KONY 2012 - The Hype, The Technology and The Success

by: type

External video: 

See video

I'm hoping that you, the reader, are one of 43,354,020 people who has seen this video and therefore know what I am referring to. If not, here's a quick summary.

Joseph Kony, A Ugandan warlord, has raised an army for decades in Uganda and other parts of central Africa. As the leader, he gathers rebels and kidnaps children in nearby villages as a way of populating his force. He and his various helpers kidnap, rape and murder people for the sake of gaining power, power for no discernible reason and with no clear result except to gain more power. An independent activist group created "Invisible Children" to push back the murderous forces of Joseph Kony and Kony himself.

Recently, Invisible Children initiated a sort of ultimatum. On March 5, 2012, Invisible Children released a video outlining their plan for 2012. The video, now viewed by over 43 million people, holds a message of power and teamwork, and it encourages, supports and inspires people to spread the word about Kony and his regime. The idea is that if enough people are protesting the world's government's lack of action, we will force those world powers to solve the problem: catch Kony and stop his forces. Within three days of video's release, the Internet bled with Kony's name and links to the video.

Now that you're caught up, I move on to my point.

Inspiration is as contagious as any virus, and ideas are infectious. I don't mean to sound like I'm quoting "Inception," but I find it so fascinating that within weeks of an idea's conception, people splatter it all over the Internet with millions of hungry eyes feasting. But what's great about this instance is that it is something good. People complain about the Internet. Teacher's complain about Wikipedia, politicians complain about hype and teenagers complain that it's not fast enough. But when the force of forty million teenagers thumping away at a keyboard leads to the possibility of the capture of a Ugandan warlord, I think that says something about technology. Even if Kony isn't captured, which could happen, at least now the world knows that an expansive platform for spreading ideas truly does exist. Now, we can use the internet to improve the human condition even more than thought before.

One other thing I find so energizing about this whole hype is that this uprising is mostly communicated and inspired by people under the age of thirty. I have heard my fair share of adults complaining about teenagers and how young people are lazy, unintelligent and lackadaisical people, but when the youth of our world form together to take down one of the worst criminals, those old people who dislike the way we work will understand that we are simply taking a new approach to old problems. We're adapting to our environment. It's like our train is finally moving, and after sitting silent and still on the tracks for so long, we've begun hurdling toward success in our own way. I could get into a whole different topic now, but I'll refrain.

To sum up. I am so proud of my generation, and what we've discovered we can do. And I'm proud of the Internet. It finally has a redeeming quality that we can use as a support for our next opinion paper in support of the Internet. I'm not taking credit for my generation, or for the Internet, but the last few days has truly changed my opinion of both.

Down with Kony.

I am a supporter

Submitted by d.gaztambide on Sat, 2012-03-10 08:39.

On March 5, 2012 the charity organization Invisible Children released a thirty-minute video that started their campaign to make Joseph Kony famous, not to celebrate him, but to show the world his horrific war crimes and crimes on humanity.

Joseph Kony is the leader of the Lord's Resistance Army in Northern Uganda and he is guilty of abducting children from their villages, forcing them to kill their parents and mutilate the faces of their victims. He turns the boys into child soldiers and the girls into sex slaves.

The video has received over 57 million hits in just four days and has come to national attention. Some criticize the video for exaggerating the strength of Kony's Army. Even if the filmmakers did this, I think these criticisms is not relevant. Joseph Kony is number one on the list of the International War Crimes Committee most wanted people. Because of Invisible Children's impact, last year Obama sent advisory troops to Uganda to help them capture and try Joseph Kony for his crimes.

Despite what critics say, Invisible Children is not supporting the Ugandan army which were corrupt in many circumstances. All they want is to arrest Joseph Kony and they worry that Obama will pull out the advisory troops unless the people of America can make it be known that they want Kony brought to justice. Even if critics are right that Kony is on his last legs, this man is still out there and he needs to be punished for his horrific crimes spanning over the past 26 years.

I am a supporter of this cause because I think that, as human beings, we have an obligation to act. This has gone on too long. An idea is extremely powerful and I applaud Invisible Children for understanding that everyday people like us really can make an impact.

www.kony2012.com/

From the Youth Voices Twitter feed

Submitted by paulallison on Sat, 2012-03-10 09:56.

