The Life of the Ugly Duckling

by: 16moyv

I created the Scratch animation The Life of the Ugly Duckling as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story.

An ethical story is about bullying. I explained how bullying is not right whichever path you chose.
My story is about bullying. In the beginning of the story, the mother duck was looking at her eggs wondering why there was one egg that looked different from the others. The eggs then hatched but there was one that was different from all of the others. There was a duckling that was very ugly. The mother duck then wondered what would happen to the ugly duckling but then got over quickly. After that scene, the brothers and sisters of the ugly duckling make fun of it because it is so ugly. The Ugly duckling then talked to himself about how he was always made fun of. You then got two chooses, one was to help the Ugly duckling or bully it with his siblings. If you helped it, the Ugly duckling would turn into a beautiful swan, but if you chose to bully it, than the Ugly duckling would commit suicide.

My story was inspired by a childhood book I read when I was a kid.

I think I was successful in creating my story because the animation was longer than three minutes long, the story was interactive, there were two ethical choices, there were two endings, I also gave the credit to the authors of all the music, and the story was appropriate for children up to 13 years old.

Comment

16chowdhurym's picture
Submitted by 16chowdhurym on Wed, 2012-01-04 09:58.

I enjoyed how your story was smooth. I like the endings too. I think that bullying can result to this sort of ending.

I noticed that the title screen takes so long to change. You could decrease it's time.

The ethical dilemma in your story was interesting. This actually has happened in real life. The end is actually possible. That is why this dilemma is interesting.

your story

16benaresa's picture
Submitted by 16benaresa on Wed, 2012-01-04 18:42.

I enjoyed how you based it off the ugly duckling. I thought it was a good way to teach people to not bully. I also thought it was funny when you chose the bully option, not that the duck died but that the duck appeared on a building.
I wasn't confused by anything because i understood everything that happened in your story.
The ethical dilemma in your story was save the duck or bully the duck until it committed suicide. I thought that it was pretty straightforward. I just watched the duck get bullied then i watched i had to choose to save it or let it commit suicide.

Feedback

16rahmana's picture
Submitted by 16rahmana on Thu, 2012-01-05 18:00.

Justin, I though your animation was good. It had an ethical story where viewers can make a decision. I also like the music throughout the whole animation. It was really funny and a good touch. One thing that I found confusing is that, okay the ugly duckling is upset. His self-esteem is really low, but why does he have to jump off a building? He could have just held his breath in the water until he dies. And if your viewers had chosen to make the ugly duckling’s siblings help him, they didn’t help him at all to become beautiful. He TRANSFORMED into a swan. Overall, I liked your animation. The ethical decisions that the viewers had to take were good and this can be a real life situation.

I the story and the animation

Submitted by 16linj on Thu, 2012-01-05 20:37.

I the story and the animation because it was clear and easy to comprehend.The theme/ lesson is clear and i like the sound effect when you either help or don't help the duckling.
I noticed that the beginning was very long and it took up a lot of time. i think that you should make it shorter, but it is still fine the way it is.
I understood the choices that were provided for the player to make and they were two serious ones. this would teach kids not to bully and to treat each other with respect.

I liked all the sound effects

16islamr's picture
Submitted by 16islamr on Tue, 2012-01-24 16:06.

I liked all the sound effects you put into your animation, " LIKE A BOSS" to be specific. It was very entertaining and absolutely FUNNY in both choices, and there wasn't one moment when I became bored watching it.

I noticed that the part where the ugly ducking changed into a swan really defeated the purpose of the ethical decision. If the other ducks stopped bullying him, couldn't he have just stayed himself so that the viewers could realize " the beauty within."When they stopped bullying him, he all of a sudden became a beautiful swan? Was that supposed to represent the idea that the duck was actually beautiful? You should make this clearer, maybe the duck doesn't turn into a swan but instead gets along with his brothers and sisters, or something like that. In the end, he could still be like a boss, but still himself.

The ethical dilemma in your story was save the duck and make it feel better or bully the duck until it committed suicide. That was pretty clear. I understood the choices, however, the bad choice wasn't very tempting. I could obviously see that the ugly duck was desperate and most people wouldn't really choose to bully more. The mechanism for making choices was very clear. Overall, awesome job.