Keep Marijuana Illegal

by: Keilineo

Selling and using marijuana in public places should be considered illegal. One con is that people that are under age will smoke all the time and will be high in school. Another con is that people that dont smoke will end up smoking. In Jocelyn’s essay, “Keep Marijuana Illegal”. When we consider the issue of marijuana staying illegal, some might wonder selling and using marijuana in public places should be considered illegal. Jocelyn’s blog post addresses this question because everyone who is now drug free will probably start smoking the day it's all legalized. This is particularly troublesome because these newbs will start freaking out. School buses will be crashing left and right, companies will fold under a weight of too many sick days, and folks will stop taking themselves so seriously.This is basically saying marijuana shouldn't be legal because people and companies with go down. This might make someone wonder why smoke in the first place. All it does is make you high and act different. There’s nothing big about that. Life goes on if you don't do it and it makes you a better person at the end of the day. I’m pretty sure this is accurate because Jocelyn was a regular marijuana smoker. http://www.filthyrichmond.com/2009/04/keep-marijuana-illegal.html.
Another point Jocelyn makes in her blog post is Even if we can look past the threat to our adult population, we must consider the children. Once legally regulated, marijuana will be as hard for kids to buy as alcohol is now. So you've got to wonder about what they'll go for next. Freon huffing? Suppository abuse? Free-based jenkem? By the time we know what the next thing is they'll already be hooked! What we can appreciate about this writer’s work is they’re being honest. We can look forward to seeing what she writes next, because she has gone through it or has been an eyewitness.
My opponent’s argument is selling and using marijuana in public places should be considered legal. Her pros are if it was legal there would be less drug dealers in jail. Another pro is if it was legal the government would tax it and get more money. Her supporting ideas are Illegal drugs are normally made illegal for the fact that they cause many health risks to the user of that drug, and are therefore considered a threat to society as a whole. Using that logic alcohol and cigarettes should be considered illegal and have much harsher punishments than Marijuana. Marijuana is classified as a Schedule I drug, which is the same class as heroine and worse than PCP, but with few known health risks. “Marijuana does not cause brain damage, genetic damage, or damage the immune system.” Also, unlike other drugs Marijuana has other alternatives to inhaling smoke, which reduces health risks even further. Marijuana can be ingested in baked food, having no known health risks. Finally, there has never been a recorded death from Marijuana alone. There are a lot of myths that circulate everyday about Marijuana. These myths are generally incorrect and can be written off by the true facts of Marijuana. The biggest of these myths is the “Gateway Drug Theory”. Every day in health classes across the country children are led to believe that Marijuana use leads to the use of more harmful drugs. “The U.S. government's own statistics show that over 75 percent of all Americans who use marijuana never use harder drugs.” More heroin and cocaine addicts started out drinking alcohol than smoking marijuana, so by that logic alcohol is more of a gateway drug than weed. On that note, is marijuana can be considered a gateway drug that would only be because of the prohibition of marijuana. As stated in The Official High Times Pot Smoker’s Handbook “It’s marijuana prohibition that exposes pot smokers to the wider black market and its other illicit offerings.” If marijuana wasn’t illegal then people, mostly young adults, would not be exposed to drug dealers who possess harder drugs to pass onto these customers looking to buy marijuana.

Hard to keep illegal

eric_yu2001's picture
Submitted by eric_yu2001 on Thu, 2016-04-28 19:43.

Marijuana is a very addicting drug, but keep in mind it has a huge use in medical care. Marijuana has the ability to cure some diseases that other medicines can not, so I think that Marijuana should be legal, only under medical uses. To do that, I think we should strengthen security of passing out prescription drugs, to help enforce stronger laws to prohibit illegal trade of marijuana.