@youthvoices KONY 2012 #StopAtNothin youtu.be/N5ih_Axll7Y please #RETWEET people!!!!! MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Dear type, I really enjoyed

Submitted by harniy on Sat, 2012-03-10 18:37.

Dear Tyler,

I really enjoyed reading your post. Your post,”KONY 2012 - The Hype, The Technology and The Success”, was really meaningful and somewhat motivational for me. Our generation has truly proven itself through this. One sentence that you wrote that stood out for me was,”One other thing I find so energizing about this whole hype is that this uprising is mostly communicated and inspired by people under the age of thirty.” This stood out for me because this would really change the perspective of younger people to the adults. If thousands of young people could join together and cause this much of an uproar for a worthy cause, then I think our generation is changing in a good way. The Internet can either be a negative place, or a very positive place, but when teens use it to their advantage to spread the word about someone like KONY, who should be stopped, it definitely becomes a very positive place.

Another sentence that I found interesting was, “Even if Kony isn’t captured, which could happen, at least now the world knows that an expansive platform for spreading ideas truly does exist.” This stood out for me, because I could not agree more. If Kony isn’t captured, which I pray won’t be the case, there are ways to spread ideas. We have seen the power of the Internet, and it’s users when it comes to a good cause. Just to add, I really feel that Kony should be captured. Of all the criminals I’ve ever heard of, he is by far the worst. This is why I hope that young people continue to use the Internet to their advantage to stop this terrible man.

Your post reminded me of what I did when I first watched the,”KONY 2012” video. In the days before I watched the video, I had no idea who Kony was. When it began to show up all over my news feed on Facebook, I decided to look into it further. When I watched the video, I was more angered than I was saddened. All I wanted to do was spread the word about about Kony, or “make him famous”, as stated in the video. I felt like my reaction would be the reaction of many others, and indeed it was. I felt that this man really needed to be stopped. When one of my Facebook friends would ask, who Kony was, it upset me in a way. This is the reason that people did not know about him in the past, and its also where the younger people along with the Internet come in. We have the power to inform people by sharing the video and putting it on our Facebook statuses for example.

Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you may write next. What would bring me back is your writing style. You are are not afraid to express yourself when it comes to the topic that you are discussing. What would also bring me back is the way the use complex vocabulary to make your point. I truly pray that Kony will be captured, and that we’ll have our generation to thank.

Kony must be stopped.

Submitted by rivoma on Sun, 2012-03-11 12:32.

Dear Tyler,

I really liked your post “Kony 2012” because its a recent topic that everyone is worried about. I liked your post because Kony is a man that should be stopped. One sentence that stood out to me was “The idea is that if enough people are protesting the world's government's lack of action, we will force those world powers to solve the problem: catch Kony and stop his forces.The reason that the government is not getting involved is because it is not going to help them economically. They only get involved for their own reason.

Another sentence that stood out to me was “One other thing I find so energizing about this whole hype is that this uprising is mostly communicated and inspired by people under the age of thirty.” I find it energizing too because the youth doesn’t tend to care about situations like these. I think maybe because it deals with people that are their age maybe they care a little bit more.

Your post reminds me of all the hype about the man in my school. Every body in my school are against him and feel like they should help the kids in Africa. In my school there are many supporters.

I hope that you make more posts about modern events, because they are always interesting.

The message seems clear to me.

Submitted by alex.clark. on Sun, 2012-03-11 19:36.

Dear Tyler,

Awareness. This one word is the center of Invisible Children’s 2012 campaign to stop Joseph Kony and his militia of child soldiers in Uganda, Africa. Invisible Children would like to make us AWARE of many things, most importantly and most recently they launched the “Cover the Night” campaign to make every single person in America aware of Joseph Kony and his child soldiers.

I have been a supporter of Invisible Children since I was first exposed to their agency in 2008 as a Freshman at Judge Memorial Catholic High School in Salt Lake City Utah. Their message seemed very clear, and with all their enthusiastic speakers and touching videos, I was instantly entertained and reeled onto the “Stop Kony” bandwagon. Every year since then I have attended the assemblies hosted by Invisible Children and I have supported them 100%, with the belief that someday their message would reach our government and their dreams to stop Kony would come true. Recently however, I have become worried about the Kony 2012 campaign that has seized facebook and twitter, as well as the lunch room conversation.

