King From a Faraway Land

I created the Scratch animation “The King from a Faraway Land” as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story in which a character has to make a decision based on he situation placed in. A fable is an example of a ethical story. In the story the character is given a chance to make the right decision or the wrong decision. Usually in stories that make the character make the wrong decision, the character gets caught later on showing the reader that the right decision is the safest way to go.

My story is about a boy who’s parents are planning a event that they will host for the king of a faraway land. The boy is told time and time again to stay home and to not follow his parents to wherever they go. They want to make it a surprise to him. However after a month or so of his parents going, they suddenly began to stay for longer periods of time. Sometimes for even a couple of days. At this point the boy thinks that enough is enough and he has to decide whether to let the whole thing roll out and be patient or to go follow his parents going not only against their word but against his own words.

My story was inspired by the fact that many kids are not patient and they get greedy. I think that it is a good habit to be patient. Also I think that it is smarter to listen to your parents than not. That is because as a child you don’t really have that much experience in the world as your parents do. Therefore you should listen to their advice. I think that they would try to give you good advice. In my story a similar situation is played out. If the user is patient then he would learn a good habit and eventually learn what had led his parents to go out so many times however if he is impatient and follows his parents he would get in trouble by the guards who are guarding the entire perimeter of the gates leading to the building were the event would take place. Also he would lose the trust of his parents.

I think I was partly unsuccessful in creating my story because I wasn’t able to get all my scenes to change and coordinate properly. Therefore my story is not interactive with the user. The scene at the end were the user is supposed to choose what to do does not work properly which partly makes the story incomplete. I think that I would have been fully successful if I was able to fix this one problem.

its good but you need to

16koutsoulidakiss's picture
Submitted by 16koutsoulidakiss on Thu, 2012-01-05 16:36.

its good but you need to change the locations of the sprites they get in the way of the dialogue and you should make the red and blue squares disapear

Your Project

16chowdhurys's picture
Submitted by 16chowdhurys on Thu, 2012-01-05 19:11.

I think that you're story was overall really good. I advise you to move the mom and dad in the story. Some parts I couldn't read the dialogue since they were blocking each other. Also when you get to choose a red or blue block, after you choose they don't disappear. You should fix that so you could read the ending.

Your Project

16hoques's picture
Submitted by 16hoques on Thu, 2012-01-05 22:34.

I liked the outcome of the story if you were good.
I was confused by the fact that some dialogues were very short while the others were very long. Also the red and the blue blocks didn't disappear after you pressed it.
The ethical dilemma in your story I understood the choices clearly. The bad choice was tempting because I wanted to see what would have happened. The mechanism for the choices were kind of confusing because after you choose your path the squares don't go away.