To kill a mockingbird

by: kimberly

I struggled a little to understand in the beginning, but I found To Kill a Mockingbird really interesting while the story goes on. The important theme is racism, and I liked how each character has all different background and personality.

Also this book is all Scout's (the main character) point of view and I loved it. Scout is a tomboy about 8 years old. By a little girl's point of view the trial of Tom Robinson seemed unfair. Tom Robinson is African-American man who worked for Mayella Ewell, Bob Ewell's daughter. Mayella loved Tom and Bob Ewell puts him on a trial. Even though Tom was innocent, people found him guilty. This shows the racism in America during 1930s. I think Tom Robinson's trial was the main part of the book.

There are some other stories that goes with it too. For example, this book has lots of information about their neighborhood. Especially about Boo Radley, who don’t come out of his house, he was a scary person to Jem (Scout’s brother) and Scout. He was also an interesting character to me throughout the book. At the end I found out that he was watching Jem and Scout for whole time and caring about them. In the middle of the book there was a quote:

“Remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.” That was the only time I ever heard Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it.

“Your father’s right,” she said. “Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy . . . but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

I figured out that the mockingbird refers to Boo Radley. This gave me the lesson about racism that You shouldn’t judge other people by what you see outside not inside.

The author, Harper Lee, tells a lot about racism in this book. Racism against poor, African-American, and appearance. I heard that Harper Lee only wrote one book in her entire life and it’s to kill a mockingbird. I thought that she wanted to write about how racism was in 1930s so bad that she wrote this book and accomplished her goal. This was an important topic to talk about with people. The book also gives us many lessons about racism too. If I have friends looking for a book to read, I will strongly recommend this book to them. You should read this book at least once in your life.

Kimberly, I just finished

Submitted by SarahLW05 on Wed, 2015-01-14 09:54.

Kimberly,
I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird and I also enjoyed it. I like how you compared the Mockingbird to Boo Radley, I had never made that assumption. I had just assumed that it was about the racism occurring in the book, but your point about how there was prejudice against him as well makes sense. You can see directly that Tom Robinson is the mockingbird, the more obscure point is that it could be Boo Radley.
-Sarah

To kill a Mockingbird

Submitted by zepfn18 on Wed, 2015-01-14 09:54.

I like the way you interpreted the story and your summary is very detailed. However, you jump around a lot going from talking about various parts in the book. I like the quote and think it was a huge part of the theme in the book nice choice there. Racism was also a big point which you covered that nicely. Overall good job hopefully you had a good time reading To kill a Mockingbird.

I agree completely about your

Submitted by alexisnikoloff on Wed, 2015-01-14 09:59.

I agree completely about your thought that the beginning was a little confusing but it became much easier to understand when you continue to read! Your thoughts on racism are very interesting. It's incredible that there was ever a time that we tortured people because of their appearance and skin tone. I enjoyed that you incorporated some of the quotes that foreshadowed the meaning of "mockingbird." The more I read on the more I understood the meaning. What did you think about the ending and the way they introduced Boo Radley?

I like what you wrote about

Submitted by cottrellibird on Wed, 2015-01-14 10:01.

I like what you wrote about the book, and I think what you said about the mockingbird could be a bit more broad. Instead of just Boo Radley, there's a possibility that the meaning of the mockingbird could be widened to society. That anyone can do what they love (the mockingbird singing to us) and shouldn't be stopped because of what they strive to do (sing). People can be who they want to, and whether it's for the better or worse, they are at least going to try and live a happy life. Of course, unless someone doesn't like it.

comment

Submitted by pemblej17 on Wed, 2015-01-14 12:39.

