I Want to Widen my Horizon

by: madisons

Last year in Digital Photography 1 I focused on capturing macro shots, I ended the year with a variety of pictures that I was very proud of. This year I want to widen my horizon and enhance my landscape and portrait skills. I think learning to capture a photo of someone that really says who they are is a great talent, and I wish to learn how to capture people in their element. As far as landscapes go, one of my very favorite photographers, Ansel Adams, once said, "A photograph is often looked at - seldom looked into." This is so true, and I want to be able to capture a landscape that truly captures the feeling, not just the sight, of the time and place it was taken. If I can do that, it might provoke people to look into the picture as opposed to just look at it.

Please feel free to look at my photography on Flickr!

Also, these are some pictures I uploaded over the summer:

I really like the

Submitted by Jgoldsmith on Wed, 2010-09-22 11:01.

I really like the different perspectives and angles you have used to enhance the photos of every day events. very well done!

i would also like to learn

Submitted by Zoe27 on Wed, 2010-10-06 10:38.

i would also like to learn how to take a good portrait picture. i have taken some i the past but i want to learn how to really capture peolple's emotions and personality better.

here is a portrait i took that i really like:

dude! your pictures are

Submitted by maggiefey1993 on Wed, 2010-10-06 10:43.

dude! your pictures are awesome! i absolutely love the first one (it made me and my bud alex hungry). I love taking pictures of junk food as well :) i love the lighting and the fact that yours is outside! nice job!

madisons, I absolutely love

Submitted by MaryZost on Sat, 2010-10-09 15:36.

madisons,

I absolutely love this post. I've always been interested in photography and the ability that pictures have to evoke emotion and encourage discovery through still life. Particularly, I appreciated your quotation of Ansel Adams' "A photograph is often looked at - seldom looked into". This quote really embodies your mission in photography and it is such an admirable goal to make people feel rather than just see passively. I also enjoyed your inclusion of some of your work. Your first picture definitely evokes feelings, and I like the contrast between the bright colors in the foreground and more muted colors in the background. I believe the subject matter, ability to capture color and contrast, and lighting all serve to enhance an emotional experience by the viewer. I love the idea of making photography active rather than passive. Thank you so much for your work. Hearing about your goal in photography is inspiring and I'm sure it will cause a lot of people to consider their purposes in the realm of photography as well. I look forward to what you post next.

MaryZost

madisons, I really like your

Submitted by Brian Willhard on Sat, 2010-10-09 22:51.

madisons,

I really like your photos. The first and third especially captured my attention with both the subject and perspective. I felt the need to stop and really examine the photos so I think you succeeded in your goal. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

-Brian Willhard

Madisons, First off, your

Submitted by M. Ordonez on Sun, 2010-10-10 03:45.

Madisons,

First off, your photos are amazing! I looked at your Flickr account and I'm really inspired. I also enjoy taking pictures, but another one of my favorites is to look at other people's work. I liked how you provided a quote that meant something to you in your post above. I agree with your "theory" completely. Do you plan on incorporating photography into your future carreer? I'm just curious. Your photos truly are inspiring. I look forward to future posts from you. Keep up the great work!

-M. Ordonez

Madisons, You did a

Submitted by patrickgriffin on Sun, 2010-10-10 12:22.

Madisons,

You did a fantastic job. I really like the first picture. Whether you meant to but those crumbs to the left of the ice cream or not it really enhances the photos. Every time I look at it i gain something new from the shot. Great job I hope to see more great pictures in the near future.