To Kill A Mockingbird

by: Jada

The most important theme in To Kill A Mockingbird is racism. During the Depression era, blacks were still highly subjugated members of society. Blacks were not permitted to join the whites in public settings, as displayed in the courthouse physical separation of races and in the clearly distinct black and white areas of town.

Throughout the novel, Scout explores the differences between black people and white people. She and Jem attend church with Calpurnia and Scout truly enjoys the experience. Afterwards, she asks Calpurnia if she might be able to visit her house sometime. Calpurnia agrees, but the visit is never made, mostly because Aunt Alexandra puts a stop to it. Jem, Scout and Dill sat with the black citizens of town in the balcony of the courthouse to observe the trial.

Tom Robinson is convicted entirely because he is a black man and his accuser is a white woman. The evidence is so powerfully in his favor, that race is clearly the explaining factor in the jury's decision. Atticus fights against racism, and a few other townspeople are on his side, including Miss Maudie and Judge Taylor. When Atticus loses the trial, he tries to make his children understand that although he lost, he did help move along the cause of ending racism.

My argument about this book is that blacks and whites shouldn't discriminate each other because at the end of the day their all the same. It was wrong how the whole neighborhood discriminated Mr.Robinson because he married a black women and had mixed children. Mr.Robinson makes it seem like he’s always drunk because he always carries a paper bag with him, but no one knows that its not alcohol in the bag its really Coca-Cola. Mr. Robinson doesn't want the whole town to know that he really loves his wife even if she has black.

Great analysis of racism in

eva.s's picture
Submitted by eva.s on Wed, 2015-01-14 14:23.

Great analysis of racism in the book! I think another theme that really ties into this is acceptance, and how often racism and pre-formed opinions can keep people from seeing who someone really is. Also, I think it is Mr. Dolphus Raymond who drinks from the paper bag, not Mr. Robinson. I would argue that he pretends to be a drinker not because he is ashamed to love black women, but because it makes it easier for the townsfolk to accept that he loves her. It allows them to assume that he does so only because he is always drunk. Great points, though! I hope you enjoyed the book as much as I did.

TKAM

Lolo060500's picture
Submitted by Lolo060500 on Wed, 2015-01-14 15:57.

I believe this book was very interesting and is a great example to show how racism is in the court system.Today this topic is still widespread and I think that this is a book that gives you a hint to what is happening in the world today.