I'd Like you To Meet Writer's Block

by: cropner

Where Does Writers Block come From?

Have you ever sat down to write a paper and brainstormed in silence and confusion for an hour? What to write about? How to start? So many questions flitter through the mind as you stare at a blank piece of paper before you, daunting, teasing you. I would like to introduce you to Writer’s Block. A somewhat annoying little character who we all seem to meet at the most inopportune moments. But what causes this strange sensation? What causes this famous wall in the mind? Some light is shed on the situation by http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/567/01/

Because writers have various ways of writing, a variety of things can cause a writer to experience anxiety, and sometimes this anxiety leads to writer's block.

According to this same website, Writer’s Block can stem from a deeper layer of apprehension in the mind. If you are not confident in your writing, if you do not know enough about your subject, or writing about something that bores you, can lead to writer’s block. (Tell that to your teachers next time you don’t want to write a paper.) Here are some solutions:

Choose a particular aspect of the topic you are interested in (if the writing situation will allow it...i.e. if the goal of your writing can be adjusted and is not given to you specifically, or if the teacher or project coordinator will allow it)
Resign yourself to the fact that you have to write.

Knowing this can help writers from all different backgrounds fight the walls of Writer’s Block in their brains. Simple outlining of the top, background research, and just focusing on what you like to write about can help writer's combat the fickle Block in the brain. We all suffer from Writer's Block so do what you can do to fight back.

It might be some comfort to know that even professional writers suffer from Writer's Block from time to time. Some of the greatest writers in literature — Leo Tolstoy, Virginia Woolf, Katherine Mansfield, Joseph Conrad, Ernest Hemingway — were tormented by momentary lapses in their ability to produce text — although you wouldn't think it possible if you've ever tried to pick up War and Peacewith one hand.
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/composition/brainstorm_block.htm