Just One Wish

by: 20tranj

Just One Wish is a short animation about a girl who wishes to be given privacy, and all her friends disappear. A creature appears to grant any other wishes, but the girl soon realizes how lonely she is without her friends. She wishes for her friends back, flaws and all.

ACT I

[Three people are standing in a field]

CELIA

Why did you have to tell my parents I wasn’t doing my homework? It’s none of your business!

BROOKE

We’re just trying to help, Celia! We’re a little worried about you!

NOLAN

And...well...it’s sort of your own fault for not doing it in the first place.

CELIA

[frowning]

I can’t believe you two! I wish you’d just give me some space and LEAVE ME ALONE!

[NOLAN and BROOKE disappear instantly.]

CELIA

What? W-what just happened? Hello?

[Goes to stage right--leaves.]

ACT II

[CELIA enters from stage left, into her house, to the middle of the stage.]

CELIA

[frowning]

Mom…? Dad…? Am I alone? [grins]

[A creature appears to the left of CELIA.]

CREATURE

Yes, you are!

CELIA

Who are you?

CREATURE

I am here to give you whatever you wish. Your first wish has been granted.

CELIA

Wow...to be all alone! I finally have some space! Nobody to bother me...nobody to lecture me...sweet! Take me to Broadway’s stage!

CREATURE

Let us teleport, then!

[The creature moves closer to CELIA, then both disappear.]

ACT III

[CREATURE and CELIA appear in the middle of the stage.]

CELIA

Wow! Okay...do you want to play hide and seek with me?

CREATURE

I am simply here to give you what you want. I cannot “play”.

CELIA

Oh…[frowns] Well...what can I do? Can I watch TV? Maybe a reality TV show?

CREATURE

I am sorry, you cannot. It interferes with your first wish. You cannot see any humans; they must give you space and leave you alone.

CELIA

But there’s nothing to do! Oh...how about...take me somewhere to eat! I’m hungry…

CREATURE

Of course!

[CREATURE moves to CELIA and they appear at a table with chairs]

CELIA

I...I don’t normally eat alone...will you sit with me?

CREATURE

I am merely here to give you what you want. I cannot “sit with you”, nor can I “eat”.

CELIA

Well...what do you think I should get?

CREATURE

It is all up to you. Anything you want.

CELIA

[frowns]

What will I do at school?! Who’s going to watch my favorite shows with me? Or check my study guides before a test?

CREATURE

You can do all those yourself.

CELIA

No! I-I want my friends back! I don’t want my first wish!

[CREATURE vanishes, while BROOKE and NOLAN appear]

CELIA

[smiles]

OMG, I missed you two!

NOLAN

Uh…

CELIA

You guys won’t believe what happened! Don’t ever leave; check my homework, tattle on me-wait, no, don’t do that-but you guys are my best friends!

BROOKE

Tell us what happened! And we’re sorry about your homework, we were just a little worried.

NOLAN

And...can we order something...I’m starving.

[The scene changes to the stage. Sprites appear (left to right) in order of: CREATURE, BROOKE, CELIA, and NOLAN as they speak.]

CREATURE

This is the end! Thank you for watching!

BROOKE

Hope you enjoyed it!

CELIA

Press the green flag to start again!

NOLAN

I’m still kind of hungry...

Developer’s Log; 3/11/15 9:50-10:15 at School

I completed steps 1-5, just like I had expected. I had a little trouble changing the sprites’ costumes, but I managed to duplicate and create a new costume like my script required. Everything went smoothly after that, and no changes were needed.

Developer’s Log; 3/13/15 9:30-10:16 at School

I completed steps 6-12, mostly like what I expected. I was a minute off, but I managed to complete the expected steps. It was more time-consuming than I had planned (I had expected to overestimate the time), because I needed to be able to have the sprites be visible and in the right position each time the green flag was pressed. Also, the costume changes took a long time because I had to draw out some of the costumes. Other than that, things went smoothly and I didn’t need to change anything.

Developer’s Log; 3/15/15 1:30-4:53 at Home

I completed all the steps, but I went over time by 13 minutes. This is because I did not put into thought that I would have to draw more costumes or go back and time everything, checking that all the lines were in the right place, etc. Everything went smoothly and nothing needed to change.