America has always been the “mediator” for every nation’s problems: All European nations are fighting, in swoops Americans to tip the scale to one side. Vietnam has a problem, in swoops the Americans to try to save the day! Iraq’s people aren’t satisfied with their government, in swoops America to capture the corrupt leader. And now Uganda. According to history America should be frothing at the mouth to swoop in and fix the problem; my question is how long will we support America in Africa? Because if I recall correctly, awareness is what lead us into Vietnam, into Iraq and what might be leading us into Africa. There is one vital fact that the Kony campaign of 2012 has seemed to skip over in all their advertisements and viral videos; and that is the fact that Kony has lived under the radar for 30 years, and although we are ‘AMERICA’ and we have fantastic technology and the desire to hunt him down, doesn’t mean that we will.

In the end, what America wants isn’t Kony, what America wants is a success story. We want to be the hero, we want to be the ones to bring Kony to justice and set his child soldiers free. But what is just as likely is the possibility of another Osama Bin Laden incident. You know the one I’m talking about, that one time when we invaded Afghanistan then couldn’t find him for 10 years, and during those 10 years everybody started to hate the president and didn’t support the troops anymore. Ya that thing, I’m not sure we should do that again; mostly because we are still trying to dig ourselves out of that hole.

So what’s the take away? Well first off let me start by saying this: Although I have seen the darker side of Invisible Children (like the fact that only 37% of total revenue went directly to African Aid), I still support them, because they are fighting for a good cause. They want to help people who cannot help themselves. Secondly, I have watched the viral video, as well as many others, and I am planning on attending “Cover the Night” in Salt Lake City. But, lastly my third and most important point, support to find Kony is different 2-3 years down the road, not to mention 10 (Iraq). Making 10-17 year olds aware of Joseph Kony is a smart advertisement move. But when it comes down to it most kids are not able to comprehend the side effects of storming an African country to find a notoriously “invisible” warlord.

It seems great on paper, the idea of capturing someone who abuses kids in Uganda, but the reality is there is so much more that goes into a decision to invade a country. Thinking back into history, the majority of Americans supported the decision to invade Afghanistan, as well as our involvement in Vietnam. But what we seem to forget when supporting Kony 2012 is how people feel about those decisions now. They regret them. The reality is Kony is just as slippery as Bin Laden, and we barely caught him, 10 years after we became aware of him. If you are going to support America’s involvement in Kony 2012, you better be supporting it in 2022.

Kony 2012: My Two Cents

Submitted by cgruis8 on Sun, 2012-03-11 20:45.

Dear Tyler,

By now, I'm sure almost everyone in the world has seen the famous Youtube video about Kony 2012, saving the Ugandan children, and dismembering the LRA. If you're not one of the 72 million people who has already clicked on the link, here it is below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

This is my take and my opinion on the whole video and situation.

Number one, Joseph Kony has been an issue in Uganda for the past 26 years. Why is it that now, all of the sudden, people want to jump on the bandwagon and do something about it? It just goes to show how large of an influence the media has on us. Now, 72 million people, half of which might not have known that Uganda even existed until they watched the video, are willing to support the cause and participate in the "Cover the Night" event in the city nearest them.

Number two, check your facts. I don't know enough about the Invisible Children organization to say what's true or not true about them, but I think that people should get all the facts and as much information as possible about the situation before supporting it. You can't just watch one video and then decide everything in it is 100% true and that's all there is to the story. It's like writing a research paper and only having one source to support it at the very end. It just doesn't work.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kony 2012 is a good cause and has good intentions to stop a terrible person. But I'm definitely going to read up more on it before I decide to fully support it.

Take a stand on Kony 2012!

Submitted by concha on Sun, 2012-03-11 21:29.

Dear Tyler,

Something that I am interested in learning more about is KONY 2012. I remember talking about it in class, but we didn’t talk about it as much because we had to get back to work. Lately, the issue has caught my eye again. I know that people may feel that abusing little kids is wrong. From what I have heard, everyone is trying to stop Joseph Kony from taking African children for the wrong reasons. For example, I heard that he was taking kids from Africa and making the girls into sex slaves and made the boys rearrange people’s faces. Now that's just what I've heard, it may or may not be true.

