Images of a Poem Close to Many Hearts

by: fahmed
New York Dusk By black-snow a Youth Voices pool photographter on Flickr

First of all you should read this powerfully voiced poem called "I am a New Yorker"

Now you can read my response and what I got out of it:

I relate to this poem very much because my dad worked in the empire state building at the time. As I remember it he didn’t go to work that day. I am grateful that he was not hurt.

Sitting in a classroom with my 3rd grade classmates the teachers look horrified as they received the news. My classmates and I were curious as to what was going on, and then the phones started ringing. One by one each student was taken out of the classroom.

Finally when it was my turn I stepped out to a pool of absolutely petrified parents. They were all hysterically crying awaiting their child to come out. I asked my father what had happened; he just turned on the television when we reached home.

When I saw the two towers drop at my age I didn’t understand and had no feelings. However I did comprehend that it was something bad and remembering the faces of the adults around me, I knew that they needed support.

My story ends there, but later on when I grew up I began to understand the catastrophe a little bit more and realized how strong New Yorkers are.

The line “Demolish the steel in our buildings, but it doesn’t touch the steel in our souls,” makes a true statement. This is true because it seems as if New Yorkers can recover from anything whether it is a broken family, broken home, no money. If I were to rename this city it would be called tough city because no matter what shape or size we are, our hearts are built to be strong and take on any challenge and overcome it with hard work.

“I eat Greek food and Italian food, Jewish and Middle Eastern food and Chinese food,” this line stood out to me because New York City had every type of cuisine you can imagine. I don’t like staying in another place for a long time because they don’t have variety like New York does.

I can eat Chinese on one block and Mexican on the next and Indian on the next. Also, Manhattan’s every inch has a different smell because of that. I am definitely proud to live in New York and be a New Yorker.

Thanks for sharing

paulallison's picture
Submitted by paulallison on Mon, 2011-11-28 15:36.

That's an inspiring poem. Thanks for sharing Farisa, and great to hear from you. I had New York-centric feelings when I visited the 9/11 Memorial this weekend.