Language

What I'm good at

The idea of language is strange really. Communication through body signals makes sense to some degree, but the whole sound equals object, action, essence is quite strange. Humans can make many sounds with their voices, and with pitch differentiation, those sounds can take on thousands of different meanings, strung together, you would think that humans would have a word for every concept ever conceived, but yet sometimes we have a hard time describing basic situations. Our voices are much more developed then those of other animals, how did we evolve to be able to speak. What made the trait of language skills desirable for the human species, but not herd animals, which would seem to benefit from being able to warn each other of attackers.

The human vocal apparatus appears to access a much wider range of articulatory configurations, and this fact is due, in part, to its specialized design features.” -http://books.google.com/books?id=QbunyscCJBoC&pg=RA1-PA212&lpg=RA1-PA212&dq=human+vocalization&source=bl&ots=QKwo_lTkuq&sig=AdYpXjECP180dvfF3EQro5gs5wI&hl=en&ei=DKLSSpO9MIWMswP0s8XvCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CDUQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=human vocalization&f=false

Or are heard animals in the process of of being weeded out when they have poor communication skills. Communication between species is actually somewhat possible for example: we can tell when a cat is in distress, most animals growl when they feel threatened, dogs wag their tails when they are excited, etc. This leads to the question: Who decides what things mean? Who decided Webster's Collegiate Dictionary dictates what is a word, and what is not? Humans that are not lingually compatible seem to be able to communicate with motion that is fairly standardized even among cultures on opposite sides of the globe. Who decided the meaning of these motions? Are the preprogramed? I wish I hadn't started thinking about this.

Hi, I agree with your

Submitted by bjud0319 on Thu, 2010-04-15 01:42.

Hi, I agree with your article. We really have to stop and think about the fact that it is strange for a momment because at  our  age we've been speaking it for a long time. If we do think, of other languages such as: Spanish or German then we would call those strange also.