Japan Needs Support

The news of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami on March 11 was devastating. It was the biggest earthquake in Japanese history and has been reported to be the 4th or 5th largest earthquake in recorded history. For a while, the event left Japanese people in the northeast without power and their only line of communication with the outside world being social media websites such as Twitter and Facebook. In one town alone there were thousands of people missing and the complete death toll is around 30,000 people.

With all this devastation already, it’s hard to think that Japan could go through any more. But according to the Wikipedia article 2011 Sendai Earthquake and Tsunami there have been over 300 aftershocks that have been high on the Richter scale as well.

Japan has a very good warning system when it comes to earthquakes. This is great because the country is right on a plate boundary. Those areas that are on or close to plate boundaries are more susceptible to more powerful earthquakes. Even though there is a system in place the tsunami came in so quickly that there wasn’t much time to react.

Recently in English, we’ve been studying the disaster in Japan. At first, I thought the Japan disaster was just that, a disaster. It is extremely unfortunate that this has happened to them, and I hoped for the best. When I read the Wikipedia article about the topic I started to think about how the aftermath of this event would turn out. I wondered about how bad the aftershocks could have been and how many people have been effected by this. After doing this study, the event is far worse that I could have ever thought.

It’s amazing how much damage can happen in such a short time. For example, in the CNN article “Anxiety in Japan Grows as Death Toll Steadily Climbs," they mentioned that in the few days after the earthquake, there are has be a scarcity of resources, there have been multiple aftershocks, and there are still thousands of people still left to be found with that number continuing to rise.

“The town of Minami Sanriku -- about 5 kilometers from the Pacific Ocean -- morphed into a massive pile of wood that used to house some 20,000 residents. An eerie silence fell across town as emergency rescue officials said they don't think anyone was still alive under the rubble."

About half of Minami Sanriku's population was unaccounted for. So far, about 15,000 people have been rescued, the Kyodo News Agency reported Monday, citing Kan.

"Japanese troops went door-to-door in the city of Ishinomaki, hoping to find survivors -- but found mostly the bodies of elderly residents. In the area of Sendai, where houses and buildings disintegrated into rushing water within seconds, solemn residents waited in lines that stretches blocks ore kilometers for food, water and gas. Despite the devastation surrounding them, the crowds appeared calm and orderly.”

The Japanese Times has also helped me to keep up with the current events in Japan. According to the article “Week 3: ‘Nothing Can Prepare You for This’” there is also talk of a lack of resources and how survivors of the tsunami are dealing with the aftermath.

“There is only one stretcher available, so the process is painfully slow. The bodies are trundled away one by one past forlorn racks of volleyballs and basketballs and a reception area for surviving family members of those killed who had been brought to a makeshift morgue in the large hall. Inside, around 200 bodies have been cleaned, identified and lined up in neat rows then covered from head to toe with crisp white sheets."

“As the body of one elderly man is lifted by GSDF members, whose job of searching for the thousands who perished in the March 11 mega-quake and tsunami must rank as one of the world's worst, a shoe falls, exposing a mud-caked woolly sock and a white, grimy ankle.”

There is no indication of the devastation ending anytime soon. There are still thousands missing and clean up will take much longer than some may have expected. Japan needs the support and funds from others to get it back on it’s feet so to speak. With the support of other countries, Japan will be able to get past this.

Help, Care, and Comfort for Japan

16rahmana's picture
Submitted by 16rahmana on Wed, 2011-05-04 19:41.

Japan has recently been hit with an earthquake. Along with the earthquake came a tsunami. Now Japan is in devestation. They need our support to rebuild. At the moment, I can't give anything to Japan. But I can give empathy to them. The effects of the tsunami had bad outcomes. The nuclear power plants had outbursted spreading radiation. Radiation had spread through the air created many illnesses for the citizens of Japan. And scientists now have found some sampales of radiation in the waters of the U.S. West Coast. So the Japan earthquake has been affecting the United States as well. And the worst thing about Japan is that it is painfully healing at the moment.You should also check out my respose about Japan. Here is the link: http://youthvoices.net/discussion/japans-air

This is a really good point

16chowdhurys's picture
Submitted by 16chowdhurys on Wed, 2011-05-04 21:09.

This is a really good point you are pointing out. The away the article is being described is really interesting and unique. You really discuss the idea you are focusing on and you are talking a lot about the events which is really good. You should really keep an update on what is going on in Japan and keep a post on what is happening. A lot of people want to know what is happening and the way people are writing express their ideas in different ways so based on your article, I think you really care about what happened to Japan and want to help out to Japan.