One thing that I know about KONY 2012 is that a guy is trying to get enough people to support him, so he can get Joseph Kony arrested. Now, I've studied my share of history, and this really caught my attention and I really want to help catch this guy, so he can stop what he’s doing to innocent children. Personally, It's funny to me how Joseph Kony has been doing this for 26 years and now Invisible Children has brought his crimes to everyone's attention.

KONY 2012 is important because these are innocent children who are suffering and taken advantage of. I don’t know why anyone would want to hurt such innocent children without having any feelings. I wonder why did he chose to do what he is doing now? Was he treated that way? Does he like seeing kids suffer? What went through his head when he decided to make girls sex slaves and train boys for military and rearranging faces? This just isn’t right and we need to speak up about this argument as soon as possible. Imagine if one of those children were you, wouldn’t you want someone to help you?

Being that I didn't have a lot of background information on KONY 2012, I chose to do some research on the topic. As I searched for blogs and news articles on Google, I came across this one article: Kony 2012: Why I’m Opposed To The Campaign

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/life/kony-2012-why-im-opposed-to-the-campaign/

This article provided a lot of information and opinions on KONY 2012. Some people felt that KONY 2012 were just a way to get people’s money. People also felt that no one should support KONY because they are supporting the Ugandan military. The issue with taking out a man who uses a child army is that his bodyguards are children. Any effort to capture or kill him will almost certainly result in many children’s deaths. This statement really surprised me a lot, because if people try to attack they would be killing innocent kids and not a real military. This is just sad how Joseph Kony is using little boys for his own protection.

In another article:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46680620/ns/today-today_people/t/maker-kon

there was this one statement that made me nod my head with the writer. It was: he viral video has received support on Twitter from celebrities like Oprah Winfrey, Rihanna and Justin Bieber, who combined have more than 40 million followers. This is good because if celebrities post something this serious, their fans would be aware of what’s going on.

All of this makes me wonder why do people disagree with the KONY situation? How can someone be so heartless? These are innocent children being treated like they aren’t worth anything. Help get this guy arrested or killed. We don’t need cruel people like him in this world. Take a stand.

Jmelo's song about Kony

Submitted by ruthv on Mon, 2012-03-12 11:13.

Go check out the song my friend Jmelo recorded about KONY 2012. I put the video up on our website, and he watched it on Friday night. I didn't go home until 3:00 AM. I fell asleep, but when I woke up he had the song done already. He made it a dance version, know as dembow because he wants to help with movement and more people will pay attention if it's a dance song.

http://youthvoices.net/discussion/do-you-know-who-joseph-kony-and-what-k...

Dear Tyler I am very

Submitted by shamars on Mon, 2012-03-12 12:45.

Dear Tyler

I am very interested in you post about Kony 2012 because its about something that actually matters. I think the reasons that everything that Jason Russell is doing for people is just amazing. I was really touched by his story and the stories of the many people that he wants to help in Uganda in Africa. I was expressly touched by Jacobs story, after hearing about his brother and his people I was almost moved to tears which isn’t really a normal emotion for me unless I’m joking around.

Truth be told this is most definitely not a joking situation. The things I heard about Joseph Kony who is the man that made a army using children as his soldiers. One part that stood out to me in your post was: “ Recently, Invisible Children initiated a sort of ultimatum.” I don’t quite understand what that means but I hope whatever ultimatum they have in mind works because we need to help them regain their freedom.

Another thing that stood out to me was: “ An independent activist group created "Invisible Children" to push back the murderous forces of Joseph Kony and Kony himself.” The actions of Joseph Kony was just uncalled for. The thing that just fires me up is the fact that Joseph has no motives to do such a thing all he wants is to keep the power he has, “ which is not going to last long f.y.i.”

As I read on I came across another sentence that stood out to me it said: “It's like our train is finally moving, and after sitting silent and still on the tracks for so long, we've begun hurdling toward success in our own way.” I think this is a interesting statement because everything that this country knows, understand, and follows is things from the past. Even though those rules worked back then, I think its about time to change. Those rules from the past were meant to benefit the people of the past. I also believe that as time goes and the way people change the rules should also adjust itself to match modern time and society.

Tyler thank you for putting up such a touchy topic that the government ignored for so long. I hope that Joseph Kony gets what he deserves and justice I taken care of. Thanks again your writing was very meaning full hope to see you write back goodbye.

KONY 2012

Submitted by diaibr on Tue, 2012-03-13 07:54.

