The Lavatorial Ghost

by: 16rahmanm

I created the Scratch animation “The Lavatorial Ghost” as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story that is meant to teach a subject related to ethics and may contain a character making an ethical decision. Examples of ethical stories include The Tortoise and the Hare, which presents an amusing situation- especially children- but also demonstrates an ethical concept.

My story is about a guy named Santos who is asked by his friend Abraham to deliver a love letter to his crush, Lupe, but when Santos goes to present the letter he hears a noise from the bathroom, and when he goes to investigate he is greeted by the ghost of a hand asking for toilet paper, and is threatened to be haunted unless no paper is given. The viewer has the choice of giving the ghost the paper or not giving it- giving it will result in Santos being haunted by the ghost for betraying his friend, and by not giving the letter, the ghost will give the letter to Lupe herself, and Santos fulfills his duties as a friend.

My story was inspired by the video game the Legend of Zelda Majora’s Mask, where the player is given a love letter and is forced to choose between giving it to a hand to use as toilet paper or give it to the person it was meant to be given.

I think I was successful in creating my story because I presented a slightly humourous yet serious situation where the character is required to make a harrowing decision- choose to be haunted by a ghost or follow his friend’s wishes. The story is appropriate for people of any age, the two consequences that arise from the decision are very different as well and are also funny. Despite being somewhat ridiculous, my story should teach people about the meaning of true friendship.

Overall, I liked your story.

16parhamr's picture
Submitted by 16parhamr on Wed, 2012-01-04 17:20.

Overall, I liked your story. I expecially liked when Santos obtained the love letter, because it resembles a scene in many RPGs where a player obtains an item. The wrong choice was very tempting, and I chose it the first time. Nothing was confusing, but the parts where Santos flips upside down threw me off a little. Just a little.

Great Job Munawar

16matovica's picture
Submitted by 16matovica on Thu, 2012-01-05 22:14.

I really enjoyed your story and to be honest it was one of my favorite ones. The animations were very clever. I loved the Memes and the song, it added humor to your story.
I wasn't confused by anything I thought your Scratch project was just plain out great.
The ethical dilemma in your story showed me that I should not lie and betray my friends. I thought this was portrayed in your story very well and I could understand everything fine. Great job!

Great Job Munawar

16matovica's picture

Enjoyed the project

16chungk's picture
Submitted by 16chungk on Fri, 2012-01-06 00:15.

I liked how the project was very clear and smooth with no glitches or confusions. I thought the ending of the wrong's choice was pretty funny. Good job!

I liked your interactive

17zhul's picture
Submitted by 17zhul on Tue, 2012-04-24 16:20.

I liked your animation because everything was clear and it was all the timing was pretty accurate!
The ethical dilemma was very intersting. I watched both possible endings, they were both very funny!

Hilarious Ending

17medinak's picture
Submitted by 17medinak on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:37.

I liked how in the end, you played Rebecca Black if you pressed the yes option.
I thought the dilemma was understandable, since it shows friends are worth caring about.

Project Response

17ohs's picture
Submitted by 17ohs on Sun, 2012-04-29 19:53.

The plot of your story is humoring, and both outcomes were interesting and very comidical.
Your ethical dilemma is very relaable to, in a sense; to choose between giving in to a bully, or in this case, a ghost in need, or sticking by your friend. The dilemma is one where many people can relate to. Overall, the project was a success.

BEST PROJECT YET!

Submitted by 17rajagopala on Sun, 2012-04-29 22:18.

Your project had AMAZING quality, and the ethical dilemma presented was really a dilemma. It made sense, instead of some others whose animations weren't really clear what their dilemmas were. Also, your project was actually INTERACTIVE, where you could type something in. You did a really good job and the sprites are AWESOME.

Cool Project

Submitted by 16biswaso on Mon, 2014-04-07 12:35.

I think that it is very cool that you made a scratch ‘video’ about the Legend of Zelda. Like you I am very interested in the topic. However, since it has been a while since I have explored animation software and even longer since I have written a good story, I decided to write a story instead. It is also about the Legend of Zelda series; however, it is based off of Link’s Awakening.

Cool Project

I think that it is very cool that you made a scratch ‘video’ about the Legend of Zelda. Like you I am very interested in the topic. However, since it has been a while since I have explored animation software and even longer since I have written a good story, I decided to write a story instead. It is also about the Legnd of Zelda series; however, it is based off of Link’s Awakening.