Immigration pros and cons

In one essay on Opposing Viewpoints the author suggests that we should deport everyone in the United States who is currently illegal. The author talks about how illegal’s from Mexico and other South American countries are taking our jobs: jobs that belong to Americans. He talks about how California was effected right after the mass immigration of over 2 million illegals to California in the 1940’s. He said that schools were overcrowded, neighborhoods were deteriorated and became messy and over populated as well as the amount of money being spent on babies that were born here to illegal parents. He goes on to talk about how the country took stands then and started “Operation Wetback” and deported over 100,000 illegal aliens and convinced over 700,000 more to self deport. The author says that the government can do this again and succeed in getting higher wages and more jobs for the true American; its not that they can’t deport all these people, its that they simply do not have the drive to.

In an opposing essay the author talks about the benefits of the illegal immigrants. She states that their money is going toward Social Security and is contributing a large amount of money that was not previously calculated. It is somewhere between $120 billion to $240 billion a year and that statistic was calculated in 2007. In opposing arguments, people state that illegal immigrants are taking advantage of the system and do not contribute to the country- but in actuality about 2/3rds of iligals were paying money to the government. She goes on to say how birthright should not determine citizenship, and explains how Arizona and Texas used to be part of Mexico and now the people are considered “aliens”. We have been sharing the same soil, and trade for years and somehow they are not allowed. She suggests we as a country need to find a different system: one that works now. For example, if a child born to foreign parents has been here for a certain number of years then they should be considered a citizen. How can we as a country say that our constitution is only valid for a certain number of people: those fortunate enough to be born here. It is time to see that we were all immigrants once.

Jenna, I found it interesting

Submitted by Ave224 on Tue, 2013-01-22 22:38.

Jenna,
I found it interesting when you said, "between $120 billion to $240 billion a year" is spent on social security. I find immigration a big part if this country but I never knew we were spending that much.

Immigration

Submitted by Christian B. on Wed, 2013-01-23 01:47.

Jenna, I agree with you when you say, "It is time to see that we were all immigrants once." I believe that many immigrants are here in the United States for the sole purpose of improving their life by any means possible and not here to necessarily cause problems. For example, part of my family immigrated to the United States from Cuba in order to try to improve their lives and the lives of their children.