Dear Tyler,

I enjoyed reading your post "KONY 2012 - The Hype, The Technology and The Success" because it was interesting. I learned that we can do a lot with technology and the internet these days. I also learned that technology and the internet can unite the world to stop a serious problem.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is "But when the force of forty million teenagers thumping away at a keyboard leads to the possibility of the capture of a Ugandan warlord, I think that says something about technology." I think this is amazing because this proves for once this enormous amount of young teenager aren't only on the internet to connect with their friends on facebook or twitter. This proves that young people care too and they want to make a difference in the world.

Other sentences that I liked was "I am so proud of my generation, and what we've discovered we can do. And I'm proud of the Internet." This stood out for me because it helps me understand that you're proud of what a group of young people can accomplish on the internet. I share your feeling on this as well.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you had some interesting thoughts on this topic. I think you really admire this "youth movement" and have strong feeling towards it. This post about KONY 2012 was a great article.

Down with Kony.

Dear Type, I am very

Submitted by josev on Tue, 2012-03-13 16:57.

Dear Tyler,

I am very interested and would like to help as much as I can im going to get the action kit too show awareness all over. I hope this monster is stopped before he does anything else.

Dear Tyler, It was really

Submitted by wildav on Thu, 2012-03-15 09:30.

Dear Tyler,

It was really interesting reading all the articles of KONY you put up, it informed and help me understand more the situation. On the passage " The Hype, The Technology and The Success " the speaker made me understand more about the situation, because he described the reason why we're looking for this guy, KONY is an invisible guy, and our goal is to make him visible. It was a smart idea to spread all of this controversy all over the internet, specially on most popular websites like Facebook and Youtube. " but when the force of forty million teenagers thumping away at a keyboard leads to the possibility of the capture of a Uganda warlord, i think that says something about technology " i like this quote because it was really a smart way to inform everyone of whats going on in the world, now in days people find out about the world controversies over the internet.

Another quote that stuck out to me from " Uganda Rebel, Kony. soars to Topic No.1 in online video " was Jason Russell said he never knew he was driving into a was zone..." This guy Jason Russell is the guy that came up with the capture of Kony, it all started when a African friend of his named Jacob started telling him a devastated story about how Kony killed his brother rite in front of him, that's where Jason started worrying about this situation.

" the video takes it as one of its primary goals. Making Mr. Kony infamous, after all, is just a click away.

This video has captured everyone's eyes. worldwide, this video has also changed everyone's way of thinking about helping on something that has nothing to do with them. For example the United States didnt want to get involved in this situation because it didn't affect us any political or economical way.

This topic have moved everyone's heart and thoughts to a diffrent position where now everyone wants to help this kids that are being abused.

Dear Tyler, The 1st time I

Submitted by caseyc on Thu, 2012-03-15 10:03.

Dear Tyler,

The 1st time I saw the video I really didn't pay attention to it but the second time around I did, this is powerful stuff. How can someone just take these kids and brainwash them into killing their parents or other people? It so sad. Hearing Jacob say "I would rather die then live" is Crazy! but yet so understandable. He's free but not entirely where as to he can walk the street with out having to look behind him so he figures if he were dead it wouldn't have to worry.
The second thing i heard in the video that stood out to me was that "The government wouldn't get involved" These are young children we are talking about, being raped, kidnapped, and forced to shoot people. This opens my eyes because basically what their saying is that it's not a problem or concern of theirs, no threat is being done to us. Now with that being said what if Kony was to decide he wanted to launch an attack on us? How would you feel if they could of stopped him from the beginning.
One thing that you said that stand out for me is that "People complain about the internet" If the internet did not exist kony would have been doing this forever, so many helpless young boys and girls being damaged mentally would never be saved.
This is touching and moving to see people come together to stop him. It's great I hope to see what else you have to post.

I Agree completely with

Submitted by krystalm on Thu, 2012-03-15 10:17.

I agree completely with what's being said in this post. What stood out to me most was "I find it so fascinating that within weeks of an idea's conception, people splatter it all over the Internet with millions of hungry eyes feasting. But what's great about this instance is that it is something good. People complain about the Internet. Teacher's complain about Wikipedia, politicians complain about hype and teenagers complain that it's not fast enough. But when the force of forty million teenagers thumping away at a keyboard leads to the possibility of the capture of a Ugandan warlord, I think that says something about technology. Even if Kony isn't captured, which could happen, at least now the world knows that an expansive platform for spreading ideas truly does exist.

