Inquiry Question- is intelligence hereditary?

by: robertg

In searching for information about whether or not intelligence was hereditary, and if so to what extent, I came across an article done by the Behavioral Neuroscience Web Ring of Macalester college. Here is what I learned:

• Research to determine whether intelligence was a hereditary trait, passed on by genes, has been done through family, adoption, and fraternal and identical twin studies. 

• -The motivation of studies involving fraternal twins is; if genetics didn't play a part, then fraternal twins, reared under the same conditions, would be alike by means of their intelligence and other traits, regardless of differences in their genes. But, while studies making use of IQ tests show they do more closely resemble each other than do non-twin brothers and sisters, they also show these same striking similarities when reared apart. This shows that genetics play a major role in human intelligence.
  • - Identical twins show a higher degree of correlation in their scores, even when they are reared apart. It can then be stated, therefore, that heredity has a great influence in the intelligence of a person

That is intersting, I tought

Submitted by rvlas on Wed, 2010-09-29 16:17.

That is intersting, I tought more that intelligence was based on how u grow up and what  events you go through and that makes you the person who you are. But i guess the genes play a major role too and influeces your development. And twing brothers should have the same IQ since they mostly go through the same everiday experiences and are i guess theyre identical genes play a part too. Maybe what makes a person smart or dum is what they go through and theyre genes aswell not only theyre genes.