It's a Start

On December 17, 2014 President Obama officially decided to reestablish the United States’ diplomatic relationship with Cuba. Mending our severed relationship will be very beneficial for Cuba, but, the decision is also self-serving for the United States.
Cuba is a major milestone. After we reestablish our relationship, the United States will not only have a better image to present to the world, but will also be able to create stronger relationships with Latin America as a whole. One country that our government wants to improve diplomatic relations is with Bolivia, and Cuba will make it easier for us.

Cuba is a country that in many ways is still stuck in the 1960’s. “With his December 17 announcement, President Obama began rewriting the official U.S. narrative about post-Revolutionary Cuba. The announcement transformed the official U.S. discourse on Cuba from a story that defined the country as a threat to U.S. security to one that portrays Cuba as a developing country in transition.” Mending this relationship will allow Cuba to evolve, and move up in the world, and become a trading partner to the United States, which will benefit both countries socioeconomically.

The U.S. Embargo on Cuba has been around since 1962, when President Kennedy signed the bill that cut all diplomatic ties between the two countries. Ending it would be a relief to the world. The United States is a world leader and promotes international law and the protection of human rights; however, by continuing to keep the Embargo in place we are violating Cuba’s sovereignty and imposing sanctions on them without their consent. “The embargo has been condemned as a violation of human rights by Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, and various bodies of the UN and the Organization of American States.”

Ending the Embargo and reestablishing our relationship with Cuba would allow the United States to follow and obey the laws that we have a tremendous amount of respect for. Until the Embargo is ended, we cannot call ourselves human rights activists.