"Now, we can use the internet to improve the human condition even more than thought before" with this being said speaks on the behalf of most teenagers including myself so i can strongly vouch with this opinion.

Another thing that stood out for me that was said is "One other thing I find so energizing about this whole hype is that this uprising is mostly communicated and inspired by people under the age of thirty. I have heard my fair share of adults complaining about teenagers and how young people are lazy, unintelligent and lackadaisical people, but when the youth of our world form together to take down one of the worst criminals, those old people who dislike the way we work will understand that we are simply taking a new approach to old problems. We're adapting to our environment. It's like our train is finally moving, and after sitting silent and still on the tracks for so long, we've begun hurdling toward success in our own way." These words that are put together just makes me feel like I wrote this myself. I admire the support you speak of when you write how much more teenagers put thought into this issue we are trying to get rid of by the end of this year to help others just like us.

I also can say what you said here "To sum up. I am so proud of my generation, and what we've discovered we can do", can sum up for us all."

Great comment

Submitted by anthonyf on Tue, 2012-03-20 13:07.

Dear Krystal,

I am Intrigue about your comment on Tyler essay because you describe topics in which I use to describe on how I feel about the Kony 2012 topic.I also how you detail about what you do like and what you dislike.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is " I have heard my fair share of adults complaining about teenagers".I think this is very descriptive because it shows that our youth is becoming more social in the world than before with the internet.I found that becoming more social with each other we would be able to step in the right direction and everybody could agree on each other and do what we could do TOGETHER.

I'm learning more about the internet and how if it does make us more social with everybody else in the world.In particular what im wondering is "Is internet making society more social".I was researching online,and this blog post caught my attention because it says here that people who are using Facebook are least to take part in school activities.Economists found we use 95% of the internet to find out information.89% use it for email.It spark my interest because the world grows everyday but the internet is just faster and is such a great tool in life and we people should be so grateful just because of it.We have yet more freedom on such topics with the government,news media,Entertainment.

"The survey found that 60% of teenagers said they were highly addicted to their smart phones, with 7% of them claiming they now spend less time socializing with their friends"The quote I chose here is basically saying that a survey took place and teenagers are becoming less talkative with other people,friends,parents,adults.Based on this source I do agree with you that the young youth have the better advantage and that you prove your statement by showing that were not dumb or stupid because if we catch this criminal it will prove to us that we could carry out tasks.

Thanks for your writing I look forward to seeing what you write next,because I would like to talk more about the youth and what could our generation could do in the future lives. I'm going to carry out by participating in this event and see what I as an individual could do an impact on KONY 2012!.

Cite Page For "Does the internet makes us more sociable"?
Unknown. (2011) Does the internet make us more sociable?. psfk, [blog] August 10 2011, Available at: http://www.psfk.com/2011/08/does-the-internet-makes-us-more-sociable.html [Accessed: March 20 2012].

Dear Tyler, At the beginning

Submitted by thaliac on Thu, 2012-03-15 10:25.

Dear Tyler,

At the beginning of the video I thought it was going to be boring. I did not like it, but I continued to watch. And it was interesting. I was in shock! It was sad, & the things Jason Russell did to help these people was breathtaking. Jacobs words that he wish to tell his brother again made me tear.

"Where you live shouldn't determine whether you live."

Hearing this quote made me realize how all those people were losing their lives for no reason and forced to do things that were needless. How can one person have this kind of power?

Another quote that stuck out to me from "KONY 2012", was "No child should live in fear of being abducted or killed". It opens my eyes because these kids need support! They wish they had what we have here today. They want to go to school. They don't want to live their life knowing they wont be breathing in the next two minutes.

I hope that they find this KONY person and make him suffer how he did to those families. Also his little "army" he made. Some way some how!

KONY 2012 !

Dear Thalia,I am very

Submitted by krystalm on Wed, 2012-03-21 09:42.

