Late Start, Better Grades

by: Anonymous
What I'm good at

Science has now confirmed what every teenager has been feeling since the beginning of school, sleep is better.  New research from Brown University has found that the hormone that makes people sleep, melatonin, is "much higher in the mornings" particulary when school is starting.  Research found that teenagers have much higher levels of melatonin later at night and earlier in the morning then pre-teens and adults.  

Everyone knows that sleep affects mood, attitude, attention, and performance to name a few. Many call the starting time of high schools "inhumane", so a high school in suburban Minnesota changed its' start time to 9 instead of 7.  The teachers and the students both noticed a substantial change.  Students are more awake in all of their classes, grades are up, and they seem happier.  Some other schools have now started to change their schedules in states ranging from California to Colorado and the east coast.  All have found similar results and have not run into many problems.

Some adminstrators and parents are worried that after school jobs and sports would be affected, but the schools that have changed have found that employers are usually more then willing to comply to the later dismissal and sports have just been moved back or shortened.  

So it seems that more sleep and a later start to school doesn't seem to have glaring negatives and deserves a chance in every school.

IF SLEEP IS BETTER THAN WHY

Submitted by JocelinG on Thu, 2010-01-21 21:25.

IF SLEEP IS BETTER THAN WHY HAVE SCHOOL- WE SHOULD SLEEP INSTEAD.