Karate Kid

by: Ipacheco

I was getting bullied at school, and coming home, crying to my mom.

She asked me, “What's wrong?”

I said, "I'm tired of them doing this to me."

My stepdad told me, "I have something for you, but you’ll get it tomorrow. It’s something awesome.”

I was excited and I told him it was okay.

The next day, my stepdad took me somewhere special.

I asked my parents, “Where are you taking me?”

They told me welcome to karate!

I didn't know what karate was, so I asked them, and they said it was to help me learn to fight and to gain confidence.We pulled up to the karate school and went inside.

I saw lots of kids doing karate. I wanted to start right away, but the instructor said i had to start the next day.

I said, “O.K,” and I was so happy!

Then the next day, we went back to the karate place. We went inside and I saw all of the kids from different backgrounds and races. They had black belts on. I was very surprised! They were very good at karate.

I also went inside the dojo and the master said, “Come,” and I went in.

I was so happy to compete against the other boys, but I was losing a lot of matches! Good thing this was when I was about six years old and I didn't know anything!

I kept practicing, and practice makes perfect! My three years of karate were amazing! I learned a lot on how to respect, listen, and be confident in yourself and others.

I wish I was in karate again. I would like to see my friends that were there with me. They might not be there because they're older now. Before I left karate, I earned a black belt and first degree.

The kids that bullied me are not picking on me anymore. I love karate so much.

In katate, I learned so much, including how to be a better person in life . I wish I was in karate again because I love to have fun! I learned a lot of self-discipline. I learned not to smoke, drink, and use drugs.

I will always be a karate kid!

I am "moved" by your story,

20leis's picture
Submitted by 20leis on Thu, 2015-04-23 13:03.

I am "moved" by your story, "Karate Kid," because it gave a lot of hope to people that are getting bullied. It taught them that self discipline can be achieved by believing.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "We went inside and I saw all of the kids from different backgrounds and races." I think this is very meaningful because it implied that other people may be facing the same problems as the narrator. This makes karate a great apparatus to develop self discipline.

Your image implies what I mentioned earlier about karate helping people of all races to develop self discipline. To elaborate, the person in the picture doesn't have a particular race which elicits people in races. The motion of kicking represents karate. Combining these two symbols represents the idea that karate is really crucial and beneficial.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write in your next story, because they teach great lessons!

Response

Submitted by 20panj on Thu, 2015-04-23 19:39.

Dear Isaiah,

Your story got me to look at karate in a entirely new perspective. When someone says "karate", the first things that pop to mind would probably just be "fighting". I really wouldn't think much of it. However, after reading about your experience with karate, I see how karate can actually help one build confidence and self-discipline. I never thought of karate that way, how it helps boost self-confidence for people who get bullied and also can make someone a better person in life.

I like how you ended with "I will always be a karate kid!" That line touches me and shows so much persistence; an attitude of not backing down or giving up. I could really relate to your experience, as I had the same excitement when I first started taking dance classes.

I really liked your story, and hope to see more of your posts!

Practice makes Perfect

20blanksonn's picture
Submitted by 20blanksonn on Sat, 2015-04-25 18:11.

In this story, you really showed how practice made perfect. You were being beat by the other kids, and were being bullied at school. You worked hard at Karate, and soon, people decided to stop bullying you, which shows a lot of improvement. My suggestion would be to elaborate on why you only did it for 3 years. Maybe you can say why, because it may leave people wondering. Otherwise that, it was a good story.