Nice thoughts, kimberly. I have to say I also struggled reading parts of the book, but not because of lack of comprehension, but because of my lack of interest. I thought having the book told from Scout's point of view was clever, because it made certain themes explored in the book, such as racism, more obvious, which can help readers. I found it slightly annoying at times as well, because Scout was unaware of certain topics I am already familiar with. I also have to disagree with you on who the mockingbird in this book is supposed to be; I thought the mockingbird was Tom Robinson. As you discuss already, the lesson of racism is taught in this book, which supports the mockingbird being Tom. In addition, Atticus says that it "is a sin to kill a mockingbird," and as Tom is facing a possible death sentence, it is especially fitting.

I really liked how you

Submitted by naomis18 on Wed, 2015-01-14 19:23.

I really liked how you compared the mockingbird to Boo Radley. When I thought about, I compared it to Tom Robinson and his innocence, but I like your ideas about how he was always in his house and watching, and caring shows that he was an innocent man doing nothing but good, like your quote said. I also liked the ideas in your last paragraph, about this book being Lee's only book and that she accomplished a way to get a message about racism out to the world. I thought it was interesting how she only wrote one book to get this message across, rather than writing a couple, maybe incorporated into different genres to get more readers. Do you think she would have written more books if this book wasn't a best seller?

comment on TKAM

Submitted by chanheejoy on Wed, 2015-01-14 21:14.

Kimberly, I completely agree with you on that this book teach us about racism and how we shouldn't judge people only by looking at their outside. I think racism and the time period (1930s) impacts the book a lot. For example, even though Tom Robinson was innocent, people still found him guilty, and I think this is totally unfair. Moreover, Boo Radley was a mysterious character I wanted to learn more about too. I also love how you pulled out couple of interesting quotes from the book to support your booktalk. These quotes really tells us about the Mockingbirds, but I think the mockingbird could be other people than Boo Radley. For example, it could be either Jem, Tom Robinson, Dill, or Mr. Raymond because the word "Mockingbird" represent the innocence destroyed by evil. Overall, I really like your overall idea on To Kill A Mockingbird. Did you enjoy this book?
Nice effort Kimberly!

To Kill a Mockingbird

Submitted by Jacobi37 on Wed, 2015-01-14 21:30.

I just finished reading this book and I also thought that racism was a big issue. Scout and Jem go through a lot and nearly all of their issues can be traced back to something about racism. Like you, I thought the beginning was a bit slow, but I think that about a lot of books. When I asked my dad about this book he said the main thing that he remembers is Boo Radley. That kind of tells me that when people read this, the will remember Boo Radley and what he stands for. Good description of the story. I also thought it was a great book

Kimberly, I really liked your

Submitted by GatorsEZ929 on Wed, 2015-01-14 21:38.

Kimberly,
I really liked your reflection on To Kill a Mockingbird. It was very detailed and it told the reader how you exactly felt about the book. I also liked how you mentioned the theme of the book and gave specific examples to support it. I also completely agree with you that the book teaches the reader about racism. Since this book was taken place in the 1930s, there were still a lot of racism going around the country including Maycomb,Alabama. An example of this was the Tom Robinson trial. Tom Robinson was easily not guilty and had evidence to prove it but the jury still convicted him guilty because of his skin color. I could not imagine what Tom Robinson would be feeling like at that exact moment. In conclusion, I think you did a wonderful job reviewing To Kill a Mockingbird and I hope you enjoyed reading this fantastic book!

To Kill a Mockingbird is one

Submitted by cpribble on Fri, 2015-02-27 21:42.

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of very favorite books so I'm excited to see that you have read it too! There are so many amazing components in this book, from youthfulness to racism to dealing with change. I still find myself thinking about how much this book taught me. I do not know if you have heard, but Harper Lee is coming out with a second book this summer, fifty five years after To Kill a Mockingbird was released.(http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/feb/03/harper-lee-new-novel-to-kil...) It ends up she wrote the sequel before she wrote To Kill a Mockingbird, yet the second book is based twenty years later from the time written about in To Kill a Mockingbird. My favorite quote from her book is ..."Atticus, he was real nice..." "Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them." I agree that everyone should read this book once in their life, to teach them lessons that they can't find anywhere else but in Lee's words.