Is it really racist?

Favorite authors

With the recent election of our first black President, Barack Obama, the "you're racist' card has come in to play. Many people who did not vote for Barack Obama are accused of being racist and scared of change. However, there are other reasons for people to not vote for someone. Some may have felt uneasy about his plans for the economy, and veterans may have questioned his plans for the military, and the wars we are engaged in with Iraq and Afghanistan.

I think it is an important time in this country's history to see a black man in the oval office, not only because of the history that was created with his election, but also because it proves a point. Barack Obama becoming President proves that race has nothing to do with intelligence levels or ability. Race has eveything to do with background and where you came from and how you were born. These points should never be forgotten, because if you abandon your roots, you have nowhere to turn to, nothing to claim as "your culture."

Will the election of Barack Obama be able to put an end to some of the racist ways of the American people?

I don't believe so because

Submitted by spriced564 on Fri, 2009-02-20 12:55.

I don't believe so because no matter what happens there will always be one person who doesn't like a certain type of people due to the fact there are people out there who are ignorant and could care less about other races and despise them.

Barack being black has

ssampsb791's picture
Submitted by ssampsb791 on Fri, 2009-02-20 12:58.

Barack being black has everything to do with why he won the election.  By praising Barack Obama for being the first african american president, you are showing personal favortism for him. There should be absolutely no other reason to elect someone into such a high ranked position other than their experience, judgment, and pass successes. I have seen nothing of the sort that would make me think "oh my god, this man needs to be president". By awarding him african american of the year, you are engaging in a form of racism not necessarily insulting, but damaging all the same. You're saying he can't get elected for any other reason, other than the color of his skin; racism.

That is a great comment and

sbenckm515's picture
Submitted by sbenckm515 on Fri, 2009-02-20 13:17.

That is a great comment and I agree 100%. Barack Obama won the Presidential race because of the color of his skin, and the charisma that he possesses. While it is important to be a charismatic President, charisma and skin color should not be your only qualifications.

i completely agree. obama

12chelpons's picture
Submitted by 12chelpons on Sat, 2009-02-21 13:20.

i completely agree. obama does not have enough experience or good policies to justify him being the leader of the free world. I think he won the election since so many young people voted for him and were excited by the fact that he was black and different. He has already proved that he is unable to run this country as efficiently as it should be run. Headlines already showed "I SCREWED UP" coming from him and he will be the downfall of this country. He is being glorified by the press and we have heard nothing of his flaws, only of his "stunning achievements" and his "heroic victory".

Then in your mind what are

slincom123's picture
Submitted by slincom123 on Fri, 2009-02-20 13:20.

Then in your mind what are the qualifications?

The President of the United

sbenckm515's picture
Submitted by sbenckm515 on Fri, 2009-02-20 13:28.

The President of the United States must be able to show many past sucesses, and a willingness to take a stand on issues important to the United States. He must be able to show leadership that will help carry the United States for the four years that he is in offive. He must also have integrity. If the President denies something that can be traced back to him undeniably, then he should not be President. We should be able to place the utmost amount of trust in our President, and if he denies what he did, he is not trustworthy.

Well to answer your

Submitted by jsmith on Wed, 2009-03-04 10:18.

Well to answer your question; whether people are against him or not or whether they are racist or not,he is the president now and we will just have to see how things turn out. Color is the last thing that should be on peoples minds when they think about Obama. We have so much else to worry about that to me, it seems impossible and surreal to judge him by his skin. It holds no value at all. No respect comes out of it. recently,there was a drop in the stock market "dow". The drop was extremely significant!! That kind of drop has not happened in 12 years. Another problem is foreclosure, basically we were giving people money but are they going to be able to pay it back? People who talk about race and color have no lives because they actually have the time. I watch the news everyday and even though there have been some problems so far with B.O. They are minute compared to some of the positives of his presidency. Even IF he wont just because he was black!! He is still doing a great job, hes working at an expedential rate. Unless you are a republican,you should not be against Obama. Almost all of our money is stuck up there with all those ostentatious arrogant pricks who have no idea what its like to work 12 hours a day to only get like what..a dollar? Yeah sometimes its that bad and what you have to realize is that people are getting more money then they deserve and this is where it is uneven.