Dear Thalia,

I am very Infatuated with the way you expressed how you felt about the video from beginning to end, and how sudden your feelings began to change as you watched into it more. One sentence that stood out for me was "Jacobs words that he wish to tell his brother again made me tear.
"Where you live shouldn't determine whether you live" that touched me also in the Kony 2012 video and when I read your comment it just made me want to watch the video again and take position and become apart of "making a difference" in what we think is just an issues in another country but it's really a very intense tragedy that messed up a lot of lives of young innocent children, the youth and elderly people(many more.)I Also can say I agree with what you said here " How can one person have this kind of power? " the crazy maddness that is going on and the treatment that is being dealt with daily, wow(tears.) Im learning more about the KONY2012 issue that is addressed in the video, right now I've been looking up different people post, opinions and the debates about "KONY2012"....

I'm interested

Submitted by adot on Fri, 2012-03-16 12:26.

I was watching this video on YouTube and this really caught my attention. I think that this man Joseph Kony should really be put away for the things that he’s doing to these little people. As I watched this video I felt the pain that those little kids were and had to go through and this made me think about what if I was in that predicament, I would want someone to help me.

I couldn't believe it when I saw that the video had over 50,000,000 views in one week and in the post they “I'm hoping that you, the reader, are one of 43,354,020 people who has seen this video and therefore know what I am referring to.” because I really did know what he was talking about.

Another quote that surprised me was “Down with Kony.” because I was thinking the same thing .

I just thought that I should put my opinion and showing that I'm interested.

Inspiration.

Submitted by anthonyf on Mon, 2012-03-19 12:47.

Dear Tyler

I'm interested on what you wrote because it's very detail on how you explain those three main topics "Hype,Technology, Success".I also like to take part in this organization,but the problem is yet us the youth of this generation could not do a big impact on gathering troops and sending the u.s government to go and capture this criminal.The reason why is because were not famous and they the politics is in a situation about becoming president not saving Africa.I predict that even if Kony is stop,They will (A new powerful rebel leader)will come up and do the same acts of Kony.This world is chaos and chaos is whats makes peace.

One quote I found that catch me by the eye is on paragraph 4"One other thing I find so energizing about this whole hype is that this uprising is mostly communicated and inspired by people under the age of thirty."I know the reason the youth of this generation including myself is using the web and the media to a whole different level.An example to prove my theory was the genocide of Rwanda,Many Americans did not know about this dilemma because we did not have much use of the internet.We did not have you tube or Facebook NOTHING!.Millions of people was killed and this tragedy is far worse than Kony acts.What my point is that now that we have social networking.We can figure out tragedies of the world in a heartbeat.

Another quote I found appealing to me is on the last paragraph "To sum up. I am so proud of my generation, and what we've discovered we can do. And I'm proud of the Internet".We have power from this source we gather knowledge because of this source and it whats makes the world connected.Not many people are starting trouble against one another instead we are joined as one as a world and in many years ahead of us.There will be a time where civilians from all parts of the world gather together and maybe just maybe one day we can become a utopia society and finally the word peace can really come about and start playing its role on mother nature,The earth.

Engaging

Submitted by nabill on Mon, 2012-03-19 20:45.

If you haven’t watched the “Kony 2012″ video that went viral in recent weeks, you are likely becoming part of a minority group. As of March 14th the video has received more than 93 million views on sites like YouTube and Vimeo. Video director Jason Russell (co-founder of Invisible Children) utilizes engaging techniques and imagery to share Invisible Children’s campaign to stop Joseph Kony from continuing to use violence against people in Central Africa.

This has been blowing up through out social networks and if you haven't seen it yet then you probably should to see what all the hype is about. There is much controversy over the topic, but one thing is certain, this man must be stopped. I provided you with a link to the video.

complete agreement? most definitely yes!

Submitted by joeyp on Tue, 2012-03-20 12:50.

Invisible Children, organization to make horrors in Uganda and other African countries by Joseph Kony and his LRA(Lords Resistance Army) visible to not just America, but the world. Jason Russell and his Invisible Children organization created a video, making this known to the world, exploding everywhere and staying put in everyone's minds, whether you agree with Invisible Children or not. The audience that this video was meant for was the youth, people under 30, the "computer reliant." Of course adults had come to see this as well, but not before the youth as they would be expected to see it since the internet and technology is a major part of their lives. Jason Russell had went to Uganda for a story and was compelled to do more after he had seen the horrors there. He spent ten years doing as much as he can with his activist to end this and bring it visible until his immediate fame of the "Kony 2012" video. Jason Russell stated on the major issue "We are going to do, everything we can, to stop them!"

