Killed For Blogging

Avijit Roy, a blogger on "Mukto Mono" was killed last Thursday for voicing his beliefs on his blog. Avijit is from the mainly Islamic region Bangladesh and in his blog writings he yearned for "reason and humanism guided by science" and openly criticized religion. For doing so Extremists back home constantly sent him death threats and even told him that if he ever came back to Bangladesh from America, he would be killed. After leaving Atalanta, Avijit arrived in Dhaka, Bangladesh where he spoke about his latest book "The Virus Of Faith". On his way back from the fair, extremists possibly of the "Ansar Bangla-7" Islamic group attacked Avijit and his wife with Machetes and knives, killing Avijit but leaving his wife alive. No bystanders tried to stop the attack. This reminds me of theme of revenge in "The Tempest" by William Shakespeare.
Although now dead Avijit Roy's voice still goes on. After founding the religion critical blog Mukto Mono he congregated a vass multitude of writers and free-thinkers who also wrote about religion and their views on the blog. Many who felt oppressed by religion said Avijit spoke for them. Avijit's view of his blog was to promote science, secular philosophy, democracy and religious tolerance in articles by academics and activists.
It is sad that people are killed throughout the world just because of their views on religion. Some day this will most likely change but this is just an example of it happening today.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/28/asia/bangladeshi-american-blogger-dead/ind...

It absolutely boggles my mind

landayc18's picture
Submitted by landayc18 on Fri, 2015-03-13 12:22.

It absolutely boggles my mind that these people consider murder for heresy. This is not some one-off deal in Bangladesh, this is prevalent in most every country with a heavy focus on religion. In these countries, life is literally trapped in the dark ages. Radicals and corrupt god-king monarchs rule their country with an ultra-orthodox agenda. ISIS is a by-product of these multibillionaire monarchs exporting their radical beliefs. The 9/11 terrorist attack was a result of these radicals.
The worst part is that these murderers believe that they will enjoy their eternal paradise when they die, and that Avijit will burn forever. It's agonizing to think about these attacks and the reasons behind them.

Dear JackSwillinger, I am

Submitted by mholcomb on Mon, 2015-03-16 12:37.

Dear JackSwillinger,

I am intrigued by your post “Killed for Blogging” because of the importance you see in the fact that someone was killed unfairly. I agree that it is sad that people are killed daily because of religion, and personally wish that this will stop soon. I hope that these murderers are constantly reminded of their sin, and in return help someone out in return for their horrid deed.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “No bystanders tried to stop the attack.” This goes to show that people are afraid of standing up for others, providing open ground for these “terrorists” of sorts to attack the innocent that believe in something else.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you do a good job painting a picture of what you are talking about. Next time you post something I hope I will find it and be able to read it.

Killed for Blogging

Submitted by dbarreiro on Wed, 2015-03-18 14:22.

Dear JackSwillinger:
I am shocked about your post, “Killed For Blogging” because it just boggles my mind that these people killed this man for blogging. These people take their religion way to serious, they are literally radials, but what is sad is that this stuff doesn’t just happen in Bangladesh, it happens in mostly every country that have these kind of religions, I really don’t get why they take it so seriously.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Islamic group attacked Avijit and wife with machetes and knives”, this sentence looks brutal to me.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I really like what you write about.

Dear JackSwillinger, I am

Submitted by kvalencia on Thu, 2015-03-19 12:26.

Dear JackSwillinger,
I am shocked with your post “Killed For Blogging” because It, isn't right. Killing someone unfairly.. It makes me sad that people kill other innocent people just for what religion they are. I hope these murderers are going to figure out what they did is wrong and they will turn themselves in and pay for what they did.

One sentence that you wrote “that stands out for me is view of his blog was to promote science, secular philosophy, democracy and religious tolerance in articles by academics and activists.
It is sad that people are killed throughout the world just because of their views on religion. Some day this will most likely change but this is just an example of it happening today.” I think these words you said were inspiring because this is what i was thinking. Some day this will change. This world will be amazing that nobody will ever get killed just because of your religion and even less likely for blogging :)

Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your word are so inspiring and wonderful that i like reading your posts because I can relate on what you say and what i think about what's going on…

This is hard for me

Submitted by UnserH on Fri, 2015-03-13 09:36.

Being part of a particularly contentious faith, at least one that is the topic of very heated debate, it makes me a little irritated when people of the same faith go around, committing acts such as this. I'm not entirely religious, so it may make it easier for me to realize and disagree with their actions. The bystanders didn't do anything to help, which is extremely strange as well, unless that was a common occurrence and they didn't want the same to happen to him. It is good, that his legacy and his writing, though causing others to come after him, inspired others to speak up against the wrongs of religions, and show that not everyone of a faith thinks and acts the same, and do not all share the same sentiments.