Innocent Deaths Need to Stop

by: adot

I was reading this article that one of my motivators gave to me called “My Son Doesn't Look Like Trayvon Martin,“ by Dan Cantor and he made some pretty good points. From the beginning he started to say: “A few weeks before the Trayvon was killed, Ramaley Graham was killed in the Bronx,” and this lit of a light in my head. I did hear about this.

Ramaley was killed and he was innocent and unarmed as well just like Trayvon. This made me stop and think. If young black teens are just getting killed for no reason, I think I should watch my back because just like the mega millions: Hey you never know. I know how the families of these teens are feeling because I know if I would be killed my friends and family would be devastated.

I couldn’t agree more with Dan Cantor. The idea of reforming Stop-And-Frisk is a great idea or at least be careful with it. I’ve been stopped by police over 20 times in my whole life, and im only 17 years old. Personally I think that the cops only stop Blacks and Latino people, and that's not right.

I also like that they created a group called the Workng Families Party to tell the truth about what's going on in this society that we live in today. We all deserve to know the truth about what is happening to these innocent kids and hopefully this can help get justice. These innocent deaths need to stop.

Citation
Cantor, D. (2012) My Son Doesn’t Look Like Trayvon. Working Families, [blog] 1 April, Available at: http://www.workingfamiliesparty.org/2012/04/my-son-doesnt-look-like-tray... [Accessed: 2 April 2012].

ADOT.

stephanieb's picture
Submitted by stephanieb on Tue, 2012-04-03 11:05.

I am pretty familiar with both of these stories and honestly this just shows how much more things like this are getting noticed. I think a lot of people ESPECIALLY us black and Latinos and making this come to light and making it a huge deal. i think it is about time people start to realize that this happens to us everyday, everywhere and that its not okay and something should be done. where im from people get pulled over by cops all the time for even the littlest things. I do not approve of the way things has been getting worst it makes me wonder why we have cops if they aren't protecting us more like harassing us.

Thanks for you comment. A lot

adot's picture
Submitted by adot on Tue, 2012-04-03 12:08.

Thanks for you comment. A lot of people see these innocent murders as being a mistake but we all know whats really going on, we wasn't born yesterday. Racism still in going on in the world and to change that we need everyone to be on the same page. You can't change the world unless we change ourselves first.

I agree!

Submitted by lifeinthe21 on Tue, 2012-04-03 16:23.

Aaron, I completely agree with you that innocent deaths need to stop. I also agree with you that african americans and latinos seem to be the people that get stopped by police more often then whites. We say that racism has gotten better then the time of Martin Luther King, but has it? While it is true that segregation is no longer prominent, biases still are. In the case of Trayvon Martin, he was just an innocent kid that due to another person's biases against him, got him killed. If Trayvon were white he would still be alive today. Yet this neighborhood watchman decided, falsely, that because Trayvon looked "up to no good" he needed to be shot, when he wasn't even armed. These deaths need to stop before more innocent lives are taken.

Thanks for your comment. I am

adot's picture
Submitted by adot on Wed, 2012-09-12 11:42.

Thanks for your comment. I am pleased to say that I am happy to see people interested in this topic. These innocent murders need to stop. This scares me because these are young black men getting killed for no reasons and I a young black man. I wouldn't want it to happened to me when I was just either walking from the store or walking into my house

I agree with this article

Submitted by JuliaPynes on Thu, 2012-09-13 10:49.

Adot-

As a caucausian teenage girl, i do not have personal experience with this topic, but I do agree that police should not stop people based on their race. It is sad that in 2012 racism is still such a prevelant issue, especially for young people. Both of these teenagers that were killed still had a full life ahead of them, and the only reason they are no longer alive is because of racial prejudice. I hope that in my generation we can stop making assumptions based on people's race. I look forward to reading more of your writing soon. 

Thanks, Julia