Hearing this quote brings about empowerment to do something. It shows that he has felt a need for him to respond, to let everyone know, to stop this man before his actions reach heightened points, more heightened than it has already been visible. This also creates hope, hope that he will succeed along with the world in this issue, even if he doesn't, the hope has already been created and seen by everyone.

In this particular response to the video, i feel that he has clearly seen the issue in depth. He states "Inspiration is as contagious as any virus, and ideas are infectious." The Invisible Children has created inspiration, much like any inspiration, like little kids wanting to be Michael Jordan, but on a greater scale; a morally right scale; a scale to save other human beings. The video made this contagious, known by everyone. And the infectious ideas unites us all, in New York, the East Coast, the United States, the world!

Another quote standing out to me, "Even if Kony isn't captured, which could happen, at least now the world knows that an expansive platform for spreading ideas truly does exist. Now, we can use the internet to improve the human condition even more than thought before." Isn't it amazing how one global event can affect future ones to come? The bigger picture seen here, bigger then Uganda and other African countries facing the effects of Joseph Kony and his LRA, the internet is for everyone's use, and using it can make a voice of everyone by simply typing, not even verbally speak. We have the knowledge now, the realism that we have the power, united in one voice to let our ideas be known, not just the governments but ours. Our voice has potential to produce laws, to tell our government to take action, even to end future wars!

We have the power, it's our state, country, world! If we speak up we have the power. We can take action in the laziest ways. Insane how you can be lounging on your couch in your pj's , pb&j holding your slight attention, and helping change the world on your laptop, tablet, phone even. We can help catch horrible men like Joseph Kony, all we have to do is press power on.

the video that i watched

Submitted by shatiat on Wed, 2012-03-21 09:14.

the video that i watched "kony 2012" took place in I think new york. me being the audience i understood where he was coming from about needed peace on earth no matter where you are in the world we can all help each other. the speaker was trying to portray the image of helping others when they needed by speaking out and becoming an advocate for others.

" I would rather die than live through this anymore"

this quote stood out for me because it came from a little boy from Uganda that was abducted by kony and watched his brother get killed in front of him while trying to escape. hearing this quote made me realize and appreciate what I have at home and make me grateful for having freedom without living in fear of anything.

another quote that stood out to me is when the speaker said "if by april 2012, the government decides that they can't find Joseph Kony they will leave Uganda". that quote stood out to me because i feel that its wrong to jus leave other people in fear of their own kind. just because they are not apart of the united states doesn't mean that they don't matter. another thing that bothered me about this quote is that they wasnt there for long, the mission is to catch a single man and return all the abducted children back to they're parents. a thousand soldiers and they can't find one man who has so much power.

"that we demanded change instead of jus settling for the word no'

this quote to me feels better than anything. that the white house turned them down the first time about catching and stopping kony, that didn't stop they';re drive and ambition to complete they're mission. they gathered , planned and make profit that goes toward ccompleting the mission. people came together to help protect other people in the world regardless if they knew them or not.

in conclusion i support the plan of KONY 2012 and hope that we catch him !

Kony 2012 !

Submitted by azizar on Fri, 2012-03-23 12:14.

Watching “Kony 2012 - The Hype, The Technology, The Success" with my classmates has open my eyes to the success of technology. Thru technology we are able to communicate with one another from different sides of the world. Social networks like Facebook and YouTube allow us to share our thoughts, videos, and pictures with the world. This video is an awareness video creating awareness of Joseph Kony a Ugandan warlord. Kony raised an army for decades, he gathers rebels and kidnaps children in nearby villages as a way of populating his force. Him and his army rape amd murder people for the sake of gaining power, power for no reason with no clear result except but to gain more power. The director of this video says, “It takes numbers to remind the people."

Hearing the quote above made me realize that the people won’t pay attention unless everyone else is interested. It's sad that there has to be a lot of people interested in the what’s going on before the government will take action. This isn’t very fair to the people suffering unnecessarily. Technology allowed the rest of the world to see whats happening to these children and families.

In the video they say, “Where you live shouldn’t determine whether you live.“

NO one should be killed because of where they live, or where they come from. Crazy people kill innocent people from other parts of the world and don't have the power to defend themselves. It is our job to share what's going on with the world so we may help these people. We will stop Kony.

KONY 2012 !!!