Joe brings something new: Reflections on Chapters 3 and 4 of Their Eyes Were Watching God

by: pdass

In many religions there are parents that decide their child’s future life partner mostly women's, the child has no say. it docent matter if you don't like the person you are about to marry. up till today many parents still do that, they may love there children's to death but parents would always want whats best for them and specially for women. Often parents think that where there is money, wealth there would be happiness and peace, when that is not fully true. where there is money there would always be a mistreatment involved.

In chapter four, Janie leaves Logan for Jody who is nicer, stylish, and has grand ambitions. No women would want to be someones slave for the rest of their lives, like she felt with Logan. Janie never liked Jody because they don’t treat each other with love. Janie is just there at his service. All Janie wants is to find her own identity, so she needs to move on in life and try some new ways to live life. Janie in my expectations did the right thing. It was either stay there and be Logan’s slave or be someone.

If I was Janie I would have done what she did because I wouldn't want to waste my entire life on a old guy who don't even love me, and orders me to do nature or wilderness chores. I would have done the same thing and experience more in life and find my true identity and have my own independence with equal rights.

"Do Janie waited a bloom time, and a green time and an orange time. but when the pollen again gilded the sun and sifted down on the world she began to stand round the gate and expect things. what things? she didn't know exactly. Her breath was gusty and short"

This was the last paragraph from chapter 3 where Janie is waiting at the gate for Jody to come and take her away. It made me think about her situation, its like a story where a young girl is waiting and thinking about what will happen next and the lover takes her away to his mansion.

Another quote that I thought was interesting was: ”Green Cove Springs, he told the driver. so they were married there before sundown, just like Joe had said. with new cloths of silk and wool.“

I thought this was interesting because Joe is fulfilling Janie’s dream and his promises and it’s cute how everything is going well as she was expecting.

Since Janie and Joe are having such a wonderful time being together, I think that there would be some type of misunderstanding and they will get in an argument, or they dreams will still be successful and they will be achieving more of their goals, and live happily ever after.