in the words of my mother, "make good choices!"

I agree college parties

Submitted by YShinohara on Thu, 2009-05-07 08:38.

I agree college parties sounds fun, but behind the screen people die from it. I thought college was for education o.0

That doesn't even sound

Submitted by RThimote on Thu, 2009-05-07 08:52.

That doesn't even sound remotely correct. College, in my opinion, isn't for you to learn more stuff. You've already learned it all in your 13 years (including kindergarten) of education. College is only to apply what you've already known to get a degree by the governments standards of what a human being should know.

*nod nod*

おにここめ、よこしま、ゆめ!

yes we all do love collage

Submitted by rvlas on Thu, 2009-05-07 08:48.

yes we all do love collage expect the fact that we have to pay of it >.< i wish they would make collage free again but nooo they want to be greedy and get rich instead.

This is very insightful to

Submitted by GSoukup on Thu, 2009-05-07 09:12.

This is very insightful to the world around us. But I think that if people go out to drink they should know what that stuff like this would happen. Its not a sure thing to happen but it has a very high chance of happening. But people need to use their better judgment.

Rights should not be stifled by fear.

o yea dont use the argument

Submitted by MOnishen on Thu, 2009-05-07 12:03.

o yea dont use the argument that 18 is to low of a age to drink. cause at 18 u can sign up to go to war. u can kill some one but u cant drink. and when u come back from killing and u lost a leg on the battle field and u go to a bar to get a drink but ur only 19 u cant and how fair is that

studies show that the reason

Submitted by MOnishen on Thu, 2009-05-07 12:06.

studies show that the reason the college students drink is cause its against the law. like in a frat house they tell u to drink cause if u get caught u get in trouble. so if u lower the drinking age it would be better.

my solution to the problem of under age drinking is that at the age of 17 if u want to drink at 18 u can take a class and if u pass the class then u can take a test and if u pass the test u can get a "drinking licience". and there should be rules. and the punishment for these rules is that your licence take away. and your pic will be sent to all the local liquor stores.

you see i dont know why

Submitted by 12shimonovav on Thu, 2009-05-07 12:38.

you see i dont know why people would take this song seriously. hence its JUST A SONG. so what if he talkes about drinking and all that stuff. It doesnt necessarily mean that everyone whos going to college will drink and drive like you mentioned. I think its ridiculous if people actually take this song seriously.